Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem here is that Tesla is trying to honor deals based on order date but there is no correlation between the order date and delivery date of vehicles. So two people could be standing right next to each other at the delivery center waiting to take delivery of their Model 3.

One person ordered the car on May 30, the other person on June 1. The May 30 order is entitled to Homelink, the June 1 order is not. But to the two customers taking delivery of the same car on the same day nothing is going to seem fair other than both customers getting Homelink on their due bill. So regardless of whatever Tesla does here they are not going to look very organized.

The problem here is that Tesla is trying to honor deals based on order date but there is no correlation between the order date and delivery date of vehicles. So two people could be standing right next to each other at the delivery center waiting to take delivery of their Model 3.

One person ordered the car on May 30, the other person on June 1. The May 30 order is entitled to Homelink, the June 1 order is not. But to the two customers taking delivery of the same car on the same day nothing is going to seem fair other than both customers getting Homelink on their due bill. So regardless of whatever Tesla does here they are not going to look very organized.

I disagree. If there is a simple writen communication to delivery centers with a straightforward explanation of who is entitled and who is not, based on order date, and the rationale behind it, then there should not be any confusion

Yah I get that. But margin and profit is important. They may piss off 30 percent of the buyers but the rest of us could give a crap. And if Tesla doesn’t start making money none of us we’ll be able to get shiny new Tesla’s. They are struggling. They need to do what it takes.

We just put a 2000 dollar deposit on a 2020 Nissan Leaf SL Eplus. I had no choice but to get the Homelink feature. Wish it would have been an option. When we get a model Y hopefully it will be an option and not in the price.
But did Tesla reduce the price of the car by $300? - I do not think so. Furthermore they should have included this as an option for the customer while selecting the options as now customers will have to undergo the inconvenience of buying the home link after the delivery and then waiting for 2-3 weeks for an appointment with the service station. For a $62000 car (LR + Premium), it should have been included.

Reactions: Joey_82
But did Tesla reduce the price of the car by $300? - I do not think so. Furthermore they should have included this as an option for the customer while selecting the options as now customers will have to undergo the inconvenience of buying the home link after the delivery and then waiting for 2-3 weeks for an appointment with the service station. For a $62000 car (LR + Premium), it should have been included.

No. It shouldn’t. What if you decide to not pick up the car or change your mind post delivery and return it? Then they have this inventory car that they have to specifically mark on their site as having HomeLink etc etc. It complicates things.

You can argue that it’s lame that Tesla removed its inclusion in the first place. But it makes sense that as comparatively small as Tesla is - that it wouldn’t be an option they’d waste time on prior to delivery for so few people.

I don't even really care about +$300 for the damn garage door opener. But let the customer add it when they show up to purchase the vehicle. I live hours away from service and service is booked for weeks and I have much better things to do than take another day off work for a garage door opener being added to a car.

Reactions: LoL Rick
I don't even really care about +$300 for the damn garage door opener. But let the customer add it when they show up to purchase the vehicle. I live hours away from service and service is booked for weeks and I have much better things to do than take another day off work for a garage door opener being added to a car.

This is why living hours away from service should be taken into consideration when purchasing a vehicle that may need service.

I hear the complaint, but recognize that Tesla is not an ordinary car manufacturer and things are a little different. I’m sure that if/when Tesla gets as big as other normal manufacturers, you’ll get your wish. Until then...

This is why living hours away from service should be taken into consideration when purchasing a vehicle that may need service.

I hear the complaint, but recognize that Tesla is not an ordinary car manufacturer and things are a little different. I’m sure that if/when Tesla gets as big as other normal manufacturers, you’ll get your wish. Until then...
This seems to be the real bottom line about Tesla these days. It's still a very young disorganized company with some great features and some terrible ones as well. Mostly it's not under very good control.

For anyone expecting the kind of service delivered by any of the major ICE manufacturers on much less expensive cars, buying a Tesla may well be a disappointment. It's still a brand really suitable only for enthusiasts and should always be treated as such. Everyone else probably should hold off for 5 or 10 more years.

It is easy to add content to a car at little to no cost but very hard to remove it. Especially, when the price has gone up $400 just a month ago.
I took delivery for a LRDual Motors M3 yesterday and was looking for the HomeLink icon high and low and not seeing it. Now I realized it is an option. What bugs me is when I built my car, I did not see it as an option to add. It is a nice to have. Now back to my good old clicker.

I took delivery for a LRDual Motors M3 yesterday and was looking for the HomeLink icon high and low and not seeing it. Now I realized it is an option. What bugs me is when I built my car, I did not see it as an option to add. It is a nice to have. Now back to my good old clicker.

It isn’t an option to add during the build. It’s just considered an accessory now. Like floor mats, diecast model cars etc.

I have the home link installed but disabled it. I find that I can not trust it. I pulled into my driveway and the door opened properly. I had stopped prior to actually entering the garage. When I started to drive forward again it started to close. I have no idea what happened but I am not trusting a $60K car under it. I simply bought a remote (actually two). I have one in the house and one in the car. They work well plus I do not have to worry about the door closing accidentally. If you live in an apartment you can always put one in your keys. Oh, the remotes are $25 each. A lot cheaper than $300.

I have the home link installed but disabled it. I find that I can not trust it. I pulled into my driveway and the door opened properly. I had stopped prior to actually entering the garage. When I started to drive forward again it started to close. I have no idea what happened but I am not trusting a $60K car under it. I simply bought a remote (actually two). I have one in the house and one in the car. They work well plus I do not have to worry about the door closing accidentally. If you live in an apartment you can always put one in your keys. Oh, the remotes are $25 each. A lot cheaper than $300.
You can disable the auto open and close feature and just use it manually on the screen like you would with your $25 opener.

FWIW mobile service is coming to my house to install mine. But if you live hours away from service mobile service may not come to you.

What was the mobile installation process like? How long does it take? What part of the new car does the service technician tear into? It's seems like the module is a simple "plug into harness" mode, but where does it go? I ask these questions in advance of a "mobile service" appointment I have next Monday, July 8th. I'm also wondering how long I will have to "hang around". Thanks for sharing your experience!

Just be aware that homelink (in nearly all cases) is a simple "toggle" control. When your kids are playing in the drive with the garage open, the car will close the door.
You can adjust the Homelink to open at different approach distances. The screen Home icon lights up when you reach this point and you can touch the screen to cancel the operation. My husband works in the garage frequently with door open, so I use this feature a lot.

Yes, a manual opener is simple, but why fight technology? Isn't that why we drive Teslas? IMO, it's a nice touch. I keep my opener in the center console just in case. The electric opener was pretty rare in the 60s when my parents put one in, and now who doesn't have one? How long before they'll be saying the same thing about us EV drivers?!

I use the Homelink but I don't set it to auto open or auto close. It just pops up on the screen when in range and I touch the screen to open or close it. Simple and reliable. Furthermore, if the garage door is installed with the proper safety sensors it should never close on the car or anyone else.

Reactions: jebinc
This makes me super sad that Homelink isn't standard and I was super confused when I traded in a 100xxx VIN with Homelink installed to a 408xxx VIN. I seriously was looking for the Homelink button for 30 minutes and scheduled an SC visit until I checked the forums...

This makes me super sad that Homelink isn't standard and I was super confused when I traded in a 100xxx VIN with Homelink installed to a 408xxx VIN. I seriously was looking for the Homelink button for 30 minutes and scheduled an SC visit until I checked the forums...

Agreed. It is always much harder to take features away than it is to add them. Especially in a luxury sedan market where Homelink is normally standard.