Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink - UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep looking at that Chamberlain but not 100% sure if it will fit our control unit - I suspect that it acts as a contact across the control unit switch - which unfortunately is tri-state. I've also heard of it not working on at least one occasion. But if I was going to go for one, that would be the solution I would go for.

Unfortunately the one control unit I have access to is the least useful one to link up. The other two would be more useful - communal gate access - so pulling up and driving through would be very useful. When this Covid mess is all over, I'll probably have a play with the one that part programs.

[edit]@Roy W. - did you retrofit the Chaimberlain unit?

Reactions: CMc1
Does each activation of the Chamberlain simply mimic a button press on on the control unit? ie its wired in parallel with the switch on the main control unit.

So if I had a tri state button physically on the control unit, open / halt / close, would each press of the homelink button then cycle through open / halt / close? That would not be particularly useful, especially if halt is triggered mid open/close as unit then effectively reverses.

Does each activation of the Chamberlain simply mimic a button press on on the control unit? ie its wired in parallel with the switch on the main control unit.

So if I had a tri state button physically on the control unit, open / halt / close, would each press of the homelink button then cycle through open / halt / close? That would not be particularly useful, especially if halt is triggered mid open/close as unit then effectively reverses.
I installed the Chamberlain PR433-4 on my garage door opener in December last year (2019) and it has been working flawlessly. If it is helpful I can upload a scan of the owner/installation manual. I am not handy at all and simply wired it into the two contacts into which a wall switch had been wired to the opener. I believe it does work as you describe which if I'm understanding correctly is also how my garage opener works -- first press of button initiates open or close depending if door is closed or open, second press stops door and third press reverses the motion. When I trigger it in the car it mimics a single press on the button. The Chamberlain unit is configurable to provide different switch pulse options. Mine is set for single short pulse. Let me know if having a copy of the manual would be helpful.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and MrBadger
Thanks for that, very helpful. I think I did stumble across a copy of the manual so atm, I don't think it is needed. A couple of things with the garage door need sorting before it could be fitted which I'll probably end up sorting next year. So I'm not in any rush.

Last edited:
I've raised a service request for Homelink auto-open not working while the car is in reverse. It's a bit of a pain because half the reason for setting up a universal receiver was to have it work automatically!

Does anyone know if there is anyway to remotely add homelink to my roller garage door please?

I have something similar to this at the moment and think you can wire in a remote button
Neco Essati
I think the only real option is the afore mentioned Homelink branded Universal receiver (PR433-4). I’ve ordered one so see how we get on.

Here is a model 3 in UK and set up with the PR433-4. Looks like as long as there’s a wired open/close option on your controller then you can wire this in...

• Helpful
Reactions: m3p_uk
Seeing that video makes me wonder if I'm using the wrong prgramming mode and that my garage opener may have a program function. I think I found some instructions once so may be able to check, but then worried that I may then stop the current remotes to stop.

Anyone programmed garage door openers in the past?

NB The manufacturer’s code for the transmitter must match the code for the receiver. If they do not match, you cannot add the transmitter to the system.

Attachments

• rollertech_install_guide-garagedoor.pdf
    683.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Seeing that video makes me wonder if I'm using the wrong prgramming mode and that my garage opener may have a program function. I think I found some instructions once so may be able to check, but then worried that I may then stop the current remotes to stop.

I know UR is “universal remote” mode. Not sure about the D mode. (Edit: “Dumb mode” apparently and used predominantly in the US. Where UR mode is mainly Europe) sure theres a joke there somewhere...

I tried all 3 on mine whilst trying to teach a new remote to the controller with no joy, hence going with the PR433-4

That's really similar to mine.
For mine you need to unscrew the front of the case and underneath there's a button on the left side to press to learn the remote code. Basically press the button on the garage controller, press the button on the fob and they are then paired.

Let us all know how you get on. I’ve never managed to get mine working. :mad:
Fitted the PR433-4 today and it works a treat. Wired between the COM and IMP on my ASNA roller door. Took a few attempts to teach/train the PR433-4, but got there in the end. I think this was just down to me being slightly out of range (during test fit) and being a little slow between the car and module. Once I moved the car and module it was fine.

I used the TEST function first to ensure the roller door would react to the module (and that I had wired it correctly), then programmed the car.

Worth £75? Time will tell. Suppose depends how long I keep a Homelink enabled car... We don't park in the garage, however use it as one of the main accesses to the house with food shopping or pushchair etc.

Reactions: Roy W.
Fitted the PR433-4 today and it works a treat. Wired between the COM and IMP on my ASNA roller door. Took a few attempts to teach/train the PR433-4, but got there in the end. I think this was just down to me being slightly out of range (during test fit) and being a little slow between the car and module. Once I moved the car and module it was fine.

I used the TEST function first to ensure the roller door would react to the module (and that I had wired it correctly), then programmed the car.

Worth £75? Time will tell. Suppose depends how long I keep a Homelink enabled car... We don't park in the garage, however use it as one of the main accesses to the house with food shopping or pushchair etc.

You can use the app to open the door so it saves you money on replacement remotes right? :D

You can use the app to open the door so it saves you money on replacement remotes right? :D
If you’re meaning Tesla app then yes. You can call Homelink via the API. Even a NFC tag to call a Siri Shortcut to open the garage door. Limited to if the car is within range of the door though...

I know Musk says a lot, but he’s hinted in the not so distant past that newer tech would be deployed for Garage openers etc. That could potentially mean integration with web enabled garage doors/protocols. Wonder if those with Homelink would have access to that or if it’ll be for the entire fleet. Could make sense to bolt it onto Premium Connectivity.

Reactions: Roy W.
I know Musk says a lot, but he’s hinted in the not so distant past that newer tech would be deployed for Garage openers etc. That could potentially mean integration with web enabled garage doors/protocols. Wonder if those with Homelink would have access to that or if it’ll be for the entire fleet. Could make sense to bolt it onto Premium Connectivity.
For reference;
FC699D49-324E-4E88-A935-13D3AEB55F47.jpeg

My homelink was installed this morning, took a total of 30 mins via mobile service but he didn't have the software update cable so has to come back next week to let the car know it has it now. Apparently they can no longer be done without the cable to update the car

• Helpful
My homelink was installed this morning, took a total of 30 mins via mobile service but he didn't have the software update cable so has to come back next week to let the car know it has it now. Apparently they can no longer be done without the cable to update the car
Make you think that someone could replicate this via 3rd party solution. Add Towing mode for example (Mobile Tech couldn’t confirm if this was possible if a 3rd party tow package was purchased for example)