Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honeymoon period (boost and acceleration in general)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im not talking about just this thread. Not surprising that the OP would lose the feeling of speed sensation if he "floors it at every chance he gets" as he says he does.

I agree. I think flooring it everywhere gives you a better sense of speed after awhile. You see for yourself that you just runaway from all the cars. I used to think SRTs were fast...until you blow the doors off them at a light. Same with vettes and Mustangs and the rest. Just stupid fast. I did get spanked by a P100D though :D

0-30 is where you feel it the most in a P, which is exactly where the AWD with boost is most restrained.
I have to say that 0-30 is where you feel that they intentionally keeping it slower even on P so it won't compete with p100d.

And if you drive Autobahn - you don't feel fast anymore when German wagons with whole family and a dog in the trunk politely asks you to let them go in the left lane.

Roadster is going to be great and I feel we might get it sooner than expected.

Reactions: Siciliano
I feel no 'restraint' when I punch it at the light. All I see is every car disappear in the rear view mirror while I get pressed into the seat. Most of time, I can't do it safely as the car is that quick. If you're already looking for more of a rush, then you need to head for sub 3 second cars. But even then, you might get tired of them. Although, sub 3 seconds is way too fast for the street as is. All roads come to one point: money. If you have enough of it, wait for the roadster. That might satisfy your appetite. Hopefully it comes with a roll-cage.

As stated already, the nature of the drivetrain and power delivery on the Model 3 make it seem like it's slower off the line than it actually is. There isn't that knee-jerk of the line acceleration like with an ICE.

Reactions: Siciliano
Loving the replies, and I have to say I agree with almost everyone. This car has just been a rollercoaster of emotions since I got it last Monday. I've been on a posting spree, and admittedly all over the place trying to convey all of these emotions...and while sure, it could always be faster, I have ultimately determined that I'm in love with the car. :)

I did what many of you suggested and this week I have tried to get into as many "regular" ICE cars as I can...even as a passenger. Just to go grab a coffee, or a bite to eat for lunch. I hadn't been in anything else since I picked up the Tesla last Monday, so this was definitely MUCH needed to bring me back down to earth.

My eyes have opened. Seriously, that's all I had to do to appreciate not only the raw power of the Tesla, but its big brains as well. In ~2 weeks I'd forgotten just how dumb (and slow) regular cars really are lol I guess you can call it "speed blind" ...to feel like you're crawling, even in a V6, is enlightening.

It's wild that the Tesla took me to this other world that I've never been to...a world of no gears, no exhaust notes, raw linear power and space age technology, yet somehow I too quickly grew accustomed to it. The best analogy I can think of is being on some sort of superdrug for a few weeks straight - you're extremely high, but after a week or so you kind of get used to it...it becomes your new normal. Then you come back down to reality! The Tesla is that drug, and I just needed to come back down to appreciate it.

As I've said before, perception is a very, very odd thing. Now I literally feel like the car is faster than it was even after I bought the boost (the second time). I might have to make this a ritual - at least once a week take a ride in an ICE car - it's the perfect way to sober up from too much of this Tesla drug. :D

Humans are very adaptable. The same "perception" thing happens all over our lives, but sometimes people dont notice it. When you get a new, bigger TV (for example) it will usually feel "big" for a week or at the most 2. After that, it just feels "normal"... but when you go to someone elses house and end up watching TV, you can catch yourself going (mentally) "man that TV is small....."

The other thing about getting in an ICE would be actually driving one. When I drive my wifes X3 that I mentioned earlier, I find that I end up driving it VERY slow. The reason for this is, my brain / body has "re wired" how much "pedal push" gives how much speed (how much I push the accelerator pedal to get how much speed). When I get into my wifes car (which, again, is actually "fast"), it requires a LOT more "pedal" to move how I want than my model 3P does. The effect of that is, I have to "remember" that I have to push the pedal harder, and I also have to "remember" the car wont slow down when I take my foot off the accelerator.

The first time I drive her car after a while, the first couple times I let off the accelerator I actually get this "WTF" mental moment because the car is coasting, instead of decelerating, when taking my foot off the accelerator.

Anyway, try to drive an ICE car every once in a while, if you can. It will keep you grounded on what you have (or like you mentioned, remind you of the differences).

0-30 is where you feel it the most in a P, which is exactly where the AWD with boost is most restrained.

Interesting, 0-10 in particular is virtually identical on P and AWD+ (0.48 and 0.5) but the 10-20 and 20-30 gaps are larger making the net difference about 0.25 seconds.

0-30 on a P is 1.47 seconds.
0-30 on a boosted AWD is 1.72 seconds.
0-30 on a regular AWD is 1.94 seconds

(all #s including both 5% free bumps)

30-60 in contrast is:

P- 1.74
AWD+ - 1.95
AWD- 2.14

Reactions: Clark_Kent
Loving the replies, and I have to say I agree with almost everyone. This car has just been a rollercoaster of emotions since I got it last Monday. I've been on a posting spree, and admittedly all over the place trying to convey all of these emotions...and while sure, it could always be faster, I have ultimately determined that I'm in love with the car. :)

I did what many of you suggested and this week I have tried to get into as many "regular" ICE cars as I can...even as a passenger. Just to go grab a coffee, or a bite to eat for lunch. I hadn't been in anything else since I picked up the Tesla last Monday, so this was definitely MUCH needed to bring me back down to earth.

My eyes have opened. Seriously, that's all I had to do to appreciate not only the raw power of the Tesla, but its big brains as well. In ~2 weeks I'd forgotten just how dumb (and slow) regular cars really are lol I guess you can call it "speed blind" ...to feel like you're crawling, even in a V6, is enlightening.

It's wild that the Tesla took me to this other world that I've never been to...a world of no gears, no exhaust notes, raw linear power and space age technology, yet somehow I too quickly grew accustomed to it. The best analogy I can think of is being on some sort of superdrug for a few weeks straight - you're extremely high, but after a week or so you kind of get used to it...it becomes your new normal. Then you come back down to reality! The Tesla is that drug, and I just needed to come back down to appreciate it.

As I've said before, perception is a very, very odd thing. Now I literally feel like the car is faster than it was even after I bought the boost (the second time). I might have to make this a ritual - at least once a week take a ride in an ICE car - it's the perfect way to sober up from too much of this Tesla drug. :D

@Siciliano,

Welcome to My Little Friend”!!!<<<THE Tesla P3D+!!! (I’m sure you’ll get the reference)!;)

Damn I love this post. Sums it up in a nutshell. So glad you came around and realized what we all have been enjoying. Listen....my MP3D+ will be 2 on Sept 25th. You know what I came from??? A 2007 Honda Civic!!! You think I’m not blown away by this car? It’s Magical. EVERY TIME I CLIMB INTO IT. Did I pay too much for it? Probably......however it was worth it. I can’t believe it. :D
Welcome aboard. You’ll never go back. Enjoy!!!

Ski

Last edited:
Humans are very adaptable. The same "perception" thing happens all over our lives, but sometimes people dont notice it. When you get a new, bigger TV (for example) it will usually feel "big" for a week or at the most 2. After that, it just feels "normal"... but when you go to someone elses house and end up watching TV, you can catch yourself going (mentally) "man that TV is small....."

Anyway, try to drive an ICE car every once in a while, if you can. It will keep you grounded on what you have (or like you mentioned, remind you of the differences).

I still have an ICEV as a spare vehicle. It's paid for, and is a family loaner. I take it out once in awhile to clear out the cobwebs and remind myself about such things as brake pedals, hold at stoplights, difference in deceleration, and how much I really love my Model 3s.

You really need to think about how to drive an ICEV once you are used to a Tesla. You can get into trouble if you don't. Durn near rolled through an intersection the other day.

Interesting, 0-10 in particular is virtually identical on P and AWD+ (0.48 and 0.5) but the 10-20 and 20-30 gaps are larger making the net difference about 0.25 seconds.

0-30 on a P is 1.47 seconds.
0-30 on a boosted AWD is 1.72 seconds.
0-30 on a regular AWD is 1.94 seconds

(all #s including both 5% free bumps)

30-60 in contrast is:

P- 1.74
AWD+ - 1.95
AWD- 2.14

Damn... I've never driven in a P, but I can't believe it's really only ~0.25s difference in those ranges. I'm still a little salty knowing that my motors (2018) are capable of P performance and are just software gimped.

This goes back to that 2018 LR AWD to P hack thread, but I simply will not risk the warranty for 0.5s. 1+ seconds.........maybe? lol :D

I guess it was “Say Hello to My Little Friend”!!! Now that I think of it!:)

Ski

Yes! One of my all-time fave movies and top 5 favorite actors (of course).

It's pretty crazy/funny that you've gone from a civic to a performance M3! I mean, my Jag wasn't that much faster than any other 4 banger, but being a turbo diesel it was definitely a lot more torquey by nature which made it feel a whole lot faster... but literally in an entirely different league than even the LR AWD.

Now, that said, I've known a few guys with REALLY worked civics that were even under 4s...11s quarter mile, etc...but they are just obnoxiously loud and overly expensive little things that seem like they're going to literally explode at any moment (and quite often one or more parts of the engine actually do) lol

I went the opposite way when I went from my ~4.0s Maserati to the Jag...pretty grounding, but I've been on a helluva roller coaster ride in the past 10-15 years with alternating fast & slow cars. Now I'm right back into the superfast <4s league (again), and this time I am NEVER going back. :)

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
The car comes with a magic button to renew the love - try driving in chill mode for a few days and then go back into standard.

Love is back again!

I actually have the boost so it's sport mode for me, which for some reason has been "stuck" that way since I re-purchased it. :D

But yes you're 100% right, Tesla really made it a huge difference between the two driving modes - it's another great way to reset the speed blindedness.

In almost every single ICE car I've owned, there wasn't that much difference between regular and sport mode. The only exception was my S7 in dynamic mode...it becomes a different animal.

>> which for some reason has been "stuck" that way since I re-purchased it.

Maybe you should schedule a service?
;)

When I called to schedule they told me there is no fix for speed addiction. :D

I'm glad I'm seeing the light though... it's like @john5520 says, it almost doesn't matter how fast it gets, I will just adapt and get used to it. Speed blindedness.

I guess (maybe?) the exception would be a P100D or the roadster, but I'm not willing to throw down $200k to find out. I'm sure even that white knuckle acceleration can be adapted to and internally normalized after a period of time.

For now, it's fast enough, and I'm very happy. :)

Reactions: Zythryn