Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you remove sliding armrests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The screws on the underside of my armrest came out, so I stopped by a service center to have them replaced. The tech told me to be ready for what he was about to do. He pulled back the armrest about half way so he could get his hand under it, then yanked it straight up. Pop! Off it came. He told me it's the way it's supposed to be done. I haven't tried it myself, but I did witness the procedure. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

Has anyone tried this with success? I need to remove the sliding armrests in order to take off the plastic protective film.
If the film is still whole, you don't need to. Just pull it in a way to peel off everything at once. Sliding the armrests forward makes it easier. If there's still a piece in between, I would rather use a small, thin screwdriver to peel it off rather than messing with removing the armrests personally.

How do you remove the sliding armrests to remove the plastic cover underneath it? I must be missing something because I can't get it.
***do not trust the craziness you see on YouTube on this ***

In reality this is a 5 minute procedure...although scary to watch a pro do it...( I did yesterday at tesla service).

Nothing to do but slide and yank hard. Picture below on 2015 dual slide. Then you attach new screws with licktight...align the tracks between what you removed and what is in my pic below and pound the top of the pad till it snaps to lower track. Given tesla knows of issue they did mine for free with no appointment (I called in advance to check the work load)
20180727_152801.jpg

Be careful with this procedure. As of 2017 model, things are probably different. I took out the center console and thus got the whole cup holder box off. From the bottom I can see srews that seem to hold the sliding armrests in place. It might still be possible to yank them off. But I would be careful...

My 2015 had a similar issue. A service call would have been $40 for a new set of arm rests + 160 for labor.
I tried lifting off as in the video, but couldn't do it.
A screw had worked its way loose and the pad was coming off the metal rail, making it hard to grip the whole thing.

I made a visit to the Tempe Service center and asked the guy at the computer if indeed, it was just a matter of pulling up.
He talked to a service tech and the guy confirmed, yes.
I told him I tried and couldn't do it, and he offered to give it a try.
After coming out to the car and tugging on it like me, he also couldn't do it.
I asked him if perhaps a tech could come out and give a demo of how it was done.
The service rep went back in and came back out 5 mins later.
The tech let the service rep practice on one of the cars in the shop (perhaps a loaner?)
So the service rep gave it another shot and lo and behold, he got it off.
Now I'm going to go back and ask them if they could give me a replacement screw or two.
If I have trouble putting it back on, I'll ask the service rep if he feels comfortable giving it another try.
That is my May 11th, 2021 saga to share.