Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

How far must you drive to recover the extra cost of a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a calculation, and compared to my current Acura MDX, the M3 will completely pay itself back in about 270,000km, or about 9 years of driving. I save roughly $6000 a year just on gas with the M3. It was an absolute no brainer for me.

Reactions: enwhy
Except that it doesn’t. Go configure an A4 or 330i/340i to match the current Model 3 build equipment. Even without incentives they’re basically identical.

You sound like an unhappy Audi dealer. If you've driven both, and still prefer the Audi, then buy the Audi. It's a matter of preference and choice. You can't compare perceived value. The Model 3 is worth more.

• Disagree
Reactions: gene and mtndrew1
You sound like an unhappy Audi dealer. If you've driven both, and still prefer the Audi, then buy the Audi. It's a matter of preference and choice. You can't compare perceived value. The Model 3 is worth more.

Huh? I drive a Model 3, not an Audi.

The point I was making was that a comparable car in the class isn’t 30% less than the Tesla, it’s roughly the same price. There is no extra cost to overcome.

Reactions: EinSV and Canuck
For me, if there were no EVs, I would have probably bought an Audi A3, 2 years ago. Then I test drove an I3 and in 2 minutes I realised EVs are 10 times better than gasoline cars. Tesla was just hinting at the Model 3, decided to wait, mainly because we need a long range EV.
Over a 10 years period we'll probably save 30k dollars (Canadian) from gas, and some thousands from maintenance (on paper), all while driving a more exciting car. It's a win win :)

Elon Musk in investor conference call saying Model 3 is now leader market share among entry level luxury sedan. So if we start this exercise, we need use those cars price as comparison. Otherwise we are not doing Apple to Apple comparisons.

Tesla Model 3 claims best-selling mid-sized premium sedan spot, gives production update

tesla-model-3-market-share.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
See above comments. This is an exercise to aid people looking for an electric car, aware that they generally cost more than an equivalent ICE car, mostly because of the battery cost per kWh. Trying to find a specific model to compare for nearly any car is difficult, contentious, and not the point here. The spreadsheet is based on data from Québec's Institute for Vehicle Innovation, which tries to look at the question from a larger perspective than just one car.

My point is 30% price less ICE car equivalent does not exist in the market .

Reactions: EinSV
Is the model 3 an entry level luxury sedan? In some way it is better, in some ways it is not as nice as a Camry or Accord. There is no apple to apple comparison available, but rather just opinion.
It is a closer match to an A4 than a loaded Camry hybrid. The simplicity of the interior is a great advance, but not all see simplicity as luxury. I have owned several Audis and really like them. My Model 3 is great step beyond the current A4. That being said, the A4 interior is great. The Model 3 is a new paradigm.

It is a closer match to an A4 than a loaded Camry hybrid. The simplicity of the interior is a great advance, but not all see simplicity as luxury. I have owned several Audis and really like them. My Model 3 is great step beyond the current A4. That being said, the A4 interior is great. The Model 3 is a new paradigm.

Then, if similar config, is A4 30% cheaper than Model 3?

Approximately 750,000 km

I'll correct myself here. Assuming, per OP, that 30% of the purchase price is all we're talking about recovering...

( 83k - 14k ) * 0.3 = 20,700. We currently save about 2500 per year driving our Smart EV vs our old Mazda 3 based on 22,500 km. Assuming the efficiency is approximately the same (the Smart is better), that's about 8.25 years or about 185,000 km.

That wasn't the calculation we made when we got the car, because our existing EV had already eliminated 99.9% of our gasoline usage, and about 35% of GHG emissions.

Then, if similar config, is A4 30% cheaper than Model 3?
Not even close. Audi prestige with 2.0 is over 50. Tesla compares more favorably performance wise with the S4 which is much more expensive than the Tesla. If you don’t consider performance, the price is about the same. They are at most 5% apart. By the way I priced an Audi A3 Etron last year. It was 47 and lacked several Tesla features. Car comparisons will never be exact. They involve many subjective elements.

Reactions: EinSV
I've worked out a way to determine approximately how far (in km) you have to drive a Model 3 to recover its extra initial cost over a comparable gasoline vehicle, assuming the M3 costs 30% more. The spreadsheet makes a few simple assumptions about fuel efficiency and repair costs. Numbers used are valid for Ontario, although it's no problem to plug in those from other provinces.

So how many km do you think you have to drive to recover the cost difference? Assume the M3 has no options other than those required currently (LR, RWD, premium upgrade).

Special commendation to anyone who comes close.
Ah but it doesn't have to recover the cost difference!
Whatever it doesn't recover is just the price of driving such an awesome car!

Reactions: PJFW8
Just joined the club :)

My calculation shows:

Every year/38,500 Km, Model 3 saves me $3871.5 energy cost.
(My thoughts includes combined charging costs, a 9l/100KM gas car and everyday battery lose)

To recover the entire cost of my model 3, I need to drive it about 15 years or 573,000KM... thanks autopilot.
("Purchasing price - rebate - selling price" = 15 years of energy saving)

Well, I know in reality, it doesn't work this way.

You should also consider the cost of tune ups, brakes, oil changes and the environmental cost of cleaning up after burning thousands of gallons of gasoline.

Also consider how much the competing vehicle would charge to install autopilot, one pedal driving, regenerative braking, non vibrating motors as smooth as a Tesla. Also to install a heater that warms up instantly and the costs to install a filling station in your garage :)

• Funny
Reactions: oakvillemike
In the spirit of BMW though, you could probably lease that 340i I built for $379 a month. I leased the i3 I had for $117 a month and it had a sticker price of over $50k
The financing incentives adds an additional layer to the cost. Our 2014 i3 cost $65/month after tax incentives and 2 year lease deal on a $52k MSRP. This will be hard for Tesla to overcome since their money factor on leases is equivalent to 5% APR and they don't discount unless you are getting an inventory car.

The financing incentives adds an additional layer to the cost. Our 2014 i3 cost $65/month after tax incentives and 2 year lease deal on a $52k MSRP. This will be hard for Tesla to overcome since their money factor on leases is equivalent to 5% APR and they don't discount unless you are getting an inventory car.
Anyone with eyeballs will find the biggest reason to go with the Tesla over the i3.