Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast can a Supercharger charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Richmond, Vic S/C with 121 km on battery - charging at 436 km/hr using 235 Amps
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160209_103856[1].jpg
    20160209_103856[1].jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 228
The implied question is "How long will I have to wait". If you are on an all-Supercharger route the answer is typically 15 minutes or less in good weather. This is because you're only charging enough to get to the next SC plus a bit extra (more extra in bad weather). On a partial SC route it can be up to an hour.

The implied question is "How long will I have to wait". If you are on an all-Supercharger route the answer is typically 15 minutes or less in good weather. This is because you're only charging enough to get to the next SC plus a bit extra (more extra in bad weather). On a partial SC route it can be up to an hour.

That is partially true. The full question would be: "how much minimum charge should I safely run the battery down to to get the maximum charging power (and shortest wait time) when re-charging, especially on an extended journey"
A major unknown variable prior to starting the journey would be whether another EV is using a bowser that is drawing amperage from the same source as yours.

That is partially true. The full question would be: "how much minimum charge should I safely run the battery down to to get the maximum charging power (and shortest wait time) when re-charging, especially on an extended journey"
A major unknown variable prior to starting the journey would be whether another EV is using a bowser that is drawing amperage from the same source as yours.
I haven't worried much about that. I just charge until the trip graph bar is all green. On the last long trip 5,000+ miles) almost all charging stops were 15 minutes or less.

I haven't worried much about that. I just charge until the trip graph bar is all green. On the last long trip 5,000+ miles) almost all charging stops were 15 minutes or less.

The SC's in the US must be more powerful than ours here in Oz if you can fully charge in 15 mins or less. It would be of interest if you could post a screen shot from your app next time you begin a charge.

The SC's in the US must be more powerful than ours here in Oz if you can fully charge in 15 mins or less. It would be of interest if you could post a screen shot from your app next time you begin a charge.

He didnt say Fully Charge - just charge enough to get to the next SuperCharger. With the SuperCharging spacing in the US, 15 mins is about right - if you're willing to drive close to empty.

Here is a suggestion for your Supercharging episodes:

On the settings screen, you can change the units from distance to energy. Your battery slider will now report your share of charge as a percentage instead of rated kilometres. A benefit of this is that when you view the charging screen, the units displayed change from km/hour to kWh.

I believe this is better to understand fully the speed of Supercharging. The distance display is really an average for the charging session; in my opinion it is a meaningless number. However, when you plug in with the kWh displayed, you can see the charging speed ramp up to its maximum and then begin to taper downwards as the battery fills.

I have found that my initial speed is around 113-118 kWh when my battery is at ~30% or less (assuming I am not on a shared stall.) There are other threads dedicated to describing the taper as our batteries fill.

Hope this alternate display on your touchscreen helps with the speed of charging. (You could also multiply the volts by the amperes, but why bother when a quick setting change can do it for you?)

Here is a suggestion for your Supercharging episodes:

On the settings screen, you can change the units from distance to energy. Your battery slider will now report your share of charge as a percentage instead of rated kilometres. A benefit of this is that when you view the charging screen, the units displayed change from km/hour to kWh.

I believe this is better to understand fully the speed of Supercharging. The distance display is really an average for the charging session; in my opinion it is a meaningless number. However, when you plug in with the kWh displayed, you can see the charging speed ramp up to its maximum and then begin to taper downwards as the battery fills.

I have found that my initial speed is around 113-118 kWh when my battery is at ~30% or less (assuming I am not on a shared stall.) There are other threads dedicated to describing the taper as our batteries fill.

Hope this alternate display on your touchscreen helps with the speed of charging. (You could also multiply the volts by the amperes, but why bother when a quick setting change can do it for you?)
That should be kW, not kWh. Wh is a measurement of energy where W is a measurement of power.

I don't like to be the guy that corrects people but it's a common mistake made in EV circles. :)

I agree that seeing the power the battery is being charged at to be much more useful information.

For the record my car has twin chargers, but I know that makes no difference with Supercharging.
I was on my way to Canberra for work and my company is too cheap to put me up at the Realm so I wanted a full charge if I couldn't charge whilst there.
They booked me into Abode Hotel in Phillip as they advertised an EV charger but it turned out to be a J1772 that I couldn't use so it paid off.