Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast did Model S ruin you for ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only has it ruined driving ICE cars for me, it has evaporated any interest in new ICE cars for me. Whatever BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc are doing that is NOT electric has no interest at all. It seems old already. When a beautiful new ICE car is announced at some trade show, I can't help but think that it's a pity that it's not an EV. It's like Apple announcing a beautiful new device that uses a command prompt.

I agree. And the sad part, is that someone will actually want that ICE car, save for that ICE car, and then buy that ICE car. In my opinion, it's so sad, it's not even funny.

If you're talking regular family sedans or SUVs, yeah, there's nothing special there in ICEs.. but specialty cars, like performance sports sedans and small convertibles, I think they still have a place for enjoyment right next to the Model S. Surely, if I had more garage space, I'd own one more two other ICEs.

But that's just me.

Not just you, I wholeheartedly agree.

Sounds like alot of people who are so enamored with the Tesla are coming from family cars and SUVs, which yeah, no reason to go back.

My interest in ICE cars evaporated about 10 seconds into the test drive, just after the silent takeoff:smile:
I'm about to sell the ICE car that the Tesla replaced (gone tomorrow hopefully) but still have a smart Roadster for fun. Its almost the opposite of the Tesla in almost every respect and remains fun to drive, I just almost never drive it.
I used to look at high end petrol cars now Lambos and Porsches don't even rate a second look from me.

Not only has it ruined driving ICE cars for me, it has evaporated any interest in new ICE cars for me. Whatever BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc are doing that is NOT electric has no interest at all. It seems old already. When a beautiful new ICE car is announced at some trade show, I can't help but think that it's a pity that it's not an EV. It's like Apple announcing a beautiful new device that uses a command prompt.

This is exactly how I feel too. I spent 20 years admiring the brands that you mention, especially BMW. Model S turned the whole world upside down for me.

I'd like a "standard" electric motorcycle with 150 miles of real-world interstate-speed range when it has sideboxes and a topbox installed, decent wind protection and DC charging. Chademo or CCS or Supercharger, don't care. Cars just lean the wrong way in corners.

THEN I'll be done with ICE's.

(Actually, a street-legal trailbike with a similar range would be nice too, something equivalent to a Husaberg 450 or so...)

The closest experience I can relate that is analogous to driving the Tesla happened to me when I was about 15 years old.

In 1984, like every other kid growing up then, I listened to 80s music. The Sony Walkman had made it's debut, and everyone had one, and every 80s band had their cassette tapes flying off the shelves of every music store.

Then I walked into a music store one day and they had a brand new device -- a Toshiba portable compact disc player. The salesman put some very nice headphones on me and put in the first song I ever heard from CD -- Dire Straits "Money for Nothing".

The improvement over cassette playback was so ridiculous, I couldn't believe it. All of the background hiss was gone. The impact of the percussion was palpable, even through headphones. Individual snare drum hits were delivered with clarity I had never heard before. Entire swaths of the frequency spectrum, especially in the bright mids to highs, were dancing around my head. No tape playback ever came close.

I bought it about a week later, along with 5 or 6 brand-new CDs.

I never bought a cassette player or a single cassette ever again.

Great story. I remember those days. I used to buy records, immediately record them to tape, and put the record away. Records had pops and skips, so I used them as masters. Tapes, however, had hiss, wobble and wear. Once CDs came out... Bam!

Game changer!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a Tesla yet, but it certainly has ruined ICE for me. It is the future today.

New car releases, which I used to get excited about, mean nothing to me now. The BMW and Audi promos I get in the mail and email mean nothing to me. I just don't care about them anymore.

My next car has to be a Model S. I really have no choice in the matter.

Now come on Elon, deliver a 360 degree camera and we can make this happen today.

Five minutes it took before I was ruined for ICE vehicles.

And I'm being generous with that five minute estimate.

You guys aren't going to believe this, but I suffer more range anxiety in my ICE vehicles than I do my Tesla, because I tend to run them down to as far as I can before stopping for gas because I hate pulling into gas stations.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, exactly the same. I really don't care anymore about ICE cars.
Exactly

I couldn't care less about most any ICE vehicle I could name right now.

I'm more into my other hobbies now than cars.

I totally get this. I now trust my car and its range. With my SUV, it would say I had 119 miles left but then in about 5 miles all of a sudden it would drop to "Do you want me to search for a gas station?" and make me insecure. And then there was the looking for a gas station and inevitably it would be the $4 a gallon one that would be the only one nearby and to assuage my anxiety I had to stop and put some in. And it might be a bad area of town. Now, all that is gone with superchargers and my own clean, tidy garage to charge in every night. I suppose some of this has to do with being a woman and safety issues, as I never let my tank get below about 1/4, but even then would feel anxiety when that 1/4 became "get to the gas station now!" At least I always have AAA.

I was ruined immediately upon returning the demo I had for a weekend. No regen braking when I pulled out in my old car., Yikes! this thing doesn't stop!
Tomorrow I pick up my 90D!!! Since the delivering SC is 100 miles away, TM rented me a Cadillac CTS for my trip over. Man does that thing suck!

I was impressed by the test drive (enough to start doing math right away to plan to pay for it) but not yet to the point I would complain about my (very slow) Prius at that time. Few weeks into ownership - driving only my brand new S85 - I had to rent a car after a plane trip. I litterally took it back cause I was sure something was broken (it appeared that the only thing wrong with it was its ICE nature). And now doing some more math to try to replace the Honda minivan with an X. There is no ICE car out there that I'd be tempted with. There is no turning back.

I totally get this. I now trust my car and its range. With my SUV, it would say I had 119 miles left but then in about 5 miles all of a sudden it would drop to "Do you want me to search for a gas station?" and make me insecure. And then there was the looking for a gas station and inevitably it would be the $4 a gallon one that would be the only one nearby and to assuage my anxiety I had to stop and put some in. And it might be a bad area of town. Now, all that is gone with superchargers and my own clean, tidy garage to charge in every night. I suppose some of this has to do with being a woman and safety issues, as I never let my tank get below about 1/4, but even then would feel anxiety when that 1/4 became "get to the gas station now!" At least I always have AAA.

Yes.

No more getting the hand sanitizer out after handling a nasty gas nozzle. No more timing fill-ups so they don't happen at night or in an unfamiliar location. No more having to lock my door so my purse doesn't get snatched while pumping gas.

I lost my desire for ICE 10 months before getting my Model S.

Lost it before I bought the model S. Prius--> Prius+Prius PiP --> Model S + Prius PiP.
Still need the gas pickup truck non and then.
Still need the Prius PiP for places that I don't want to take the Model S, like miles and miles of gravel roads to get to hiking spots, etc.

As a new father, the inherent safety increase was a huge seller, infact, as an engineer, these Peter Rawlinson videos sold me: Tesla Vehicle Engineering - Part 1 on Vimeo

but the overall sheer pleasure of driving instantaneous full torque is so addictive I doubt I'd ever buy anything else since it is coupled with a much better owning experience and environmental impact story.

And I can't wait for the 3, next Roadster and further platforms and variants to crush all that remains of the needs for ICE.

For the last 20 months since I got my S I had only driven my Porsche Cayman S a few hundred miles. Tried to drive it once a month even though I have no interest to. Just can not get used to the step on the pedal and wait for something to happen feeling anymore.

I'll be real curious to see what happens to me. My 85D is in transit (yeah!!). I'm driving '02 BMW M5 at the moment, I love the car except that is near useless in the snow. I love the 6 speed manual transmission, the low rumble at idle, and the roar when I drop from 6th to 4th to pass someone on the highway. Originally I planned to trade in the M5 but it was worth far more to me than to Tesla so I'm keeping her. I'm expecting that overall I will prefer the 85D, likely substantially so, but I expect there will be days that I'll want to drive with three pedals.

I'll be real curious to see what happens to me. My 85D is in transit (yeah!!). I'm driving '02 BMW M5 at the moment, I love the car except that is near useless in the snow. I love the 6 speed manual transmission, the low rumble at idle, and the roar when I drop from 6th to 4th to pass someone on the highway. Originally I planned to trade in the M5 but it was worth far more to me than to Tesla so I'm keeping her. I'm expecting that overall I will prefer the 85D, likely substantially so, but I expect there will be days that I'll want to drive with three pedals.
I suspect those days will be few and far between. Something like 95% of those that keep their ICE because they think they will want to use it sometimes end up selling it within a few months.