Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the line formed at full superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have reservations about being able to reserve a SC spot. There are too many variables at play concerning people actually fulfilling their reservations. And people are notoriously lazy or thoughtless when it comes to the notification that they wish to cancel, postpone or accelerate their reservation. Meanwhile, some other person has to wait because someone else is 30 minutes late or a no-show.

Reservations might work with ChargePoint for locals who charge a few times per week. Their schedules are predictable, and their driving times from home or work to the charger are well-known. Determining my reservation time from SC X to SC Y that is a 145-mile leg is problematic, and I think it would lead to people making lots of reservations today for tomorrow's trip, only to cancel or change once they are en route. Moreover, how long should the reservation allow someone to charge? What if the reservation is for noon, and he leaves after 35 minutes, and the next reservation is for 1:00? Does that stall sit idle for 25 minutes, or does a drop-in get limited to 25 minutes until the 1:00 reservation arrives?

Reactions: jboy210
But this particular arrangement in this particular parking lot does not lend itself well to forming a queue. There are also many employees coming and going in this parking lot too. There is a lot of non-Tesla traffic. There are two entrances to this parking area.

I think everyone should pile onto this request. Maybe it will get some notice from Tesla vs another note from @aesculus ;)

+1. Similar situation at JFK supercharger: I was picking up people whose flight was delayed. During the delay, I went to the 6-stall supercharger that was effectively 5 stalls (all taken) due to snow (which was 100% fine). The supercharger location is in a secondary parking lot of a service station (food, gas, travel knick knacks) with TLC, uber, and like drivers.

I thought I "started" a queue by parking (illegally) by the entrance of the secondary parking lot. A vehicle who entered the main parking lot after me disregarded my queue and took a stall that had just emptied before I could. I chalked it up to "maybe this person circled back in, or maybe something" but it's still a bad taste that could be solved by Tesla.

I thought I "started" a queue by parking (illegally) by the entrance of the secondary parking lot. A vehicle who entered the main parking lot after me disregarded my queue and took a stall that had just emptied before I could. I chalked it up to "maybe this person circled back in, or maybe something" but it's still a bad taste that could be solved by Tesla.

Was your position "obvious" that you are in a line for charging?

Was your position "obvious" that you are in a line for charging?

I thought so, but a picture may help inform:
JFKSC.jpg

The satellite imagery is not updated. The bright pink line is a current fence (so there is no access from the 3 other lines for parking). The red box is the location of the 6 chargers. The red arrow to the blue car is basically where I was, driverside facing the other way. There was also day-old city snow mucking up everything that is not reflected in this image.

I haven't internalized tesla queuing norms just yet (still <1 mo driving and first time using a full SC), but I thought it was pretty obvious at the time; however, if you/someone else has another opinion, I would be grateful to know for the future.

f?Re

I've only used the San Diego SuperCharger and only twice have I found just a single car waiting, so it was relatively easy to make sure the other car got the first empty space and I just waited for another charger to become available. Most the time at this SuperCharger there is always one space open.

Or just stand (park) in front of the other cars that were charging. You could move when one of them needed to leave, and pull back into the vacated stall.
This sounds tacky but I am afraid it's the only real solution. Too many people just don't watch what's going on or don't care so you have to be pretty blatant about it these days.:(

Reactions: ABC2D
This sounds tacky but I am afraid it's the only real solution. Too many people just don't watch what's going on or don't care so you have to be pretty blatant about it these days.:(

Well, the indication was that the area was cut off and there was no through traffic. Nobody but Teslas had any need to go in there to the back of the area, so you shouldn't have to keep moving out of the way -- just the one time when a Tesla left!

OK, in that case I would probably stay where I was; more hassle backing out every time an ICE vehicle had to get out (lane was 1 car wide) than missing a spot . And yes certainly "tacky".

However, if the assertion is that the correct "first-in-line" space is the one adjacent to the two Tesla utility boxes -- that spot happened to be occupied by an ICE car at the time. Oh well, so these things go.

Thinking about how lines typically form at gas stations, it is clear that that model doesn't, and shouldn't, apply to EV charging (as long as charge times are >5 minutes). Indeed it should be first come, first serve (to the location). I'm not saying it has happened, or will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear of cases where second to arrive says "You wait for the next one to open up over there, and I'll wait for the next one over here" (effectively splitting the line). The problem is that many charging stations don't have much free space for a single file line of cars to accumulate. Thus, the idea of assigning positioning in line, and thereby allowing cars to park out of the way until their turn comes up, may be necessary to keep the peace, especially once the Model 3 is out. Line position displayed on the main screen would be great. In the meantime, we should all just agree to exercise our most polite selves when approaching a supercharger.

• Love
Reactions: Robert831
In 2012-2013, one or more people would hop out of their cars and start conversations with others that were waiting. Civility was present, order was maintained. Atmosphere was generally polite and patient.

Since then I haven't seen as many lines, but when I do there tended to be a natural location for the line to form and people would line up. I've seen this at Hawthorne, Gilroy, Barstow, San Juan Cap., and (recently) Burbank.

View attachment 210356
Mountain View, CA
January 1, 2017
4:43pm PT

Dang that is crazy!