Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone still having an issue? I had given my old Model S to my daughter this summer and upgraded the MCU for her. I happened to drive it last night and the rear camera is extremely dark and almost unusable unless you ride the brake. This was never like this before. I actually thought a light was out unitl I started researching on here. It is a 2013 Model S P85 on software version 2021.40.6

Is anyone still having an issue? I had given my old Model S to my daughter this summer and upgraded the MCU for her. I happened to drive it last night and the rear camera is extremely dark and almost unusable unless you ride the brake. This was never like this before. I actually thought a light was out unitl I started researching on here. It is a 2013 Model S P85 on software version 2021.40.6
It was improved by an update earlier this year, but you are right: it’s still way darker than with the MCU1.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I'm definitely still having this issue. I too thought (and reported) it was fixed by an earlier fw update, but in reality the issue came back (at least for me). Rebooting the MCU seems to temporarily fix it...

I am surprised that people seem to think this is 'fixed'. I convinced myself that my MCU2 original fitment MS rear camera did improve at some point, but the crunched black level and poor response to any intense light source still persists imo.

May be it went quiet over the summer months?

Compared with the other camera views the rear image is way worse in low light for me.

Reactions: Dannietjoh
I am surprised that people seem to think this is 'fixed'. I convinced myself that my MCU2 original fitment MS rear camera did improve at some point, but the crunched black level and poor response to any intense light source still persists imo.

May be it went quiet over the summer months?

Compared with the other camera views the rear image is way worse in low light for me.
I wonder if the variance in experience is related to having different AP (or no AP).
Mine is an AP1 and the rear camera is way worst than what it was before I upgraded to MCU2.
Happy that it was fixed for some, but this resurrecting discussion shows there are also cars where the issue is not really fixed.

Nothing made it worse or better until Tesla finally provided two back-to-back firmware updates that made a big difference.
They even used the FPGA in the MCU to deploy the color adjustment. They have a flag for it in the vehicle's Gateway:

DCIM Image 2021-10-30.jpeg

They even used the FPGA in the MCU to deploy the color adjustment. They have a flag for it in the vehicle's Gateway:
You mention color adjustment.

If my understanding is correct, MCU 2 has different data path for rear camera image than for other views. It is definitely the case that the blacks on the rear view MCU2 seem much more intense than the grey produced on MCU1 and all other cam streams.

Most posts I have read seem to lean towards a contrast / black level / compression / threshold issue.

In good light, the rear view seems more intense and maybe sharper than other feeds, but low light still squashes all / most shadows to black. Do you think that the FPGA flag still could relate to this same problem and an attempt at fixing it?

MCU 2 has different data path for rear camera image than for other views.

Yes, this is why vehicles with the MCU1 and AP2.5/FSD computer combo, are not able to record the backup camera feed to a USB drive during Sentry and/or Dashcam videos.

Do you think that the FPGA flag still could relate to this same problem and an attempt at fixing it?

I don't have an exact date on when Tesla deployed the FPGA flag, but my guess is that it happened right around the deployment of 2021.4.3, especially due to the fact that as @Akikiki mentioned, and as others (myself included) were able to witness first hand, there was a notable improvement after that particular firmware release. I wouldn't go as far as to say the issue is completely fixed, but there was certainly an improvement.