Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How likely is an upcoming price change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is showing 100+ Model 3’s in stock in Southern California now. Yesterday the number was 23. I’m not sure where these came from since we’ve been led to believe that current production is for international deliveries but that’s the most inventory I’ve seen here in a while. If it doesn’t move fairly quickly we just may see some incentives around the corner.

Tesla is showing 100+ Model 3’s in stock in Southern California now. Yesterday the number was 23. I’m not sure where these came from since we’ve been led to believe that current production is for international deliveries but that’s the most inventory I’ve seen here in a while. If it doesn’t move fairly quickly we just may see some incentives around the corner.

I’m trying to decide if I should move on one now, they have every color and configuration available. I am assuming is you order an SR they will just take one of those SR+ and downgraded through software

Could you post a link where dealers change MSRP more than once in a quarter? Thanks.

That is pretty funny. Dealers have no power to set or change MSRP. The Manufactures’ Suggested Retail Price is set by the manufacturer!

Dealers change the actual retail price, not the suggested price. They change it minute-to-minute for each customer that walks in their door.

GSP

So my car all in was 80k before rebates / tax credits, and 70k with those. Someone buying before the end of june saved money over me, even with the lower tax credit. It just works like that sometimes, and I dont understand why people expect to always have paid LESS than someone else for their car.

Good point. Another example, the next gen Corvette is about to be debuted in a couple weeks. You can buy a C7 Corvette right now for 15-20% off MSRP and existing Corvette owners will get a $3000 loyalty incentive on top of that. When the new C8 Corvette goes on sale dealers will mark them up $15-20k over MSRP with no concept of tax credits, in fact it may come with a gas guzzler tax. :)

6-8 months ago the Model 3 cost more than today but those buyers have also been enjoying the car for 6-8 months longer than folks buying now. In 6-12 months once the hype wanes folks will be able to buy that new C8 Corvette for MSRP and then another year later there will be incentives to move them. To your point, price is based on supply and demand, some pay more and some pay less depending on when you buy.

Tesla changes their prices all the damn time. However, don't expect a price drop -- the current trend is to increase the price and remove features.

They got more orders in Q2 than the number of cars they managed to deliver. Their order backlog is *increasing*. They have absolutely no reason to cut the price, and every reason to raise the price.

Not to mention, the more Model 3 vehicles Tesla sell, the more they’re going to sell since word of mouth and “hey check out my Model 3” are the most powerful things here.

Companies like Truecar have built a whole business around this price fluctuation phenomenon. Their whole goal is to help buyers identify the price folks are actually paying for vehicles. The Tesla sales model is going to put them out of business. ;)
Truecar started like that. Now they have lots of dealer partners that pay truecar. The service justifies a price to the buyers. Sure, it’s below MSRP. But it’s a price dealers are very happy to sell at. And buyers look at it and think they are saving over msrp and getting a good deal.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Truecar started like that. Now they have lots of dealer partners that pay truecar. The service justifies a price to the buyers. Sure, it’s below MSRP. But it’s a price dealers are very happy to sell at. And buyers look at it and think they are saving over msrp and getting a good deal.

I tried the service one time while I was shopping for a car and man did I regret putting my contact info in there. :( It does help folks that do not purchase cars often and don't like to negotiate so I think it is a good tool for that. It just puts you in the pricing ballpark so you don't grossly overpay.

I am ready to order my SR but not sure if I should hold off a couple of days. Anyone with any insight?

I don’t see the base SR going down in price. I do think Elon will come up with a better referral incentive than 1,000 miles though. And there might be some incentives on the higher priced models, or at least free paint wheel upgrades if they don’t have the one you want in stock.

The web site shows 30 SR+ models in stock for Southern California so they have a decent amount of inventory.

I don’t see the base SR going down in price. I do think Elon will come up with a better referral incentive than 1,000 miles though. And there might be some incentives on the higher priced models, or at least free paint wheel upgrades if they don’t have the one you want in stock.

The web site shows 30 SR+ models in stock for Southern California so they have a decent amount of inventory.

Yes this what I am thinking. Its possible they could add more features or even take away features from the SR vs SR+. 5k miles in Supercharging would be great

And here we are about 2 weeks later.... Voila! Price drop. And Pearl White paint for free

giphy.gif

Reactions: russelljohnson
Oh what the heck, if my car had been delivered 4 days later I would’ve paid 5K less.

So I guess I took delivery at the worst possible window. After the federal rebates dropped to 1875 and a few days before the pricing dropped another 5K.

Anyway, still love my car. Good timing for the rest of you that are still waiting for delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUDoc
I am not surprised that there was a price drop but I am surprised by the amount. With demand where it is I thought they could drop it by $500 or so. We know there is a lot more margin in the Performance model but a $5k drop is pretty healthy. It must not be selling as well as they want. I think they could have done a $3k drop and still captured buyers on the fence. What else competes with it for under $60k?

If anything needed a price drop it was the FSD. $6k for NoA and the Summon/AutoPark tricks?

Oh what the heck, if my car had been delivered 4 days later I would’ve paid 5K less.

So I guess I took delivery at the worst possible window. After the federal rebates dropped to 1875 and a few days before the pricing dropped another 5K.

Anyway, still love my car. Good timing for the rest of you that are still waiting for delivery.

If you are still within your return window, you might consider doing that and re ordering if its actually a 5k saving.