Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how low will you go!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never found it necessary to go too low. Once maybe 9% but it’s only on rare long motorway trips that I go under 20%. Most of my time is spent between 30% and 90%… quite a lot between 40 and 80 on day to day. I’ll top up small amounts to stay within that range. I believe it’s better for the battery and it’s certainly better for my anxiety levels.

I pretty regularly do a 700 mile trip from France to South Spain using the Supercharger network. The network routing is quite cautious but that adds about 90 minutes to the journey so I use a quicker route which leaves me with about 6% on one of the stops. However, its not really a worry because I can always use the fast growing Ionica or Iberdrola networks if necessary. Should anyone now be considering road trips to Spain, both those networks have fast chargers for about the same price as Tesla. The Spanish group, Iberdrola, have a current promotion where when you sign up, you can possibly get two months free charging in Spain. My last two trips only cost 28euros because of that.

In 6 or so years I’ve hit 0 once but not by design, otherwise never lower than about 20 miles and usually at 50 left I’ll be looking to charge.

I’ve read different thoughts on there being a reserve capacity below zero, I’ve also heard the BMS can drift so 0 isn’t necessarily accurate and errs on the side of caution so the more out it is, the more the car will keep going below 0 and therefore somebody saying they drove x miles beyond zero might not a reliable buffer for others. I don’t really fancy finding out if either of those are true though.

Went from Aberdeen to Dundee the other day and planned a charging stop there. Immediately the battery started to precondition and predicted to arrive with 4%. With two passengers I felt that was cutting it a bit fine, but I let it go on for a while thinking that the system should recognise that one needs a bit of a buffer. At 2% predicted battery left and over 30 miles to go I got cold feet and disable the sat nav and thus the battery heater. Predicted battery immediately jumped to 13%. At the end I activated the battery heater closer to the charger and arrived with 7%.
Felt like I played a game of chicken with Tesla route planner - I lost. 🙁

Reactions: fantasmagorica
I drove about 5miles on 0% once, was a couple of months after getting the car, end of a long journey and extent of cold weather effect on efficiency (nearly) caught me out.
Drove the last 25 miles or so with no heating and at a very 'chilled' pace, but rolled onto the driveway and plugged straight into the podpoint. Never again!

That's like a campfire Horror story to an EV Owner 😁😁

All you had to do was chuck in an axe murderer and you'd be there...

thumbnail_IMG-20211011-WA0010.jpeg

This was not a good day.