Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many EAP owners would pay for the 3.0 FSD computer at what price?

How much would you pay now to upgrade to the new 3.0 computer?

• I'd pay cash $2k

Votes: 115 72.8%
  • I'd pay cash $3k

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • I'd pay cash $4k

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I'll pay the curent $6k price

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the future value of HW 3.0 and FSD (with ability to monetize the car into the Tesla Autonomous Taxi Network ) is worth upwards of $30,000. I also think that when the Tesla Network is online and demonstrably able to monetize private Tesla owners' cars that the cost of FSD will be much more than it is now. If I didn't have FSD now I would pay $15,000 for it for fear that if I didn't it would be even more to add it later. They have a plan. The plan suggests that the value of a M3 in the network will be 200K a year. Watch the full autonomy investor presentation.
It will be worth a lot of money as long as it works which nobody actually knows today.

• EAP/FSD are not transferable features from vehicle to vehicle. They are locked to the vehicle. If your Tesla is totaled and your insurance does not cover the EAP/FSD features you would be out $11K+ ($5K for EAP and possibility $6K for FSD currently)

I do wished Tesla would offer a subscription service for FSD that can be tied to an owner and not locked to vehicle specific.

Thoughts on this?

You could get AP/FSD "value" covered by comprehensive if you call your insurance company and either request to update the purchased options on the car, or insure it for "stated value".

Either way, I would expect the insurance cost to go up a bit.

I have a Model S AP2 with 16 months left on a 36 month lease. Would any amount of money be worth it? Is Tesla going to offset the cost in its residual value? I'd maybe pay an extra $50 a month but I wouldn't be willing to drop a large amount of cash.

You just answered your own question - you are willing to pay $800 for 16-months worth of Navigate on AP functionality (if that is even available on AP2 HW). Otherwise, you need to wait for HW3 upgrade packages, whenever those become available. If you are lucky, before the lease runs out.
o_O

I was planning on waiting until it was fully enabled and then willing to pay $10k. But when they dropped it to $2k for pre-2019 folks, I jumped on it.

How is that working out for you?

I don't want FSD I want AP + auto lane change
Don't need the rest (I commute "blind", I can park and don't have a garage).

+1.
I would pay something for NAP feature, mostly for kicks.
Maybe $250-500.

Incidentally, the rest is vaporware, or does not work well enough to see the light of day, anyway. The last thing I would want is red light stop, or pedestrian avoidance features that work 95% of the time... not good for the insurance rates.

a

Reactions: rexy
You could get AP/FSD "value" covered by comprehensive if you call your insurance company and either request to update the purchased options on the car, or insure it for "stated value".

Either way, I would expect the insurance cost to go up a bit.

Indeed. I purchased two model 3's: one with EAP and one without. (da wife don't need no stinkin' auto steer). When I called my insurance carrier, I told them that the price with PUP was $49, but EAP was $5000 more. Thus, that car is about $30/yr to insure.

Reactions: afadeev
In my recent, long (5K miles) driving vacation, I have seen a number of times when EAP was very slow to respond to lane change requests (suggested by EAP). It was so slow that I would have cut off approaching cars, a rude if not dangerous way to drive. I would expect the new chip to improve performance; thus I would be happy to pay for the hardware upgrade IF it were less expensive than FSD (now $6K for my 2018 MS). I have grave reservations about when FSD will become viable, but improved EAP would be welcome.

Reactions: rexy
I would only upgrade to FSD with the following constraints:

1. Not buying anything else until it's implemented, working, and available. Not paying for any future promises anymore.

2. If/when that happens, I'll pay only as much as the difference between what I paid for EAP ($5K) and the total new price for FSD (currently $6K). Thus, if it were available right now, was working, and was available, I'd pay $1K, not a penny more.

3. HW 3.0 computer has to be available and ready for immediate install. Not buying it if I have to wait, get on a list, etc. My P3D is 9 months old, still doesn't have a spoiler. A spoiler. A plastic piece that sticks on with tape. You can't get that to me in 9 months, and I'm supposed to trust that you'll have HW 3 AP computers for everyone? GTFO.
Ride on and agreed! GTFO Elon where the F is my spoiler?

In my recent, long (5K miles) driving vacation, I have seen a number of times when EAP was very slow to respond to lane change requests

FWIW, when I changed my NOA to "Mad Max" mode and the steering to Sport, it significantly changed the experience. The way NOA works went from Prius Sunday Driver style to something, maybe not entirely MelGibsonesque, but very acceptable -- better than my own manual lane changes for sure.

Judging by the last 2 updates, no doubt it will keep getting better. The 3.0 hardware being able to process more camera data faster should introduce a greater margin of safety that may not be obvious at first glance.

As an EAP owner (got car in December 2018) I want the new 3.0 hardware. I know it won't change what I have immediately, but it will. I want to help Tesla keep developing the technology. But at what price, after EAP already cost me $5k?

Zero + Nada + Nil

By the time FSD becomes available, my Model 3 will be 10+ years old so it is pointless to spend any money now. I may just get a better looking, more exciting 2030 Model 3 at that time.

$0 for just the computer. I would be very upset if EAP features perform better on HW3 though. We paid for features on EAP and should get the best experience possible regardless of hardware version. If more computing power is needed for advanced summon, autopilot, navigate on autopilot etc we should get hardware upgrades included. Right now EAP is underwhelming. Summon frequently stops midway, autopilot has phantom braking, autopark is all but useless.

• Disagree
Reactions: socal_suburbanit
Agreed! Owners who bought EAP includes summons. Recently summons was updated to advanced summons to early owners. The question is “if customers who paid EAP, will they have advance summons without HW3 when it’s relessed to everyone? If not, HW3 should be free to owners with EAP regardless if they bought FSD or not. Are you reading this Elon? I don’t think advance summons will be available to HW2.5 which really sucks.

This is the reason TESLA stocks is in a roller coaster because of Elon’s wish’s washy decision. FSD is BS for at least another 5+ years. Don’t pay another dime. Also the reason they cannot fix the NOAP is because the hardware 2.5 sucks. Admit it Elon, HW 2.5 sucks. People buying new production includes 3.0 hardware regardless. They will performs better when using adaptive cruise control.

I don't remember "advanced summon" being included in EAP features.

I can't help noting that to some it's always half empty, to others it's half full.
And then there's the idea that it's mostly empty and must overflow 4 free.

"EAP is underwhelming" compared to what? It's not my impression at all.

Summon is prioritized for safety. Your phone has to be very close and
if bluetooth/wifi disconnect, as they are prone to do, like with printers etc,
then doesn't it make sense for Summon to halt?

I use Autopark on bounded parallel and perpendicular spaces, per spec,
whenever I can't just zip into a space, and it works fine.

With updates, random slowdown has become very infrequent. Haven't
ever seen actual "braking". I use AP and NOA all the time, it's not perfect
but it's great. Anybody driving something better? HW 2.5 sucks? huh?

Are our experiences vastly different, or do we look at them differently?

Some people are projecting their unhappiness, there's no fixing that.

Last edited:
HW2.5 is very nervous when I’m use it on adaptive cruise control. My friend has HW3.5 and it performs flawlessly when using adaptive cruise control. Many more accident will occur with HW2.5. You can take that to the bank.

HW2.5 is very nervous when I’m use it on adaptive cruise control. My friend has HW3.5 and it performs flawlessly when using adaptive cruise control. Many more accident will occur with HW2.5. You can take that to the bank.

Well, that at least is a rational point. And ultimately an argument for getting
the 3.0 package. We're talking about price. I got the 2018 stuff, I'd pay $3k
to upgrade.

There will come a time in the future that there will be software updates even if it has nothing to do with FSD that HW2.5 will not able to process. Put out a petition to Elon or TESLA to upgrade owners with HW2.5 to HW3 at no charge regardless if they bought EAP or not. This also specially addressed to stock/share holders if you want your investment to succeed. Also petition TESLA to unlock the car after the warranty period is over so that owners can choose to other means of servicing or fixing their own cars.

You just answered your own question - you are willing to pay $800 for 16-months worth of Navigate on AP functionality (if that is even available on AP2 HW). Otherwise, you need to wait for HW3 upgrade packages, whenever those become available. If you are lucky, before the lease runs out.
o_O

I have NAP. I'm talking about upgrading to MCU3. If by some black magic Tesla adds NAP to surface streets and/or the ability to autostop at street lights and signs in next few months;I'd pay for MCU3. However it would have to be a $50 -$75 increased monthly payment or <= $1000.

I convinced my son to buy a M3 mid range with EAP. I also urged him to buy the FSD asap. He checked his tesla account and called the sales office but it took a month before there was an option for FSD for him and the price was 5K. He called the sales office which said this was a good deal and it should be 7K. Now it's 6K. We never found a way to buy before the 5k price which makes his FSD + ESD cost 10K or now 11K. Fair pricing from Tesla is out the window. I know Elon said it could be 2K and many on the forum said they purchased at 2k we just couldn't figure out how. Surely we aren't the only ones caught in this feature offer. Located in the bay area.

I'm a legacy EAP owner and I will pay exactly $0 for FSD/HW3. I paid $5,800 for EAP and I'll bite my tongue on that... but I do love it and use it all the time.
Thank you for your thoughtful inquiry-

Yes, I enjoy AEP but don't trust it to ever be better than a human. I turn it off now at tricky areas and use it mainly for straight-always and long trips. If you've ever been in an accident- completely blindsided by another car--you (I did anyway) become a very defensive driver. It's hard for me personally to even be a passenger in a car and give up control. I guess I'm a control freak now when it comes to my safety in a vehicle. I walked away from that accident, but psychologically, not so much.
Yes, I'm angry. I overpaid for EAP. For what I paid it should include FSD/HW3. Shortly after I bought it, Elon played pricing games with no concern for those of us who just shelled out huge amounts.
Yes, troubled by the term FSD- Elon just created it by stealing features from EAP- So far, FSD doesn't exist. If the day comes. that it's so fantastic that I can't live without it I'll probably be too old to drive. Its a gimmick right now, it might be something to show off to your friends at some point, but a car that truly takes you to a destination safely, 100% autonomously, consistently- not in my lifetime. I can't even consistently get my phone to work as a key!.. so drive me to Disney by itself??...- nope.
ditto. My experience exactly. Bought the free test EAP for $5800. Don’t think I would ever trust FSD at 6k more.

Reactions: Runnergirl