Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many EAP owners would pay for the 3.0 FSD computer at what price?

How much would you pay now to upgrade to the new 3.0 computer?

• I'd pay cash $2k

Votes: 115 72.8%
  • I'd pay cash $3k

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • I'd pay cash $4k

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I'll pay the curent $6k price

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no confidence in using either AP or FSD with V2.5 in congested LA traffic. It does too many wonky things for me to feel comfortable with it, and if I have to constantly keep my hands on the wheel and supervise it to make sure it’s not doing anything stupid I might as well just drive the car by myself.

If down the road V3 allows FSD to be more reliable and consistent, I will evaluate what price I would be willing to pay for it. But I won’t pay anything for it until Tesla can prove to me that it’s trustworthy to use.

HW3 will become more useful once it becomes the majority of installs. As an owner of a HW3 equipped car, it is actually less beneficial than HW2.5 because they are disabling features (presumable due to inability to get the same number of test miles as HW 2.5 and earlier). An example of this is that even with 2019.12.1.2, I still don't have NOA without lane change confirmation.

On the broader question of "Is it worth it?" You're buying something on faith of later delivery. Tesla is quite honest about this... It's Beta, it works well in a confined set of conditions, it gets better over time. Personally, I'm rather enjoying seeing the improvements over time, and am happy to take the ride with them. If you buy expecting perfection now, you're better off saving your money.

Reactions: bredi
I would only upgrade to FSD with the following constraints:

1. Not buying anything else until it's implemented, working, and available. Not paying for any future promises anymore.

2. If/when that happens, I'll pay only as much as the difference between what I paid for EAP ($5K) and the total new price for FSD (currently $6K). Thus, if it were available right now, was working, and was available, I'd pay $1K, not a penny more.

3. HW 3.0 computer has to be available and ready for immediate install. Not buying it if I have to wait, get on a list, etc. My P3D is 9 months old, still doesn't have a spoiler. A spoiler. A plastic piece that sticks on with tape. You can't get that to me in 9 months, and I'm supposed to trust that you'll have HW 3 AP computers for everyone? GTFO.

Reactions: Sherlo and Hank42
You are missing the most obvious choice (and thus I didn't select any): $0
I'm not a fan of throwing 4-figure sums at vague and unrealistic promises. Therefore, $2-6K for NAP is silly steep, and everything else does not exist, does not work well enough, or works only in YouTube demo clips.

If, and when, new features become available for actual end-user testing, I will re-evaluate my answer.
But right now, the rumored FSD feature set does not add up to anything close to Full Sell Driving capability. And I don't have any reason to believe that it will before I get tired of my Model 3 and sell it.

Therefore, I see no reason to throw away $2-6K on something that does not exist, and may not materialize before I part ways with my M3.

a

I've been in a few accidents, certainly traumatized. I don't expect
NOA to be a full driver replacement. One thing it does for me is
handle lane changes. I don't close my eyes, I check the display and
mirrors, but I let it choose where to insert itself for lane changes.
That and stop-and-go traffic. Strain-reducing game changers.

I've also had a chance to re-test several situations where I thought
the AP had "failed" and found that I had accidentally disengaged
the AP during a move (by jerking in response to the blue nag).

One thing I noticed early on was to what degree my "objective"
evaluation of the Tesla automation is influenced by my emotional
state, my view of Elon Musk in particular. Uncanny how that works.

The more frustrated I got at e.g. the pricing bounces, the less
I trusted the AP.

It can change, but at this point I'm getting a specific wind from
watching the way all the inflated FUD is hitting TSLA stock.

If I look at the core questions I can't avoid the conclusion that
fundamentally Musk/Tesla is choosing the correct future, and
the naysayers are not. I voted by buying this car. I'm very glad
I did. I'm willing to go further.

I don't think you should be comparing the cost of EAP at $5,000 and FSD at $6,000 to say upgrade cost should be $1,000.
When EAP was available pricing was $5,000 for EAP and $3,000 for FSD upgrade. Then they changed it to AP for $3,000 and FSD for $5,000 additional. For a time, there were some pretty good deals for those who hadn't purchased one or both. I took advantage of the $2,000 upgrade to FSD. So I'm in for $7,000 total. (Some were able to go all in for $5k)

But the current pricing is AP included (which should arguably still be valued at $3,000 and FSD for $6000. So you really should be comparing $5,000 for EAP and $9,000 for current AP + FSD, so $4,000 to upgrade from EAP to FSD would be even. Maybe you can value the base AP at less than $3,000, but I don't think you can value it at $0.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Ok, wait. Are you asking what we would pay to upgrade from EAP to FSD (which would get the new chip) or are you asking what we would pay to simply get the new chip? Those are really different questions and that's probably why you're getting screwy results.

I'd pay $2K for FSD but nothing for just a chip that doesn't do me any good.

Supposedly, at 2019.16, the software running on HW3 is about as good as the software running on HW2.5, so no reason yet to get HW3 for those of us with EAP.

Expecting that later this year, Tesla will improve the software running on HW3 to be significantly superior to that running on HW2.5. Not necessarily any new features compared to existing EAP, but using the massive increase in image processing to do EAP better. Basically using more cameras at higher resolution and higher FPS.

At that point we get to choose whether to swap the HW2.5 computer board for the HW3 computer board. And that's really the question posed in this survey, but it doesn't make it very clear.

I tried to get the $2K FSD upgrade back in March for this upgrade, but couldn't due to a bug on Tesla website. That website bug still exists.

When EAP is much better on HW3 (aka FSD computer), I'd be OK with paying $1,500 to upgrade my car's computer.

I don't understand why they can't at least keep the 2k option open for EAP purchasers. I was out of town travelling at the time the announcement was made, and didn't have 2k I was willing to drop on a whim after still recovering from my down payment just a few months earlier. If I didn't pay 2k then, I want to know how the hell Tesla expects me to want to pay 5, and then 6k for it. They're driving me further away, not encouraging me to give them a penny more. This whole thing is crappy enough, but when added on top of the fact that my exact build decreased by $4k just weeks after delivery, there's no way I'm paying another $6k to round my out of pocket cost up to $10k over the exact same car rolling off the line now.

When EAP is much better on HW3 (aka FSD computer), I'd be OK with paying $1,500 to upgrade my car's computer.

There's currently no evidence that will ever be the case though.

HW3 is going to run a different code base with a much larger NN to support the advanced FSD features that EAP will never get.

Since EAP isn't sold anymore (and never was for HW3 cars) it seems unlikely they'll do much/any development on a codebase for EAP-only vehicles once they get it feature complete for HW2.5 (which it will be with advance summon).

So likely the only way EAP folks will ever get HW3 (or get any benefit from it anyway) is buying FSD... which is something Elon already specifically said when explaining the HW3 upgrade was only needed for FSD, not EAP.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I don't understand why they can't at least keep the 2k option open for EAP purchasers.

Because everyone (mostly early adopters) who paid 3k and up for it, explicitly based on the promise doing so pre-delivery meant they were getting it CHEAPER than anybody would get it post-delivery, got super pissed over the 2k sale- and thus Elon admitted it was a mistake and it got rolled back.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
@ckharrison10 I'm with you on wanting it to not be $11k total.
I'd be happy closer to the $8k figure, like you're wanting.

It's really unfortunate that no matter what, it seems there are
M3 owners angry at Musk. Since he doesn't advertise or make
much effort to communicate with the general public, that's not good.

I think that if he went on the cable news channels to show people
what the company is accomplishing, it would help.

People who didn’t support Tesla and didn’t buy EAP for $5k got FSD for $5k. They dare ask me for an additional $2k for FSD after paying $5k for EAP and After dropping the price of the exact same car by $6k in a few months? oh hell no! I’ll pay $0. Not giving Tesla anymore money.

Reactions: MattUNI
So here is a question

You pay the $6000 (current price) or whatever price they come up with next for FSD upgrade. The upgrade as it stands now included HW3 for those who do not have it.

When they install HW3 do you get to keep your older version HW2.5 or lower so that if some day in the future your HW3 dies and Tesla has a back log for replacement HW3 you could then swap back to HW2.5 ?

You did already pay for the hardware you have now. You would be paying for the new hardware so ... ???