Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many EAP owners would pay for the 3.0 FSD computer at what price?

How much would you pay now to upgrade to the new 3.0 computer?

• I'd pay cash $2k

Votes: 115 72.8%
  • I'd pay cash $3k

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • I'd pay cash $4k

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I'll pay the curent $6k price

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it weren’t for the fact that 2.x hardware is reaching it’s limit , most ppl might be better off with EAP for next little while seeing as it overlaps so much with current FSD definition. That being said I took the plunge at 2k as it gets a hardware retrofit (which at some point even EAP will need)

Not quite, no.

Since FSD pricing was the same before/after HW3 was even announced.

(I mean, it's gone up/down a few times, but never changes due to HW3)

When you paid for FSD it essentially came with a promise the car had the HW needed to do it. So since they determined you need HW3 to do it, you get HW3 "free" as an FSD owner.

It's absolutely a free upgrade, to enable a software set of features. And Elon has called it as such numerous times.

Except you're not upgrading your phone. You're buying FSD. They realized they need to swap in HW3 to make that work so they're doing that for free for 2.x cars. For those who already HAVE HW3 with a new car, the price isn't any different.

The HW3 swap is not a separate line item. It's a free upgrade (as Elon stated) to enable the software features you bought.

Unlike in your example, you have no option to get a different price based on the HW swap or not.

Ok let's do some math.

New car buyer pays $6000 for FSD (I just checked).

Prior to FSD you had AP and EAP (EAP features is part of the FSD package now). EAP at the time cost $5000.
If you bought EAP for $5000 and now have to pay an additional $6000 to have FSD then you would be paying $11,000 instead of $6000 for the same option as if you bought the car now. Definitely not the same.

That's quite the issue. The cost of different add-ons kept changing
as they redefined things. I got EAP for $5k on a Mid Range M3 with
Premium interior, and at one point there was a $3k "FSD" add-on.
Total ~ $8K to get to 3.0 hardware with street level NOA, or "FSD"
as it's called.

Today the SR+ is cheaper but has a smaller battery, a part-premium
interior, no streaming or satellite maps, a more basic AP than what
we got in EAP, so it's hard to compare. There have been other combos.

In any case, we might agree that the total automation tends to add
around $8k to a (theoretical?) purely manual M3. But not $11k.

Hence my willingness to add another $3k to the EAP $5k = $8k
since I want the 3.0 hardware and the street level NOA. I would
expect thousands of other EAP owners to agree, so we can prevail
with Musk.

Ok let's do some math.

Prior to FSD you had AP and EAP (EAP features is part of the FSD package now). EAP at the time cost $5000.
If you bought EAP for $5000 and now have to pay an additional $6000 to have FSD then you would be paying $11,000 instead of $6000 for the same option as if you bought the car now. Definitely not the same.
I think the actual difference is $3k - $11k for EAP owners all-in, and $8k for new buyers ($2k mandatory cost for basic autopilot, plus $6k for FSD).

While Tesla has said they will "raise the price" as new features come out, I have yet to see any new driving features from my original EAP purchase last October. NoA and its auto lane change probably qualify, but they are still not great for use in my area of NJ. In almost all questionable scenarios, I have to take over (merging two lanes into one in traffic, missing my typical exit, merging right to an exit that goes from one highway to another, etc).

I also question the "appreciating asset" timeline. First, there is competition - 1. Tesla's own cars which very well could be prioritizing over owner cars, 2. there are tons of Model 3's and other Tesla's in my area, 3. competition from Uber and Lyft (people who don't have Tesla's may be unlikely to join a Tesla only network for ridesharing), and 4. the fees earned for all this driving. Tesla is basically stating they'll charge us for the priveledge of making them more money, while we maintain the liability and everything else that comes with the car.

All that said, I'm not an early adopter of many things, so I'll have to see some data on FSD's use cases before I decide whatever money I plunk down is worth it.

Ok let's do some math.

You appear to have missed the entire point of the post to which you are replying.

let me try and repeat it more simply.

A HW3 car and a HW2.5 car, both buying FSD at the same time, both pay the same amount for it.

Because they are buying a software feature set- not an FSD computer.

The 2.5 owner gets his computer swapped, (for free, per Elons own words) because it's needed to enable those software features he purchased- not because he "paid" for the upgraded computer.

An early model 3 owner paid 5k for autopilot and it says you can add FSD for 6k totaling 11k. A new buyer pays a total of 6k for FSD.

no idea why the upgrade for someone that already paid 5k isn't like 2 or 3K. this is just stupid. the pricing makes no sense and the take rate for early adopters has to be extremely low. who is going to pay a total of 11K and add FSD to their account today. surely at some point they'll see the error and fix it as you'd have to be insane to add it for 6K today. in some ways you are almost better off buying a new model 3 (collecting the smaller tax incentives) and selling your current 3 if you want to upgrade to FSD now.

I missed the $2000 upgrade and am shocked that they are now charging $6000 for an upgrade when I already paid $5000 for EAP. FSD wasn’t even an option for me at purchase. I feel betrayed and it has shake. My confidence club Tesla. That said, I will pay $2000 if and when FSD launches. But the whole ordeal has destroyed my trust in Tesla and turned me from an advocate to a detractor. I’ve actually counselled a few people to wait out on a purchase until Tesla sorts itself out and pricing is more stable.

Here's another look at purchasing FSD:

• EAP/FSD are not transferable features from vehicle to vehicle. They are locked to the vehicle. If your Tesla is totaled and your insurance does not cover the EAP/FSD features you would be out $11K+ ($5K for EAP and possibility $6K for FSD currently)

I do wished Tesla would offer a subscription service for FSD that can be tied to an owner and not locked to vehicle specific.

Thoughts on this?

Reactions: afadeev
Here's another look at purchasing FSD:

• EAP/FSD are not transferable features from vehicle to vehicle. They are locked to the vehicle. If your Tesla is totaled and your insurance does not cover the EAP/FSD features you would be out $11K+ ($5K for EAP and possibility $6K for FSD currently)

Thoughts on this?

My thought is if your car insurance doesn't cover replacement cost for a car including the options on the car you should get better insurance

As an EAP owner (got car in December 2018) I want the new 3.0 hardware. I know it won't change what I have immediately, but it will. I want to help Tesla keep developing the technology. But at what price, after EAP already cost me $5k?

OP, why don't you have option for $1000 or $500? That's the ballpark I would pay, to support Tesla develops the technology. Especially I've already paid into AP, and FSD is just the enhanced version of AP, what AP should've been. Elon is a businessman, he chopped up each function separately and charged us each piece separately. Does not mean we have to work within the price frame he setup. When you have the money you have the power.

I think the future value of HW 3.0 and FSD (with ability to monetize the car into the Tesla Autonomous Taxi Network ) is worth upwards of $30,000. I also think that when the Tesla Network is online and demonstrably able to monetize private Tesla owners' cars that the cost of FSD will be much more than it is now. If I didn't have FSD now I would pay $15,000 for it for fear that if I didn't it would be even more to add it later. They have a plan. The plan suggests that the value of a M3 in the network will be 200K a year. Watch the full autonomy investor presentation.