Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many EAP owners would pay for the 3.0 FSD computer at what price?

How much would you pay now to upgrade to the new 3.0 computer?

• I'd pay cash $2k

Votes: 115 72.8%
  • I'd pay cash $3k

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • I'd pay cash $4k

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I'll pay the curent $6k price

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
This is a good idea to propose to Tesla. We'll give them $2000 for FSD + HW3 NOW..... or.... maybe they will have fewer people paying more much later.

Elon said FSD would be ready at the end of this year, so that means the end of next year. And by then, HW3.5 or HW4 should be just about ready, and then at the last minute, there'll be some senate subcommittee hearing on if FSD in TeslaTaxis should be approved, so that'll push it another 6 months or so, while a bunch of politicians who don't know the first thing about vehicle autonomy decide on it.

Reactions: Hank42
Elon said FSD would be ready at the end of this year, so that means the end of next year. And by then, HW3.5 or HW4 should be just about ready, and then at the last minute, there'll be some senate subcommittee hearing on if FSD in TeslaTaxis should be approved, so that'll push it another 6 months or so, while a bunch of politicians who don't know the first thing about vehicle autonomy decide on it.

You seriously believe Elon's time-frame?
Seriously?

You pay the $6000 (current price) or whatever price they come up with next for FSD upgrade

people have said they will honor whatever the upgrade price was at the time you bought your car if you ask them. for me, that's $5k. that's the price i would be willing to pay, once they start showing me that features that aren't already included with my EAP purchase actually work.

So here is a question

You pay the $6000 (current price) or whatever price they come up with next for FSD upgrade. The upgrade as it stands now included HW3 for those who do not have it.

When they install HW3 do you get to keep your older version HW2.5 or lower so that if some day in the future your HW3 dies and Tesla has a back log for replacement HW3 you could then swap back to HW2.5 ?

You did already pay for the hardware you have now. You would be paying for the new hardware so ... ???

I bet Tesla has not even considered that a customer might request to keep the original computer. I would want to keep it too since I paid for it and I consider it mine. Unless it's buried in a ToS somewhere that the computer is licensed or some crap like that. I have less concern about needing it to serve as a backup to a malfunctioning HW3 computer.

I bought EAP with the car originally, and then took Tesla up on the $2k FSD upgrade. For me, it was simply future-proofing the car. At some point in the future - no one knows when - new updates or features will require HW3. I plan to keep my Model 3 Performance for a long time.

On the other hand, we have a leased Model X and I wouldn't even think about such a thing.

Reactions: Ilikestuff
I bet Tesla has not even considered that a customer might request to keep the original computer. I would want to keep it too since I paid for it and I consider it mine. Unless it's buried in a ToS somewhere that the computer is licensed or some crap like that. I have less concern about needing it to serve as a backup to a malfunctioning HW3 computer.

If any other part on your car was replaced under warranty or a courtesy service update, would you expect them to give you the old part then too? (examples might include early RWD buyers who got the softer suspension swapped for free)

If any other part on your car was replaced under warranty or a courtesy service update, would you expect them to give you the old part then too? (examples might include early RWD buyers who got the softer suspension swapped for free)

More importantly, what are they going to do with the old HW2.5 card? What are the chance of reusing the chips and if it is even worthwhile to do so with the cost?

Do you guys thinks there will be another "Super FSD" coming up for bringing the car to the HW4 and more autonomy driving? do you think the FSD will stop at HW3?

I bought EAP for 5000. and am happy with it. I does a great job driving on the freeways but I'm also paying attention to what its doing. I would not buy FSD as an add on. FSD may never get approved and I would not trust a computer to fully drive the car and put my family and myself in the hands of a computer.

This is a good idea to propose to Tesla. We'll give them $2000 for FSD + HW3 NOW..... or.... maybe they will have fewer people paying more much later.

Tesla having been shipping HW3 (aka FSD computer) since April, so the hardware is here.
There isn't an upgrade package available yet for 2.5 -> 3, but since it currently doesn't get you anything, no sweat.
Supposedly there will also be an upgrade package for 2 -> 3, but that's not been released yet and is more complex than 2.5->3.

So we are waiting for the price of the HW3 upgrade package, though I presume once the upgrade package is available they'll be first retrofitting cars for people who paid for FSD.

I bought EAP for 5000. and am happy with it. I does a great job driving on the freeways but I'm also paying attention to what its doing. I would not buy FSD as an add on. FSD may never get approved and I would not trust a computer to fully drive the car and put my family and myself in the hands of a computer.

The survey was about whether you'll pay for a hardware upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3, not about paying for thr FSD software, though the software includes the hardware upgrade.

The survey was about whether you'll pay for a hardware upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3, not about paying for thr FSD software, though the software includes the hardware upgrade.

Paying for FSD is how you get the HW3 upgrade

The only one that exists. And given Elon said HW3 is only needed for FSD, the only one likely to exist.

So upgrading to FSD is an upgrade you are paying for and as Elon stated it includes HW3 in the pricing. So you bought a car with HWx and paying to upgrade you computer to HW3 and software updates. This is in no way a free upgrade or courtesy upgrade.

If you up grade you phone you can trade it in for a small fraction or the price or keep it if it was paid in full. This is really no different.

So upgrading to FSD is an upgrade you are paying for and as Elon stated it includes HW3 in the pricing.

Not quite, no.

Since FSD pricing was the same before/after HW3 was even announced.

(I mean, it's gone up/down a few times, but never changes due to HW3)

When you paid for FSD it essentially came with a promise the car had the HW needed to do it. So since they determined you need HW3 to do it, you get HW3 "free" as an FSD owner.

So you bought a car with HWx and paying to upgrade you computer to HW3 and software updates. This is in no way a free upgrade or courtesy upgrade.

It's absolutely a free upgrade, to enable a software set of features. And Elon has called it as such numerous times.

Elon Musk on twitter said:
Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free

If you up grade you phone you can trade it in for a small fraction or the price or keep it if it was paid in full. This is really no different.

Except you're not upgrading your phone. You're buying FSD. They realized they need to swap in HW3 to make that work so they're doing that for free for 2.x cars. For those who already HAVE HW3 with a new car, the price isn't any different.

The HW3 swap is not a separate line item. It's a free upgrade (as Elon stated) to enable the software features you bought.

Unlike in your example, you have no option to get a different price based on the HW swap or not.

FWIW I believe that what we got for $5k in EAP is a bargain.
I use these capabilities all the time and appreciate the M3.
The next level of development makes use of a 10x faster CPU.

I can understand debating if or when you upgrade to "next",
and at what price. What I don't understand is all the negativity.

I'm watching TSLA stock get hammered, in a wave of ignorant
hate like "who needs this electric DeLorean" and manipulatively
negative jabs from the competition like "Musk treats employees
badly" and "Autopilot continues to kill". You too, Brutus?

If previous years are any indication, around 20,000 people were
killed so far this year in cars under control of presumably skillful
humans. Nobody wants to be in such statistics, but just a minute,
how many has Autopilot "killed"?

Last edited:
So upgrading to FSD is an upgrade you are paying for and as Elon stated it includes HW3 in the pricing. So you bought a car with HWx and paying to upgrade you computer to HW3 and software updates. This is in no way a free upgrade or courtesy upgrade.

You're not gonna get to keep the old compute unit.

Reactions: socal_suburbanit