Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles out of a S75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me wrong, I love my S75D and all the tech it brings. However, I replaced an Escalade EXT that was the family vehicle for going on trips in the range of 300-500 miles (after 500 miles, either fly or stay home). I took my first test run to a city about 350 miles away. Had the car plan the trip just like a good Tesla owner does. All looked good. But when you drive on Florida's I95, you find 80 MPH the norm, which makes the estimated mileage fall apart. :( I accept the blame but I must say no one at Tesla was talking about the mileage of an S75D being based on, what, 45 MPH?? I would have likely paid up for the 90. Is there a chart out there for derating mileage at different speeds? For uprating when hyper-miling?

Escalade gets terrible mileage when going over 80 MPH too.
Tesla just has a smaller tank and fewer filling stations.

Headwinds or heavy rain will also require slowing down or making more charging stops.

Display will tell you if you will need to slow down to make your chosen Supercharger.

FWIW Tesla's website for Model S has had a Range Per Charge tool that's been up there since at least December 2016 when we ordered ours. They've updated it as models and motor configs have changed. Kind of limited and shows speed from 45mph - 70mph, outside temp from 0 to 110F (with heat or AC on or off), and wheels either 19 or 21 inch. I remember we played with a bit deciding if we would be happy enough with the 75D given our expected driving.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S75D and all the tech it brings. However, I replaced an Escalade EXT that was the family vehicle for going on trips in the range of 300-500 miles (after 500 miles, either fly or stay home). I took my first test run to a city about 350 miles away. Had the car plan the trip just like a good Tesla owner does. All looked good. But when you drive on Florida's I95, you find 80 MPH the norm, which makes the estimated mileage fall apart. :( I accept the blame but I must say no one at Tesla was talking about the mileage of an S75D being based on, what, 45 MPH?? I would have likely paid up for the 90. Is there a chart out there for derating mileage at different speeds? For uprating when hyper-miling?
SLOW DOWN, you are not obliged to drive at that fast speed, stay to the right keep your wh/miles below 330 and you'll see better range.

Yea, don't hang out on the fast lane and you won't feel compelled to go 80. I just did a trip to Orlando from South Carolina and on my first leg I did 251 miles and still had 10% of the battery left when I hit the Supercharger.

Last edited:
Set the cruise control on 70-75, keep wh/mi below 350 and you will be fine. Going over 75 rapidly results in lost time unless you don't need to charge on the way. This is well reported and known by all owners and I was aware of it prior to buying but not something that is advertised by Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
FWIW Tesla's website for Model S has had a Range Per Charge tool that's been up there since at least December 2016 when we ordered ours. They've updated it as models and motor configs have changed. Kind of limited and shows speed from 45mph - 70mph, outside temp from 0 to 110F (with heat or AC on or off), and wheels either 19 or 21 inch. I remember we played with a bit deciding if we would be happy enough with the 75D given our expected driving.

Yeah, just found that. Interesting. I did not think the miles would fall off that quickly at higher speeds but I guess they do. Also interesting how many more miles you get at lower speeds.

Yeah, just found that. Interesting. I did not think the miles would fall off that quickly at higher speeds but I guess they do. Also interesting how many more miles you get at lower speeds.
I was going a few over the speed limit with Autopilot set for the entire trip:
Orlando%20trip.jpg

There are two things here:
(1) Some people (not picking on your specifically) seemed to be completely unaware that they got pathetic garbage fuel mileage with their Cadillac Escalades and other big gas vehicles at 80 mph. They just never paid any attention to that. So yeah, you were in the habit of ignoring physics before and are paying attention to it now.

(2) Here's where you're a little justified. Electric vehicles are more noticeably affected by this than gas vehicles. This is the curse of extremely fantastic efficiency. When you have a system that is 90% efficient, any other additional losses show up much larger because it has a whole lot to lose, so that loss can go up from 10% to 20% easily and be noticeable. But for a gasoline vehicle that is constantly blowing two thirds of the energy of the gasoline out through the tailpipe and the radiator as heat, there is already so much wasted energy that you can barely notice extra losses, because the percentages would be smaller. You could be at 80+ mph and dragging an elk carcass under your vehicle, and you might be a few mpg below your average and not notice it much.