Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Vehicle dynamics really haven't changed in decades.

We have a lot of people trying to generate engagement and clicks by speculating on range based on power point marketing slides of a pre-production vehicle. Sandy didn't bite.

Isn't that true of every? My Model X does that when going to Tahoe. And my BMW SUV had the same behavior.

Most of the F-150s that I see haul a few pieces of furniture from Ikea or a few bags of mulch from Home Depot once a year. The other 99.9% of the time they are used to run kids to school, go to the store, or commute to and from work. People buy them because you sit high, they have space, and you might need to haul something someday.
I know my raptor use case is similar. It’s great for lugging stuff to the Giants game for tailgating.

Sandy's take on F150 range. Question 7 @ 11:16.

TLDW: Count on less than half of the range when loaded and going up a hill.

Ford is actually conservative when giving out range numbers... see the Mach E. Tesla on the other hand is quite ambitious...
The F150 is their absolute flagship and bread and butter vehicle... they certainly won't state 300 miles of range when in reality it's a lot less. Towing is obviously a different topic but 150-200 miles towing ain't bad honestly.

Ford is actually conservative when giving out range numbers... see the Mach E. Tesla on the other hand is quite ambitious...
The F150 is their absolute flagship and bread and butter vehicle... they certainly won't state 300 miles of range when in reality it's a lot less. Towing is obviously a different topic but 150-200 miles towing ain't bad honestly.
I'd agree, they wont screw up the f150 and judging by the mache they are moving really fast for a legacy. They'll sell every one they can make, battery will be the constraint. For me the CT is the better solution but every ICE truck we can get off the road is a win.

I'd agree, they wont screw up the f150 and judging by the mache they are moving really fast for a legacy. They'll sell every one they can make, battery will be the constraint. For me the CT is the better solution but every ICE truck we can get off the road is a win.
what keeps me away from the F150 Lightning is the charging infrastructure. EA on Walmart parking lots isn't super appealing to me and I wouldn't want my wife charging at night in the back end of a Walmart parking lot either. Plus most EA locations are 4 stalls only and plagued by technical issues... as non Tesla EVs are being pumped out... those 4 stalls will fill up quickly. The vehicle itself looks very promising and Ford knows a thing or two about building trucks

what keeps me away from the F150 Lightning is the charging infrastructure. EA on Walmart parking lots isn't super appealing to me and I wouldn't want my wife charging at night in the back end of a Walmart parking lot either. Plus most EA locations are 4 stalls only and plagued by technical issues... as non Tesla EVs are being pumped out... those 4 stalls will fill up quickly. The vehicle itself looks very promising and Ford knows a thing or two about building trucks

I have the same concerns but I honestly only charged a handful of times at a Tesla SC so I figure home charging will be enough.

I have the same concerns but I honestly only charged a handful of times at a Tesla SC so I figure home charging will be enough.
If you road trip your going to need to charge away from home. I actually ran into a SC station on a trip that was packed to capacity with a few Tesla’s waiting. It was in the middle of San Antonio and Houston…some hotel. Point is when you need to charge and you’re trying to get home waiting at a charging station or worse arriving and the station is broken…No Bueno. Tesla has done an A+ job in keeping their stations in good working condition… I can’t say that for any of the other public stations I’ve visited.

If you road trip your going to need to charge away from home. I actually ran into a SC station on a trip that was packed to capacity with a few Tesla’s waiting. It was in the middle of San Antonio and Houston…some hotel. Point is when you need to charge and you’re trying to get home waiting at a charging station or worse arriving and the station is broken…No Bueno. Tesla has done an A+ job in keeping their stations in good working condition… I can’t say that for any of the other public stations I’ve visited.
ironically of Tesla does open SuperChargers to other manufacturers and the F150 Lightning gets an adapter... I would very seriously consider the F150 Lightning.

ironically of Tesla does open SuperChargers to other manufacturers and the F150 Lightning gets an adapter... I would very seriously consider the F150 Lightning.
Not sure why Elon would want to give up this competitive advantage….oh wait, money. Don’t get me wrong the cars are great but, not pointing any fingers, couldn’t have been put together better.

Reactions: TessP100D
Not sure why Elon would want to give up this competitive advantage….oh wait, money. Don’t get me wrong the cars are great but, not pointing any fingers, couldn’t have been put together better.
Think it would be ok for them to do this for money and to help adoption. I don’t think Tesla thinks they’ll be the only provider of BEV’s now and in the future. The cash could with other R&D, etc. just a thought.

Think it would be ok for them to do this for money and to help adoption. I don’t think Tesla thinks they’ll be the only provider of BEV’s now and in the future. The cash could with other R&D, etc. just a thought.
I own a Tesla with free unlimited super charging. It’s a big advantage for me. If the SC network is opened up to all other EVs, that advantage will be gone. I’m not going like waiting to charge for a leaf or a bolt or a whatever. Tesla the company might make more money but it will suck for Tesla vehicle owners.
If they do this, it will make it much easier to switch to Ford or Rivian, and leave Tesla for good.

If they do this, it will make it much easier to switch to Ford or Rivian, and leave Tesla for good
I agree Tesla’s charging network is a huge advantage for them, but so are their cars. Specifically their build quality. While some detractors whine about the fit and finish of Tesla vehicles the the fact remains they are extremely safe and reliable. As Elon repeatedly points out, building EV’s on production scale is not easy.

Audi recalls its electric SUV over battery fire risk – TechCrunch

[UPDATED] GM announces recall after a dozen Bolt EV Fires; 6 key questions with answers from GM

Porsche Recalls Taycan EV for Total Loss of Power

Agree that if the supercharger network was opened I would definitely look at other brands differently. I could see why Tesla would take such action to further drive adoption of EV's, but they would need to, in turn, rapidly expand the SC network to handle the extra users. If other OEM's want to chip in and help build out the network crazy fast it could be win-win. If it is just a one way street with Tesla sharing, then the Tesla ownership experience will be diminished.

I agree Tesla’s charging network is a huge advantage for them, but so are their cars. Specifically their build quality. While some detractors whine about the fit and finish of Tesla vehicles the the fact remains they are extremely safe and reliable. As Elon repeatedly points out, building EV’s on production scale is not easy.

Audi recalls its electric SUV over battery fire risk – TechCrunch

[UPDATED] GM announces recall after a dozen Bolt EV Fires; 6 key questions with answers from GM

Porsche Recalls Taycan EV for Total Loss of Power

the links you quote are related to engineering/ technical issues... *not* build quality.

Fire risk is different from build quality. Build quality like fit/finish is absolutely not a strength of Tesla

I would give Tesla credit for not having major recalls but there are engineering issues like upper-control arms failing (even the newer Model 3s aren't immune) and 12v batteries dying within 2yrs and leaving the owner stranded.

Reactions: InternetDude