Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope you guys don't ever plan to tow with your F150-Lightning.

150 miles with the highest end Lightning and I'm already traumatized just thinking of arranging charging for it.

I presume you mean tow an air dam extra-urban at 65+ mph.

For urban duties it would be fine, but then again so would any vehicle with a hitch. I've thought over my choices and for now I'm going to continue renting a truck when needed. I cannot even really make a strong case to add a hitch to my Model 3 although it is close.

The Ford F 1-50 Lighting looks interesting. I am curious to see how many will consider this instead of the Cybertruck.

The price of the Lighting also looks pretty good ("Standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974.") especially with an EV rebate factored in. But, I imagine that is for a standard cab and crew cabs, which would be closer to the CyberTruck, would be considerably more.
The 40k version is a scaled down commercial only option.

I tow an Airstream, and the 150 miles of range for $60k kills it for me. For $69k I get a tri-motor with 250+ miles, much better charging network, faster acceleration, larger screen with better software, adjustable/tilting suspension, 3500# payload, longer bed, etc........

I feel like the Cybertruck is closer to the 3/4 ton category. I can't wait to trade in my diesel F250 for it!

That maps to around 2M EVs in North America and around 5M worldwide (cars sold overseas are smaller than American cars). That's around 80% of Ford's total volume, so Ford is basically committing to be ~80% EV by 2030.
Depends on battery size per vehicle and also shows that Ford will probably not be selling more evs than tesla anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: lottadot
Ford could sell them at a loss and undercut the competition.
yea they COULD undercut . . . . but w/ every new shiny trinket . . . . the middleman, stealerships will tack on a minimum $10,000 / $15,000 - because many get a $7,500 tax credit, not to mention possible state incentives. In the world of middlemen, they rationalize you'll pay, or get out. So yea, go ahead Ford, enrich your crooked sales criters all you want. Much of it is seldom passed on to the consumers.

I don’t know about you all but I also plan on keeping my CT for a very long time. If it holds up well, then great! Hopefully the last vehicle I ever want to purchase. I suspect it will hold up better than any traditional vehicle due to the stainless steel construction. Only concern is battery longevity.
Same, though I think battery longevity will be OK and will be protected by warranty. My silly concern is supercharging and the lack of spacing at existing supercharger locations. Can’t imagine cramming a huge truck into most of those spaces.

I ordered one. Nothing amazing, but hedging my bets.
What upset me is that the local dealership I selected already called. 🤣. Think they will try to add a markup when the time comes???

Man I can’t wait until that entire mode of operation / business model is burned from the face of the earth.
Yes they called me too like within an hour The salesman did t now anything about EV’s, and mentioned the ’’Bronco’’ 3 times in the span of 2 minutes. I finally told him the Bronco is a trash vehicle and won’t be around in 5 years. Typical Ford Dealer stuff. He though a hybrid was an EV too.

Price is tempting. Specs are inline with the dual motor CT I have in reserve. Considering a comparably equipped model is probably the XLT at ~$45k (after federal incentives), I'd still rather go $5k more for a CT.

I did buy more Ford stock though. 😁
I hope everybody realizes that a fed tax is it like a check. It depends on many factors such as your income and tax situations. In 2017 I got zero out of my possible 7,500 tax credit. Didnt help me at all.