Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were budgeted to get the base model, I’d go with the f150 lightening over the cybertruck as it comes with AWD standard and 300 miles vs cybertruck 250.

But on the top end, I’d definitely go cybertruck 500 miles vs 300.

One thing I really like about Ford’s EV marketing is the fact that they advertise real world range as opposed to Tesla’s perfect scenario range where you need to be on a flat road, optimal temp doing 68 mph max.
Most importantly a flat road. Any incline kills the mileage in a Tesla.

Definitely thinking of buying one. I have a Model Y and initially wanted to replace it with a CyberTruck later. After issues with the Model Y delivery, quality control, and all the false promises on self-driving, the F150 is *very* tempting. It's a truck that seems simple, has a huge frunk and seems to have the F150 quality.

I do not want to rush it and order now. If the build quality and range are as expected, will switch my CyberTruck reservation to the F150. Some features seem amazing (your car can charge your home!), the existing F150 trucks are great and I hope the range and quality of the car will be delivered without any issue.
It’s a hundred dollars. Do It. Cancel later if you don’t end up wanting to close the deal. Same as the CT

Here is the biggest problem I can see with the Ford Lightning.

This is from the reservation FAQ on the Ford site.

What price will I pay for my F-150 Lightning?

The pricing for your vehicle will be finalized at time of order. The entry model starts at $39,974 MSRP (commercial-oriented). More-equipped mid-series (XLT) starts at $52,974 MSRP, offering additional comfort and technology. MSRP starting at $39,974 up to around $90,474.1 This reservation does not guarantee you a specific price point.

Yes they called me too like within an hour The salesman did t now anything about EV’s, and mentioned the ’’Bronco’’ 3 times in the span of 2 minutes. I finally told him the Bronco is a trash vehicle and won’t be around in 5 years. Typical Ford Dealer stuff. He though a hybrid was an EV too.
They mentioned the bronco to me as well 🤣 . I bet we were read the same script.

It’s a hundred dollars. Do It. Cancel later if you don’t end up wanting to close the deal. Same as the CT
Too bad I can’t like this more than once. Anyone that thinks they may want one of these or a CT or any other electric truck in the somewhat-distant future should just make the reservation now and figure it out later. If a refundable $100 deposit is too rich for you, you may want to reconsider the affordability of any new vehicle.

That’s not what that tweet says, but it could be wrong. It states (for vehicles).
Tesla estimates 10 TWh/year of batteries needed for transportation, and another 10TWh of stationary storage, in order to zero out fossil fuels. Tesla itself wants to have 3TWh/year of capacity by 2030, with some split between vehicles and stationary. That's straight from the battery day slides.

(Now, 3TWh in 2030 is an Elon sez goal. And if you've been around a while, you know Elon sez numbers run on the, um, optimistic side.)

Ford's 240GWh to Tesla's 3TWh, that ratio is eerily close to the ratio between Ford and Tesla's market cap! Mr. Market isn't as irrational as everyone keeps insisting!

Tesla estimates 10 TWh/year of batteries needed for transportation, and another 10TWh of stationary storage, in order to zero out fossil fuels. Tesla itself wants to have 3TWh/year of capacity by 2030, with some split between vehicles and stationary. That's straight from the battery day slides.

(Now, 3TWh in 2030 is an Elon sez goal. And if you've been around a while, you know Elon sez numbers run on the, um, optimistic side.)

Ford's 240GWh to Tesla's 3TWh, that ratio is eerily close to the ratio between Ford and Tesla's market cap! Mr. Market isn't as irrational as everyone keeps insisting!
Will be interesting if Ford can make their own stated goals. Hope they do.

And yes, Elon has been “optimistic” on several occasions like FSD and Model S/X rollout. But at the same time was quite accurate on the 500k vehicles by 2020 which was stated several years before. And the model Y rollout was good.

Last edited:
Will be interesting if Ford can make their own stated goals. Hope they do.

And yes, Elon has been “optimistic” on several occasions like FSD and Model S/X rollout. But at the same time was quite accurate on the 500k vehicles by 2020 which was stated several years before. And the model Y rollout was good.
For you, @InternetDude.

Yes they called me too like within an hour The salesman did t now anything about EV’s, and mentioned the ’’Bronco’’ 3 times in the span of 2 minutes. I finally told him the Bronco is a trash vehicle and won’t be around in 5 years. Typical Ford Dealer stuff. He though a hybrid was an EV too.
This makes me really glad that I did NOT make a reservation. I find traditional auto salesmen to be very annoying.

If the reservation would lock in a price then I might have been more tempted. It will be interesting to see how many $ get added into "market adjustments" next year when the trucks start hitting the dealer lots.

By the way my opinion is that anything vehicle with a gas engine is trash, not just the Bronco. :)

I considered placing a reservation, but when I read the fine print as pointed out by KJD, I just said no- not now- I'll wait until I can purchase one through a buying service like Costco where all that Dealer BS can be left behind. I'd also expect to be hounded by the dealer for 18 -24 months while waiting on the truck - "Come on down, buy our ...." calls every 2 weeks or 2 days :)

Ford's other down fall will be the poor charging infrastructure for anyone wanting to go anywhere out of the range of their house. Electrify America is making progress, but nothing has yet to beat the experience Tesla provides with their own charging network. I've traveled many times well outside of my home range- I think I'm up to 96 unique superchargers, many I've visited multiple times, and except for 2 occasions- they have worked every time- One of those occasions was weather related, and the other was a new station that had just come on line but was down due to a power installation problem. An occasional bad stall is acceptable, but I've read many of the Electrify America sites just don't really work or if they do, not quite correctly ie slow..

The E-F150 is what I had expected Tesla's pickup to look like, While I know the CT is very popular - it's not my cup of tea. I'm an early Model S owner - and I really want to buy a Tesla pickup- but for now I'll just continue to use my Model S as a pickup.

My guess is the Sunrun gateway install will cost several thousand dollars, making this more of a marketing feature than an actual thing many customers will go through with.

Owners have already been paying thousands of dollars for installing a Tesla HPWC so if it costs a few thousand for Sunrun to do the same but with the additional feature of powering the house from the Ford truck then it's quite reasonable.

Some people just don't want to pay for solar, and Tesla doesn't allow Powerwall without solar, so Ford/Sunrun is a perfect niche for the next Texas blackout.

Reactions: SmartElectric