Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ford F-150 is the most popular vehicle in the USA. Not all are aware of this. I think the EV version has the potential to do well building on that reputation, and the operating experience is not a major a transition. It's high on my "next" list, although I don't plan on being in the market until after 2024.
I'll look at the Cybertruck also whenever it comes out. However if the features, drive-ability, and functionality don't match the Lightning, it just won't make the cut.

The Ford F-150 is the most popular vehicle in the USA. Not all are aware of this. I think the EV version has the potential to do well building on that reputation, and the operating experience is not a major a transition. It's high on my "next" list, although I don't plan on being in the market until after 2024.
I'll look at the Cybertruck also whenever it comes out. However if the features, drive-ability, and functionality don't match the Lightning, it just won't make the cut.
Lol f150 is a win in ice world, let see how Ice people like mediocre EV of their beloved truck plus shity charging network to work with. That will be major seller.

Lol f150 is a win in ice world, let see how Ice people like mediocre EV of their beloved truck plus shity charging network to work with. That will be major seller.
I worry too that the F150 Lightning may be too little. That the major ICE makers may be, once again, aiming low. Kind of like the Ford Focus EV or worse, the Ford Th!nk EV that topped out at 55 MPH. Sure, it could go on the freeway but . . . Even the MachE fell a bit short.
Tesla's long-range Cybertruck is sized to handle the non-aerodynamic hauling that people who need trucks need. I'm concerned that Ford and GM may not offer such and give EVs another bad name.

Picking up my XLT SR sometime next week!
Agate Black Metallic
+ Tow Tech Package
+ Max Tow Package
+ 9.6kw onboard
+ Tail gate step

All-in, $58,489.00 - $7500.00 federal tax credit = $50,989.00
Have a 1.74% 60month loan pending with CAFCU.

Figure I will at least take delivery and try it out for a few months and will sell if I don't like it. It looks like it will hold its value incredibly well ... at least for the next year or two.

The Ford F 1-50 Lighting looks interesting. I am curious to see how many will consider this instead of the Cybertruck.

The price of the Lighting also looks pretty good ("Standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974.") especially with an EV rebate factored in. But, I imagine that is for a standard cab and crew cabs, which would be closer to the CyberTruck, would be considerably more.
Yes, but reservations and ordering are closed.

Picking up my XLT SR sometime next week!
+ Tow Tech Package
+ Max Tow Package

Congratulations! Interesting that you choose towing package and SR battery combination, I myself am pondering the ER vs SR upgrade with tow package.

Q : You picked "tow tech" package, and on Ford Configurator in Canada picking this package removes the Co-Pilot "active" lane centering package. I don't know why these are mutually exclusive, did you see the same?

Congratulations! Interesting that you choose towing package and SR battery combination, I myself am pondering the ER vs SR upgrade with tow package.

Q : You picked "tow tech" package, and on Ford Configurator in Canada picking this package removes the Co-Pilot "active" lane centering package. I don't know why these are mutually exclusive, did you see the same?

If the ER was only $10k more then maybe, but its not. You have to add all sorts of other fluff to get it. $18-25k more !
Yes I saw the same, it removed the co-pilot active. That makes no sense what-so-ever so hoping it is a mistake.
Max Tow adds the second cooling loop, so I assume that should help with overall efficiency.

SR being 400lbs lighter at 98kw should also help with efficiency.
I did not feel the 98kwh -> 132kwh battery upgraded for >10k was worth it.

Have a SR Y now and it is a non-issue for us.

So I believe to argue "F-150 starts at $39,974" so it is less than a Cybertruck is disingenuous. I suspect there are examples of some dealers really selling at MSRP (with no documentation/prep/processing fees), but I don't think they're the norm, and most buyers will experience predatory pricing. Not for me, I have a choice.
First of all, Tesla charges doc/prep/processing fees ($1,450 on my MX Plaid back in May).

Second of all, Tesla prioritizes more expensive cars over cheaper ones. There are people with >1 year MX LR orders that have not received their cars while you can order an MX Plaid and receive it in a few weeks. So even with Tesla you can pay more to get your vehicle sooner. I agree that you are getting more value (Plaid vs LR) but my point is that even Tesla plays games in order to maximize their own revenue at the expense of customers.

I have a Lightning reservation with a local dealer and have in writing that the transaction will be at MSRP. Now of course, the dealer could prioritize order for which people will pay a markup, but in that case they are exactly the same as Tesla - you can pay more to get your vehicle sooner.

I can go either way. Tesla's customer service is absolutely atrocious. Dealerships at least have an incentive to keep customers happy (assuming there are other dealers within a reasonable driving distance). Now whether they care is another story but Tesla absolutely does not care.

The markups will correct as supply improves and the pool of people who are willing to pay stupid money to get something first will abate. Also, the product will improve as Ford learns from the early models. Further, Tesla's customer service will have to improve once there are valid alternatives in the market.

Bottom line is that we as consumers will benefit from the increased competition.

First of all, Tesla charges doc/prep/processing fees ($1,450 on my MX Plaid back in May).
Interesting. I had the delivery fee ($1125, the order fee ($250), and a $75 documentation fee on my recently delivered MY. The local Ford dealer has a $1695 delivery/prep fee. Then the $20000 ADM. You're saying Tesla's model is similar?

I agree with a number of your points, including the market will ....eventually.... tamp down these predatory ADMs from so many (most) dealers. I also believe you just might get your Lightning for MSRP. What a shame you know of a dealer who will do that, and I don't. Very unfriendly to the consumer. I have zero desire to call a number of dealers, and perhaps not really trust what they tell me anyway. Way to many stories on the Mach E forums about shady dealers. ZERO stores that I have read on the Tesla forums about shady financial dealings.

I also agree with the need for improvements in Tesla service. But I still maintain the Tesla sales model is so superior to dealers. I knew to the penny what my delivery would cost, and I didn't have to call different Tesla locations to see if they offered different pricing, and I had no finance manager at closing trying to sell me a bunch of profit options.

Interesting. I had the delivery fee ($1125, the order fee ($250), and a $75 documentation fee on my recently delivered MY. The local Ford dealer has a $1695 delivery/prep fee. Then the $20000 ADM. You're saying Tesla's model is similar?

I agree with a number of your points, including the market will ....eventually.... tamp down these predatory ADMs from so many (most) dealers. I also believe you just might get your Lightning for MSRP. What a shame you know of a dealer who will do that, and I don't. Very unfriendly to the consumer. I have zero desire to call a number of dealers, and perhaps not really trust what they tell me anyway. Way to many stories on the Mach E forums about shady dealers. ZERO stores that I have read on the Tesla forums about shady financial dealings.

I also agree with the need for improvements in Tesla service. But I still maintain the Tesla sales model is so superior to dealers. I knew to the penny what my delivery would cost, and I didn't have to call different Tesla locations to see if they offered different pricing, and I had no finance manager at closing trying to sell me a bunch of profit options.
My point about the doc/prep/processing fees is that EVERYONE does it, even Tesla.

As I said, there are plusses and minuses to dealers vs manufacturer sales. Tesla literally does not care if you are happy, ever. The crap I saw Tesla pull during the Refresh S and X rollouts have been horrendous. They were shipping cars with mismatch interior trim panels and the delivery staff were pressuring customers to accept the car and that Service will fix it. This is because Tesla lives and dies by production and delivery numbers. That is the ONLY thing Wall Street cares about and so that is all that Tesla cares about. On the other hand, dealerships often have to compete for customers and so there is an incentive to take care of the customer in the hopes that they will come back next time and refer others.

I think right now is a unique time with the supply crunches and dealers are feeling invincible. But I think people will remember once things swing back the other way.

My point about the doc/prep/processing fees is that EVERYONE does it, even Tesla.

As I said, there are plusses and minuses to dealers vs manufacturer sales. Tesla literally does not care if you are happy, ever. The crap I saw Tesla pull during the Refresh S and X rollouts have been horrendous. They were shipping cars with mismatch interior trim panels and the delivery staff were pressuring customers to accept the car and that Service will fix it. This is because Tesla lives and dies by production and delivery numbers. That is the ONLY thing Wall Street cares about and so that is all that Tesla cares about. On the other hand, dealerships often have to compete for customers and so there is an incentive to take care of the customer in the hopes that they will come back next time and refer others.

I think right now is a unique time with the supply crunches and dealers are feeling invincible. But I think people will remember once things swing back the other way.
thank you. there's often some "ignorance is bliss" here regarding what Tesla does vs. what dealers do. as you stated they absolutely charge doc/prep/processing fees and always have.

and one more data point: a friend finally took delivery of his BMW i4 and his dealer (Autonation in Plano) does *NOT* tack on additional markups and he paid msrp for his config.

Yup

“Every automaker charges a destination fee for their new vehicles, and, in most cases, each individual model carries its own fixed charge. You can expect to pay the same destination charge for the same new car within the continental U.S.”

The more I have looked into the F150 Lightning the more I just don't think it will meet my needs. I actually was seriously considering it as an alternative to the Cybertruck until the past couple weeks. My biggest concern is still the charging, the non-Tesla networks are just not viable no matter what marketing lies companies spit out. If Tesla does open up supercharging that could remove that concern. My other concern is hearing that real world owners are getting ~250miles range out of the long range battery (from full charge). That's insane, if the Cybertruck can actually deliver anything close to the 500 mile range that is an incredible difference. The yoke is a 100% dealbreaker for me so I will just have to see what aftermarket wheels become available.

The more I have looked into the F150 Lightning the more I just don't think it will meet my needs. I actually was seriously considering it as an alternative to the Cybertruck until the past couple weeks. My biggest concern is still the charging, the non-Tesla networks are just not viable no matter what marketing lies companies spit out. If Tesla does open up supercharging that could remove that concern. My other concern is hearing that real world owners are getting ~250miles range out of the long range battery (from full charge). That's insane, if the Cybertruck can actually deliver anything close to the 500 mile range that is an incredible difference. The yoke is a 100% dealbreaker for me so I will just have to see what aftermarket wheels become available.
The CCS network is rapidly expanding, and in a large way by EVGO. By the time the Cybertruck actually comes to market, I'd wager that the CCS charging situation will be quite different. I also don't foresee any way the Cybertruck will get 500 miles of actual range at highway speed. If a 500 mile EPA version does come to market, it will be something along the lines of a Plaid version, and at an insane price. So the choice is really buy a Lightning knowing that the charging system will continue to grow, or wait for the Cybertruck and compare both again at that time

thank you. there's often some "ignorance is bliss" here regarding what Tesla does vs. what dealers do. as you stated they absolutely charge doc/prep/processing fees and always have.

and one more data point: a friend finally took delivery of his BMW i4 and his dealer (Autonation in Plano) does *NOT* tack on additional markups and he paid msrp for his config.
To be clear though, Tesla doesn't at the last second charged $20K to $40K over sticker price. I had placed a deposit (they are very careful with the language) for an F150 Lightning. The dealer called me when the allotments were going out to let me know that whenever my number came up, to expect to pay at least $10K and maybe as much as $40K over MSRP depending on the market at the time. That's outrageous. Some dealers aren't marking up the trucks like this — but many are. Additionally, my dealer told me I should cancel my order if I didn't like it to free up their allotment (Ford will move your deposit spot to another dealer upon request). These shenanigans were enough for me to order a Tesla instead and hope for a Rivian in the future. When I ordered the Tesla, I knew exactly what I was getting and how much it was going to cost.