Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you trust basic Autopilot?

How much do you trust basic Autopilot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... she takes comfort in the fact that there is a bit of redundancy (autopilot and human oversight) and she loves that I can set the speed limit and just let the car do its thing.
This! It's not that autopilot is driving *for* me, it's that autopilot provides 360° coverage to my driving experience.

And good god I'm glad your family is okay after an accident like that!? Great to hear Model 3 has your wife relatively comfortable driving again.

I have two kids and do use Autopilot with them in the car. It definitely has some quirks and you have to be ready to take over. But in some aspects it’s a better driver than a human. For example, it’s better in stop and go highway driving because it’s always paying attention and can’t get surprised by traffic unexpectedly coming to a halt. It doesn't drift out of its lane because it’s tired or distracted. Etc.

I have two kids and do use Autopilot with them in the car. It definitely has some quirks and you have to be ready to take over. But in some aspects it’s a better driver than a human. For example, it’s better in stop and go highway driving because it’s always paying attention and can’t get surprised by traffic unexpectedly coming to a halt. It doesn't drift out of its lane because it’s tired or distracted. Etc.
Agreed.

and then the quirks are you referring to only happens when the lanes are missing or on a merge or exit similar to a lane split. They are generally well understood and can easily be avoided - be attentive and use common sense, and those quirks shouldn't bother you much.

Reactions: bwilson4web
Autopilot is great, but only since i updated to 19.16.3.2. Before that (4 days ago) i had 19.8.4 and phantom breaking was scaring the hell out of me, making my autopilot experience a rather tense instead of relaxed one. I love how autopilot takes the tension away of stop and go trafic, and how it makes me worry less about being behind a slower vehicle on the highway (hi there mr truck, please let me draft a little longer).
I am however still scared of NOAp. Its still not trained enough on Belgian Highways. Sometimes it impresses you, and the next minute it tries to merge into an on-ramp... how about no?

Comfortable, with kids. Always keep hand draped through the wheel and eyes looking straight/around at other cars as if I were driving. Will allow myself to change music etc. without freaking out quite so much though.
And our I-Pace and my daughter's 2018 Nissan Rogue work just as well in the driving situations you've described... minus the Elon hype and beta B.S., of course.
LOL, ok sure. Objectively dumb comment but you do you. Shouldn't you leave this forum then? Plenty of places in the world to troll.