Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you have to reboot the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once a week. New one yesterday I had not seen before. I backed out of the garage, and the homelink menu appeared. But the entire touchscreen was unresponsive. Reboot, and OK. My usual reason for reboot is lost wifi that won't reconnect. Second most common is map display freezes.

Once a week. New one yesterday I had not seen before. I backed out of the garage, and the homelink menu appeared. But the entire touchscreen was unresponsive. Reboot, and OK. My usual reason for reboot is lost wifi that won't reconnect. Second most common is map display freezes.

Same for me, about once a week. No homelink & no touchscreen, reboot & OK.

I had the same problem, then it went to 11... apparently the Tesla service has never encountered my problem before. I rebooted after it got stuck, then my bluetooth didnt work. I rebooted again, and the screen decided to go dark and stop working altogether. That was bad enough, but now my heat is continually running, along with the heated seats and steering wheel. Because of the snow storm, it may be 36 hours before anyone can diagnose my car in person... that can't be good for the car. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a super-secret reset button? Am I screwed?

I had the same problem, then it went to 11... apparently the Tesla service has never encountered my problem before. I rebooted after it got stuck, then my bluetooth didnt work. I rebooted again, and the screen decided to go dark and stop working altogether. That was bad enough, but now my heat is continually running, along with the heated seats and steering wheel. Because of the snow storm, it may be 36 hours before anyone can diagnose my car in person... that can't be good for the car. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a super-secret reset button? Am I screwed?
You can power-off the whole car.
I think it's on the last page of settings.

So, just when my display issues seemed to have ironed themselves out, the media player got buggy again. Plays 90 sec of a song off of the USB, stops, repeats. This time I think I can blame the 17.9.3 software update. It happened a day after I downloaded it. Reboot, everything seems fine, we'll see. If this keeps up, I'm thinking of starting a log book and calling the SC. I've been holding off waiting for Godot to deliver the 8.1 holy grail; because I suspect that roll out will generate all sorts of new fun glitches, but it might just ECT my screen into behaving.

Got in my 4 month old MS 75D this am and car was slow to power on and touchscreen was black. (I had opened back door first to slide some stuff in). got out and tried to get car to restart - no luck, still black. Although car came on I did not want to drive without screen and ended up taking Prius to meeting. Spouse texted and said it worked fine for him 30 min later, and for myself when I got home later.
Why/how would it do this? How does one do the reboot frequently mentioned?

WOW - most of you are very lucky. I have to reboot every two to three days. Normally the Drive screen will just be blanked out when I get in the car., and sometimes the display is there, but it is locked up. Hmmm .. Tesla doesn't seem to be interested in it. When I called they said wait till the next update comes out. I have had two updates since then and the problem hasn't changed. I had taken it to a service center, and they could not fix it by hooking up a laptop, but I could tell the mechanic had an idea what was wrong. He told me I could leave and he would call me later. He did call later and said he was sending a patch to my car. What I got was actually the next update. Didn't make any difference. The service center is an hour from me, so if I drop the car off it is difficult to arrange someone to follow me out and bring me back and then do it again when the car is ready. I try to get as much information as I can to help them troubleshoot before I schedule so it can be fixed the first time. I have been trying to schedule something now, but the service center isn't even answering their phone today.

I have started having about a 1 in 3 chance of getting the "touchscreen unresponsive... Please hold down both scroll wheels" message every time I get into the car in the morning or on leaving work. It may only be when it's been sitting a long time. Rebooting the touchscreen unfreezes it until the next time. I haven't escalated this to Service yet.

When I first got it, once a month, and that was probably twice as often as needed.

Now, twice a week, and that's probably half as much as I need it.

I've had it 3.5 months.

I suspect software going downhill, or crud in the computer (excess logs or other software rot?).

I reboot automatically after every OTA upgrade.
No needs otherwise.
I have never done this. Is the fact I've never done this contributed to my problems? I came from a Linux background, so never got used to the Microsoft-Apple mentality of booting often. I only do if I have to. Obviously, ever since Microsoft devs and spies (NSA, NSSR & Nhina) have gotten their dirty hands into Linux, it has gone seriously downhill, but it never got as bad as Microsoft's constant crashes.
Why/how would it do this? How does one do the reboot frequently mentioned?
Press and hold both scroll wheels simultaneously and hold for many many seconds. I'm not precise on more details. I let go after the touch screen goes dark sometime.

Also, just learned: similarly simultaneously press and hold two buttons above both scroll wheels to reboot display forward of the steering wheel. I've only done this once.

"Why" is kind of the mystery.
Mine freezes about every 1000 miles. Only reboot helps. Never happened before the 8.0 update. Hopefully with the 8.1 it will go away.
This suggests too much legacy code rot in the Tesla software (possibly even kernel problems). They should do a top to bottom audit, including security, bloat, repetitive code that could be commonized and better debugged by more coders, rewriting anything that is badly written (regardless of who or why), anything else that comes up, bugs, inefficiencies, bad designs, inflexibilities, bad programming, compatibility errors, omissions to old API usage that used to work but was messed up in new changes, bugs that only manifest in new code path timings, bad logic, bad hardware failure resiliency and adaptability, etc. They need to do that anyway. Maybe they're "too busy on Model 3", still, but if that's their "excuse" now, they'll never "find time" to properly manage their software ever.

Last edited:
I almost never had to reboot my 16month old 70D... until recently.

Now I seem to get the error message on the dash "Touchscreen unresponsive..." which tells me to then reboot, almost every day... I believe it happens any time the car goes to sleep, especially if I don't drive the car for a day and don't check the car via remote app while it's parked.

Here's what's different from the previous year+ ... I'm currently on 8.0 (17.6.15). Until earlier this month, I had been running Visible Tesla 24/7 on my home computer. This means my car was periodically being polled by VT and thus probably never went into deep sleep. (I have Energy Saving = ON, and Always Connected = ON, btw). So for most of the first year+, I maybe encountered that "Touchscreen Unresponsive" message only once or at most twice in all that time.

Then earlier this month, I decided to stop running Visible Tesla, as a test to see the difference in vampire drain, if the car's not polled continuously and can go to sleep (Answer: yes, keeping the car away all the time with VT running 24/7 does increase vampire drain)

ever since I stopped running VT, now if I leave the car for a long while or don't drive for a day, when I get back in the car I often get the message and have to reboot the screen. Can't say for sure if any sw version prior to 17.6.5 would have behaved this way, since I've been using VT for so long prior. I guess I'll try turning VT back on and see if the reboot message goes away again...

BTW, I was in for service a couple months ago and while talking to the service advisor about general things, he mentioned to me it's recommended to reboot the screen every week or so, as a preventative measure to keep things running well.

• Informative
Reactions: Elric2176