Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How safe is the deposit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about putting down a deposit on a Model 3, but I am a little worried about the safety of the money. If there is a stock market crash or another financial crisis there might be a lot of people trying to get deposits back (potentially $600 million) at a time when Tesla might find it difficult to raise cash. Are the deposits in some kind of escrow account, or is there a way to get comfortable that the money will come back?

From the Model 3 reservation agreement:

4. Acknowledgements; Non-Transferable You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately or in an escrow or trust fund or pay any interest on your Reservation Payment.

Yes, if Tesla goes bankrupt before delivering the Model 3, you could lose your money. Up to you to decide how likely that is and figure out your tolerable level of risk.

The old adage, "Don't gamble what you're not prepared to lose!" certainly applies. If the deposit had been $5000 I wouldn't have done it, plenty of others might have but not me. You just need to decide for yourself what amount you could write off with only being somewhat peeved and disappointed.

For what it's worth, I consider the risk far less than I did 15 months ago, and I didn't think it was too risky back then.

Reactions: N5329K and Stirfelt
The car looks fine, but I saw the company is only rated B- by S&P. That's pretty low!
The money is safe. I had a M3 first day reservation and canceled it after I bought MX, it took 1 week for the money to refund to your account. Also, you don't need to worry about the stock ratings. if you invested $1000 last Christmas you will have $2000 on your broker account right now.

The car looks fine, but I saw the company is only rated B- by S&P. That's pretty low!
look at it this way... trading of S&P500 Index is up 8% in the last six months. $TSLA is up 70% in the same six months.
Likely the only reasoning for the not perfect rating is Tesla is growing - hence spending everything they bring in plus some. So to an analysis, this may look like a bad move. If you expect a company to grow and expand, there will be a number of years where there is more spending. I am 100% sure Tesla will not be the next auto company to die.

What does wanting your money to be held securely have to do with being able to afford the car..there are people who have money and don't treat it frivolously

The point of the deposit it to allow Tesla to use the money for R&D costs before the car is available in exchange for an earlier opportunity to order the car. If you want your money to be held securely, keep it in your bank account until orders can be placed without a reservation.