Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Satisfied Are You With Autopilot?

How Satisfied Are You With Autopilot?

• Very Unsatisfied

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 16 6.4%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 80 32.1%
  • Very Satisfied

Votes: 127 51.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most ridiculous statement

I agree, Tesla's Autopilot should not be used on secondary highways. It's obvious from "Tesla tried to kill me" video that user interface is not fast enough to handle winding roads - with no shoulder or median - at high speeds.

Folks, you cant fix stupid...so dont try to make Tesla take away awesome new features if some people are too stupid to use them in a reasonable way...this couls easily parallel the gun control argument. If you think auto pilot tried to kill you you need to turn the feature off and go away...stop pissing on the parade.

Possibly off-topic question from a non-AP owner: Is AP smart enough to slow down in curves that are too sharp for the current speed?

A Model S should be able to handle the posted speed limit on at turn, and probably exceed it by 1.5x or higher. The speed limit is designed so that your grandma in a car from the 1950's could make that turn, and THEN the local geriatrics and paranoid parents lobbied to reduce the posted speed limit even lower than that.

A Model S should be able to handle the posted speed limit on at turn, and probably exceed it by 1.5x or higher. The speed limit is designed so that your grandma in a car from the 1950's could make that turn, and THEN the local geriatrics and paranoid parents lobbied to reduce the posted speed limit even lower than that.

Mostly true, but the speed limit is also designed to withstand minor forms of inclement weather (not talking about hurricanes or snow storms)

I'm mostly satisfied due, in large part, to the revolutionary facet of the update. My only gripe is that I can't figure out how to increase the speed, after its initially set, without using the accelerator pedal. Everything else is pretty forgivable within the context of: (1) the disclaimers/instructions from Tesla; and (2) the fact the update is still in Beta.

Thank you, Tesla, for introducing the future - today!

I'm mostly satisfied due, in large part, to the revolutionary facet of the update. My only gripe is that I can't figure out how to increase the speed, after its initially set, without using the accelerator pedal. Everything else is pretty forgivable within the context of: (1) the disclaimers/instructions from Tesla; and (2) the fact the update is still in Beta.

Thank you, Tesla, for introducing the future - today!

Flick the TACC stalk up (as if you're using it as a turn signal). Slight click up is +1mph, hard click up locks you into the next 5mph increment

i.e.
TACC 64mph -- slight up = 65mph
TACC 64mph -- hard up = 65mph

TACC 61mph -- slight up = 62mph
TACC 61mph -- hard up = 65mph

Hard turn @ 2:57 mark:

reddit has other videos proving its still in beta(Elong emphasized this) and people should not expect way too much and be careful.
All I see here is the car making what looks to be a slight but sudden centering correction to the right while entering a gradual left turn, causing the meat servo to violently overcorrect to the left. Gentle inputs, people... gentle inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will be very important this auto-pilot system continue to learn the specific roads we drive everyday, to work, and go home; learn how we drive and react for those particular roads.
These will be the situation we use auto-pilot most often.
For other roads we don't drive so often, at current technology, pay attention to drive by ourselves with assistance of the system to avoid accident.

this autopilot system has a lot of "eyes", but it's brain and driving experience is like newbie.
Well-said!

Flick the TACC stalk up (as if you're using it as a turn signal). Slight click up is +1mph, hard click up locks you into the next 5mph increment

i.e.

First, thank you. Second, when using autopilot is there a max speed (as opposed to a Max* speed)?

i.e.

So, some of us, it looks like, are already very familiar with TACC, and some have never used it before, if the above tutorial asked for by a member is still needed.

Perhaps another poll could ask: Are you satisfied that AP is what you expected it to be?

I have used TACC for several years now on MBZ and know that it's far from perfect. But I love it on long drives and even in the 'stop 'n go' traffic on the 5. I hate the lane assist on the MBZ and had it turned off for that reason. It can be very scary to veer out of your lane due to an object or another car coming from the other side, only to have lane assist jerk and rumble you back into said lane.

Therefore, when I first tried AP on the Tesla, I was VERY IMPRESSED and overall VERY SATISFIED. It does more than I expected it to be able to do. Is it AUTONOMOUS? No. But it is not meant to be. However, I believe it does more than any other out there can at the moment and we have been entrusted with it in Beta! Beta, people!

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands on, or at least very near, the wheel. We do not need accidents to prove Tesla jumped the gun with this and let us all fly a little too close to the sun!

Drive safely!