Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How satisfied are you with the non-AP (Classic) V7.0

How satisfied are you with the Non-AP (Classic) v7.0

• Very Unsatisfied

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 35 14.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 95 38.6%
  • Very Satisfied

Votes: 48 19.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[/LIST]

Can you explain what you mean by this? I haven't upgraded.

On the 17" display, if you are not using Auto for ALL options (fresh/recirc, ac on/off, vent position, and fan speed), v6.2 showed you the options you were using by highlighting 0-4 blades of the fan icon, the air source "circle", etc. v7 will only show "Custom" with no logos. You have to click to get the pop up where you can change the settings in order to see what they are set to.

[/LIST]

Can you explain what you mean by this? I haven't upgraded.
On the 17" display, if you are not using Auto for ALL options (fresh/recirc, ac on/off, vent position, and fan speed), v6.2 showed you the options you were using by highlighting 0-4 blades of the fan icon, the air source "circle", etc. v7 will only show "Custom" with no logos. You have to click to get the pop up where you can change the settings in order to see what they are set to.
Indeed that's exactly what I meant. I realize now the wording was pretty poor. I updated my post so no one else alarmed. It's not that the status isn't visible at all, just that it's not easily visible. You need to take some action to see it.

I voted satisfied. My initial opinions on the UI I posted here.

The TL: DR version is:

17 inch screen is much improved. Way faster and less lag. Makes much better use of space by eliminating the function-less, faux-chrome borders. New graphics are sharp, easy to read, and look better in person than in screenshots/pictures.

Instrument cluster is a mixed bag. Reorganization is questionable (re: odometer and battery bar should be swapped). Miss the temp and time. The changes are small, and nothing critical, just little annoyances -- but it's disappointing to have little annoyances introduced that weren't there before.

EDIT: To earn "very satisfied" all Tesla would need to do is bring the Temperature and Time readouts back to the IC, and enlarge the battery bar/remaining range and swap it with the odometer.

Other worthwhile changes: The AC works much better, can set it to a realistic temp and it will get cold quickly. Changed the mapping of the accelerator pedal to make it both more responsive, and smoother at low speeds (no more clunk/gear lash in my car). 17 inch screen is faster and more responsive.

Last edited:
Kudos to Tesla for continuing to update our "classic" Model S.

Most changes are fine with me. I do wish that the dashboard had a 100% 3D look. The flat look does nothing for me where 3D is more classy.

I miss the day and time info on the dashboard. Sometimes while driving in the sun, the digital time is had to see way over on the right of the 17".

The new clock app should be bolder. The small "font" of the clock just lets it fad into the backround.

I would like to see bolder numbers on the mph and wph speedometer. Also, swapping battery usage and odometer would be fine with me.

Today is my 13 month anniversary!

What a difference a day makes. I'm already getting used to it and I like it much better today than yesterday. I think the clock was kind of meant to match the new Trip Screen and it does. So I guess I see what they were going for now. It's certainly a clean uncluttered look. Not minding it as much today. :)

I like the new Nav display on the IC - I did notice that for some instructions it shows the new format, what turn and which lanes etc. - but it also often showed the older turn version where it showed a picture of the freeway with buildings, trees, clouds etc. and the road signs to look for. Somehow that seemed incongruous compared to the newer styles.

It seems there is still a lot of UI 'sorting' to be done for V7.1

I like the new Nav display on the IC - I did notice that for some instructions it shows the new format, what turn and which lanes etc. - but it also often showed the older turn version where it showed a picture of the freeway with buildings, trees, clouds etc. and the road signs to look for. Somehow that seemed incongruous compared to the newer styles.

Supposedly there will be "many" UI enhancements in V7.1. So we'll see....

That's actually a specific Navigon feature and Tesla continues to reuse their assets (there are a TON of options, and it would be a lot of work to regenerate them all). In it's tray/box it doesn't look quite as tacked-on as it did before, but it still doesn't look great. You may recall that those images weren't wide enough to cover the whole map in OSes up through V6, and you could still see little chunks of the map rotating in the corners behind the image. I'd rather they just ditch that feature all-together, but perhaps it's not possible with their agreement with Garmin.

And "auto" no longer displays in blue when you are actually in auto. so that plus missing temp/clock and the battery indicator not being more prominent are probably my biggest complaints.

Rushing to a meeting today, it took me a solid ten seconds of staring at the screen in front of me to figure out why I didn't yet know what time it was.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday.

I would not count on 7.1 to address all the complaints here.

7.0 is a major departure, and companies don't just release a major UI departure in a major-number release, and then pull another major departure away from that in the subsequent dot-release. I severely doubt the silly/stupid/annoying/blasted mini-car in the dash display is going to go away any time soon.

Me, I'm still stickin' with 6.2.

I would not count on 7.1 to address all the complaints here.

7.0 is a major departure, and companies don't just release a major UI departure in a major-number release, and then pull another major departure away from that in the subsequent dot-release. I severely doubt the silly/stupid/annoying/blasted mini-car in the dash display is going to go away any time soon.

Me, I'm still stickin' with 6.2.
Usually that's true, but Elon said most of the UI changes would come in 7.1

- - - Updated - - -

Rushing to a meeting today, it took me a solid ten seconds of staring at the screen in front of me to figure out why I didn't yet know what time it was.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday.

Same here, I didn't realize how often I glanced at the time until I found myself looking at the PRND frequently the past few days. As I noted in the other thread on classic Model S UI, it requires too much eye movement to see the battery and the time. One is on the lower left of the dashboard and the other is on the upper right of the 17" screen, as far apart as you can get. I used to see both in a quick glance downward.

1/ turn signal indicators should be higher on display
2/ not about UI, or non AP, but sad that moving to a 7.0 does not have any real new functionality
a/ where are new apps for the main display
b/ why are there no new audio providers, still after a couple years only tunedin and slacker...... no spotify? pandora?

No new functionality, just a major re-design of the UI look & feel. And the new design is going backwards IMHO. What they call "modern" look is actually a 1980's computer graphics style with flat line drawings, no shading or 3d effects. This has become the new "norm" unfortunately, due to all the script kiddies who took over programming jobs but never learned to program in an actual programming language, so they just use interpreted scripting languages that provide 100x slower performance on the same hardware, therefore they need to use "light" graphics. Where "light" should be translated as cheap, low quality, easily scriptable. Gone are the days of manually optimized bit operations to get the maximum performance out of a hardware...

A lot of information previously visible is now missing or hidden, requires interaction to access instead of just a glance.
Very bad direction...

Sorry if this has already been addressed. For newer cars (Mine is a 70 RWD) with the AP hardware, that don't have the AP software upgrade - Do we still keep the original speedometer? I've resisted upgrading as I don't want to lose the speedometer with energy usage and regen indicators.

This is a perfect example of how Tesla doesn't think. If you are parked and press the silver button on the parking stalk after the doors lock, they will present. The logical person would think that pressing it again would lock the doors, but nope! We have a button toggle to unlock the doors on the stalk, but to re-lock them you have to touch the lock icon on the 17" screen. Completely, utterly stupid and backward. Just make the stalk button toggle between lock/unlock states and it's done! And it's all close by - no need to stretch to touch an icon on the 17" display.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone programming the UI at Tesla has any common sense, or has even used the car.
That's a great idea!

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree. Please send suggestions in to Tesla as I think that's the best way to encourage them to fix these things.
My suggestion to Tesla:

1. Remove the toy car and odometer from the center dials.

2. Add the toy car and all associated feedback to the "car status" app which can be displayed on the side panels of the IC if desired.

3. Put the odo where the range indicator currently resides (and closer to where it was originally).

4. Relocate the range indicator front and center where we just created a void by moving the car icon and odo.

Thoughts?

I installed the updated over the weekend and like it (I have 2013 P85+ without AP). The speedo isnt that much different and I prefer knowing that the brake lights are on during regen braking and the other visual indicators around the car like a door open or the headlights being on. Ive read some posts about people having trouble with the location of the battery and miles and PRND indicators being too low but I have no issues seeing the whole screen. I have the clock with temperature on the left and the new trip stats on the right and its the perfect layout for me. The clock could have a cooler design but it gets the job done. As an IT/Software guy I know how changes like this go and you simply cant please everyone regardless of how hard you try. With the changes to AP being rolled out the UI had to change a bit but I dont see it as that drastic like many are commenting on. The speedo is still big with the energy used (yellow) and regen braking (green) indicators and in the center you can now see everything going on around the car and the existing apps on the left and right side of the screen are still there. Seems like a logical way to approach things.