Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How soon will any Tesla drive itself, level 5?

How soon will a tesla be available for purchase that will drive itself, level 5?

• within one year.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • one to two years.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • two to five years.

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • more than five years.

Votes: 41 43.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You want to work while driving, that happened long ago with Autopilot. FSD is a ways off, but guaranteed at purchase.

Wifey and I travel about 50 miles to her doctor every Wed. Once in the carpool lane the drive is bumper to bumper up to 80 mph and down to full stops, no lane changes. I get out the laptop for an hour after setting the "laptop" as driver to re-position seat, steering and mirrors. I still don't have 100% trust although Nicki has never failed me so not as productive as at the office.
You don't need 100% level 5 to work while driving, just 100% autonomous driving some of the time.
<speechless>

Reactions: cwerdna
You want to work while driving, that happened long ago with Autopilot. FSD is a ways off, but guaranteed at purchase.

Wifey and I travel about 50 miles to her doctor every Wed. Once in the carpool lane the drive is bumper to bumper up to 80 mph and down to full stops, no lane changes. I get out the laptop for an hour after setting the "laptop" as driver to re-position seat, steering and mirrors. I still don't have 100% trust although Nicki has never failed me so not as productive as at the office.
You don't need 100% level 5 to work while driving, just 100% autonomous driving some of the time.
Ummmm... to each their own I guess. IMHO, it's not Nicki who is most likely to fail, it's the thousands of others on the road who could cause an unhappy incident through incompetence or distractedness. The costs to recover (i.e., repair) would be the same, and they would be too high for me, personally, to risk. Perhaps it's lucky I don't have the choice given my old, slow, blind, one-legged (RWD) car.

Judging by how poor the AP performance was in the snowy weather yesterday evening, we are a very very very long way off from full self drive, let alone in all road and weather conditions. When it snows, the radar and ultrasonics get blocked and the AP system refuses to work. So, with all the camera heating they claim to have, radar and ultrasonic heating is also necessary it seems

Never.

I expect the Tesla brand will be absorbed by a profitable company years before they offer Waymo or another supplier's autonomous capability. There are already signs they will return to the Mobileye IP via a "partnership" with Intel. The guy at the craft beer store and I also have such a partnership. I pay him. He gives me a product.

This entire disaster was a giant, unforced error that has been painful to watch, and impossible to defend. Polls like this made sense in November 2016. We didn't know about the outright fraud back then. These days, not so much...

Reactions: caligula666
Ummmm... to each their own I guess. IMHO, it's not Nicki who is most likely to fail, it's the thousands of others on the road who could cause an unhappy incident through incompetence or distractedness. The costs to recover (i.e., repair) would be the same, and they would be too high for me, personally, to risk. Perhaps it's lucky I don't have the choice given my old, slow, blind, one-legged (RWD) car.
The carpool lane is miles of double white lines (no merging except at designated places which I usually monitor), speed up, slow down is all that is needed and Nicky is extremely reliable at that. For all intents and purposes there are three drivers on the road. Nicki, one in front, one in back.