Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How the heck can I get Spotify to stop trying to play music on my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
So I'm digging Spotify other than some really annoying problems.

Chief among them, if I play music in Spotify apps on my phone or Mac it seems that if I was previously listening in my Model 3, Spotify assumes I want to listen on my car.

I have no idea why it's doing this.

Is there a way to fix it?

It's really annoying and I assume when it's doing this it is actually waking my car up from sleep and having it play music even though there is nobody in it.

Reactions: silenteski
This drove me crazy for a while. The reason it does it is you don’t have the multi device/ family plan and it making sure only one device is playing from that account at any given time. At the same time as a perk/side affect it’s trying to give you a “seamless” experience so if you were listening on ear pods and get in the car it automatically picks up where it’s stopped in the ear pods to the car. And when you leave the car it will switch back to the pods.

I think it gets annoying that you might have been listening on the phone 2 days ago but when you get in the car it does seamless transition again (even though you were not just listening to it) and starts up.

I just got used to it having a bit of a mind if it’s own.

For some reason my car loves to play Market Place on NPR every time I get in the car even though I never deliberately selected in the car, ever. It’s just one if my favorites I saved years ago in TuneIn radio. And it plays the most recent episode too not, not the last one I stopped it at.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
This drove me crazy for a while. The reason it does it is you don’t have the multi device/ family plan and it making sure only one device is playing from that account at any given time. At the same time as a perk/side affect it’s trying to give you a “seamless” experience so if you were listening on ear pods and get in the car it automatically picks up where it’s stopped in the ear pods to the car. And when you leave the car it will switch back to the pods.

I think it gets annoying that you might have been listening on the phone 2 days ago but when you get in the car it does seamless transition again (even though you were not just listening to it) and starts up.

I just got used to it having a bit of a mind if it’s own.

For some reason my car loves to play Market Place on NPR every time I get in the car even though I never deliberately selected in the car, ever. It’s just one if my favorites I saved years ago in TuneIn radio. And it plays the most recent episode too not, not the last one I stopped it at.

Okay this kind of makes sense. However the Spotify application needs to be intelligent enough to understand that if the device is an automobile and I'm not currently connected to it then it shouldn't be attempting to play back on it at all.

Okay this kind of makes sense. However the Spotify application needs to be intelligent enough to understand that if the device is an automobile and I'm not currently connected to it then it shouldn't be attempting to play back on it at all.

Yes it gets very confusing for the user. Not sure sometimes if it’s doing what it should and it has me confused.

I think you can push the listening session to any device any time. And sometimes it prompts in your face to push it to the car.

I’m sure some this is triggered by the phone connecting to Bluetooth in the car.

Created a dedicated Spotify account just for the car, solved all the problems, if you have a family plan and have a seperate email Spotify in your car will be much better

Yeah but I don’t want to pay for the family plan level. And the only reason I installed the app on the phone was it’s hard to setup your library of artists, albums, playlists from the car app. More richer and easier on the phone.

@voip-ninja - paying $2K for the performance boost MAY fix this issue. Probably not but just throwing it out there!

I don't see a work around either and it annoys the hell out of me. Family plan with different accounts for car devices might be worth the loss of aggravation.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
Created a dedicated Spotify account just for the car, solved all the problems, if you have a family plan and have a seperate email Spotify in your car will be much better

Defeats the point of having Spotify. I improve my daily playlists by rating music I like and I like to listen to those playlists both on my phone and in the car and even on my Mac. Having a separate car account fixes the connectivity annoyances but breaks everything else, not to mention spending extra money on a family plan I have no other use for.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Defeats the point of having Spotify. I improve my daily playlists by rating music I like and I like to listen to those playlists both on my phone and in the car and even on my Mac. Having a separate car account fixes the connectivity annoyances but breaks everything else, not to mention spending extra money on a family plan I have no other use for.

You could log out of your car when not driving which would also get old quickly.

The right answer is for Spotify to be smarter about not using the car source unless someone pushes a “button” in the car.

Until then I think it’s pick your poison. :(

This is an annoying issue for sure, but I’m anticipating Tesla will fix it in a future software update. It’s definitely an issue on Tesla’s side. It’s not present with any other platform on which I’ve used my Spotify account: mac, pc, playstation, android, iOS.

My guess is that the vehicle fails to explicitly stop playback once you exit. Hopefully an easy fix.

Reactions: malou
Lol, having a family means this method now works better since the seperate car account is a mix of what the whole family likes that leaves my phone and work laptop to just the things I like. No more Descendents or frozen songs in my daily mix.