Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to convince my wife to get a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a green choice in Mini-Vans, the Pacifica Plug-In. She wakes up each morning with 33 miles of EV range but can go indefinite distances while sipping gas at a rate of 32 mpg Combined EPA economy vs the Honda Odyssey at 22 mpg combined.
Compare Side-by-Side

Why would she prefer a PHEV?

Fewer visits to the gas station, or for some folk, virtually none. Instant acceleration compared to the Honda. Always have 'gas' available in the morning. No warmup. You can leave it 'on' without the engine running or preheat it without the engine running via your phone. Lower center of gravity adds stability in winds. Lower cost per mile. Less gas on her hands. No need to find remote charging locations like a BEV can require. Or she can get preferred parking or add some EV miles in areas that support it. Some states get HOV stickers for single driver HOV access. And Federal (sometimes state) Tax Credit of $7500.

She should at least try the Pacifica before buying something with 22mpg

Reactions: Lem89 and Dp7-81
I have told her all those things. I think one of her biggest hang ups is winter driving and the closest service center for me is Eden Prairie MN. I explained to her about the traction control being remarkable and that there are people in other countries who have crazy winters and only have RWD Tesla vehicles.
I think the proximity of a service center could be a big deal. I don't have kids, but obviously a family with kids is often short on spare time, so having to trek out to a service center (for issues the Tesla Mobile Service can't handle) could be a consideration in terms of time required.

I don't understand the concern about traction. If you were to get a Model3, would you get single or dual motors? Even with a single, a comparison against a minivan is not a blowout.

I think the proximity of a service center could be a big deal. I don't have kids, but obviously a family with kids is often short on spare time, so having to trek out to a service center (for issues the Tesla Mobile Service can't handle) could be a consideration in terms of time required.

I don't understand the concern about traction. If you were to get a Model3, would you get single or dual motors? Even with a single, a comparison against a minivan is not a blowout.
We'd go with AWD most likely, but she does know that the other option is RWD. I'm not too sure on her concern about winter driving myself. Lol

There is a green choice in Mini-Vans, the Pacifica Plug-In. She wakes up each morning with 33 miles of EV range but can go indefinite distances while sipping gas at a rate of 32 mpg Combined EPA economy vs the Honda Odyssey at 22 mpg combined.
Compare Side-by-Side

Why would she prefer a PHEV?

Fewer visits to the gas station, or for some folk, virtually none. Instant acceleration compared to the Honda. Always have 'gas' available in the morning. No warmup. You can leave it 'on' without the engine running or preheat it without the engine running via your phone. Lower center of gravity adds stability in winds. Lower cost per mile. Less gas on her hands. No need to find remote charging locations like a BEV can require. Or she can get preferred parking or add some EV miles in areas that support it. Some states get HOV stickers for single driver HOV access. And Federal (sometimes state) Tax Credit of $7500.

She should at least try the Pacifica before buying something with 22mpg
That's interesting. Didn't know they had PHEV Pacifica.

That's interesting. Didn't know they had PHEV Pacifica.
Disclaimer, I have not driven one. It is the first (and only) plugin minivan and apparently uses the proven Voltec technology.
Reviews have been good, but I'm not sure of availability. It sounds like a winner for those with small kids.

Chrysler Pacifica - Car and Driver

When our kids were little we used minivans. There is always a best tool for the job, and no matter how geeky a minivan is, it is the King of Kidmobiles. Nothing else is as easy to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: garsh and PJFW8
Disclaimer, I have not driven one. It is the first (and only) plugin minivan and apparently uses the proven Voltec technology.
Reviews have been good, but I'm not sure of availability. It sounds like a winner for those with small kids.

Chrysler Pacifica - Car and Driver
As an owner of two PHEVs, I hate it when the gas engine kicks in. They are the reason I ordered a model 3. The Pacifica is a great way to introduce your wife to an EV's benefits. When I was the father of a small child I really appreciated the minivan. Definitely check out the Pacifica. This sounds like a great transition

Reactions: Dp7-81
Are you thinking of using the Model 3 as your main people transporter? If so then I would say no. I don't think it's big enough and I think trying to super charge multiple times on a long road trip with two small kids will drive anyone insane.

Basically I think you need a bigger car given your family situation. The Model 3 is more like a BMW 3 series, more of a fun car instead of a people transporter.

Are you thinking of using the Model 3 as your main people transporter? If so then I would say no. I don't think it's big enough and I think trying to super charge multiple times on a long road trip with two small kids will drive anyone insane.

Basically I think you need a bigger car given your family situation. The Model 3 is more like a BMW 3 series, more of a fun car instead of a people transporter.
The car would be secondary to our newer Equinox.

"It's hard to not want to make the Model 3 our next purchase when it's a Tesla finally in our price range."

The only thing I will say is that because it's in your price range doesn't mean that this is the more appropriate car for your situation. I have never driven a minivan before but if this is what worked for you up until now, conceptually an M3 "feels" a little small. I went from a midsize SUV to a MS and it took me a while to get used to the low roof line when strapping a kid in his seats...I am good with it now, the wife? not so much...

YMMV.

My wife is interested in the Pacifica PHEV. So thank you McRat. My wife finally admitted that her biggest hang up with the Tesla is the distance from the nearest service center. I know when the time comes that we'll make the right decision. Now I have an "electric" option for a van. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. Had I not created it I may have never found out about the Pacifica. I know a Tesla is in my future. Just might not be my next vehicle.

Reactions: hmmm and PJFW8
and I think trying to super charge multiple times on a long road trip with two small kids will drive anyone insane.
While I agree with the rest of your post, I do not agree in this. It's not like that the hole family will have to stay in the car the hole time it's charging, like you may do when filling an ICE car. You park, plug in, take the family out of the car. Kids may move around, and thereby reducing the stress of a long trip, smaller kids may get changing diapers, older may get into the restroom and everybody can get some food. Don't see it as a stress factor but a required break that can easy up the trip. As I see it there will be less of a problem with small kids on a long trip with superchargers then in an ICE car.

But yes, if the need of the family is to get a new and bigger people transporter Model 3 may not be the right answer yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: BluestarE3
My wife is interested in the Pacifica PHEV. So thank you McRat. My wife finally admitted that her biggest hang up with the Tesla is the distance from the nearest service center. I know when the time comes that we'll make the right decision. Now I have an "electric" option for a van. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. Had I not created it I may have never found out about the Pacifica. I know a Tesla is in my future. Just might not be my next vehicle.

If I had little ones today, I'd certainly look into the Pacifica. We had 2 minivans when the kids were little, both with entertainment systems. It was so easy to load and unload kids, and the VCR (then DVD) player was a great pacifier. CUV's and SUV's are far more in fashion, but the practicality of the minivan is hard to beat.

Cool. What we did in our house (2 kids, similar ages to yours) was get a Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV for our bigger/road-trip vehicle, and replaced our smaller car (Prius) with a Nissan Leaf. This gets us to the point where the majority of our combined miles are on electric, while still maintaining the capability to road trip easily and carry 7 people around in one vehicle when needed. We were previously on the list for the X but at the time couldn't justify the cost vs the Volvo.

Having the Leaf in the family is definitely helpful for our Model 3 prospects, though. My wife is exposed to the benefits of an EV, but the 3 will be faster, double the range (at least), AWD, and much better looking.

Should be an easy sell when it gets here...