Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to force updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread feels like a school reunion - ahh the memories.

Personally I find pointing the car towards Mecca and pressing the button 5 times may or may not increase you chance of getting the update, which came as a surprise as I am pretty agnostic about such things.

I can't confirm if the same outcome is achieved by pointing you car towards Rome
I thought it was pointing to Fremont ? You live and learn

While we're on the topic, renaming your home wifi to the same as a service centre one is also a sure fire guaranteed way to waste a few hours as I've heard it being said that detecting the service centre wifi automatically triggered the download.

(I hope this thread is now seen as light banter rather than calls to be turned into a Wiki post)

I accidentally just had an unreleased firmware pushed to my car by disconnecting the 12v and connecting it again whilst holding the LEFT scroll and tapping the RIGHT scroll 5 times. It helps if you have 2 people for this but I managed it on my own. DO NOT try the same with the right scroll, it will stop all future updates.

/s

I'm kinda interested in how many 'new owners' ran out to their cars to try and find a button to tap repeatedly :p

Don't forget though, that the more you check, the less likely you are to get an update...!

When I first received the car, I used to juggle the two download choice buttons every now and then between normal and advanced which oddly seemed to push an update at least twice. Not sure if it was that or just lucky.
New car excitement having worn off a little, I just wait for them now but is on advanced selection and got the 2021.12.25.7 last week.

Personally I don't really understand the desire to get the very latest update as soon as possible. Why want to be first to get the latest bugs and whatever the latest update breaks? I don't mind waiting till it's offered, at least I'll have an idea what to expect.

Personally I don't really understand the desire to get the very latest update as soon as possible. Why want to be first to get the latest bugs and whatever the latest update breaks? I don't mind waiting till it's offered, at least I'll have an idea what to expect.
Surely your strategy only works if other people do want to try out the latest software and discover the bugs so they can be fixed them before you get it?

Surely your strategy only works if other people do want to try out the latest software and discover the bugs so they can be fixed them before you get it?

Possibly, who knows. All things Tesla seem to operate in mysterious ways. Especially the windscreen wipers. :)

I've yet to get an update where I'm anywhere near the front of the queue though, so anyone furiously hitting the advanced button umpteen times or doing anything else thought to influence the update deities do please feel free to carry on.

That does actually happen sometimes. Not everyone gets every version update because Tesla spots the bugs and reissues the update in a new version. In some instances you can therefore helpfully miss a troublesome version if you get them later. Whether you have much control of that is another question! For example I am on "advanced" yet still on 2021.4.18.11 ... sometimes I get them early and sometimes I get them late ... but to be frank I'm not too bothered either way!

That does actually happen sometimes. Not everyone gets every version update because Tesla spots the bugs and reissues the update in a new version. In some instances you can therefore helpfully miss a troublesome version if you get them later. Whether you have much control of that is another question! For example I am on "advanced" yet still on 2021.4.18.11 ... sometimes I get them early and sometimes I get them late ... but to be frank I'm not too bothered either way!
Same with the maps - they started to roll one out last year then aborted. It must have been bad given the one in my car has the UK land mass still connected to mainland Europe :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: M3noob and Adopado
So I'm the conduit for this message.... dont know whether it works or not but it does in the US and figured you guys who already have their teslas in the UK could confirm:
Tap the advance button 5 times (or hold it down) forces updates.

Good luck and enjoy
Can confirm. Tapping repeatedly on the “advanced” button worked for me! Starting downloading right away

• Disagree
Reactions: ilyak
Can confirm. Tapping repeatedly on the “advanced” button worked for me! Starting downloading right away

It will do that (even if pressing once and waiting a few seconds) if your car already has an update scheduled (ie when app or car is imminently going to notify anyway), but if you don't have an update scheduled, it won't bump you up any order and does nothing. So it might give you a little head start but you would see it pretty soon in the app or TeslaFi etc (which would often notify me before I see a notification in the app).

Reactions: Irata