Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get your safety score higher

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have been battling phantom breaking issues on two lane highways, and evetime i pass a truck the car slows way down and wants me to take over. Because of this i can never get my safety score over 92. I don't drive many miles in a week to help me with this. Does anyone know if there is anything i can do to get past this? I purchased FSD but haven't been able to use most of the features.
thanks

I've heard that your safety score isn't dinged while you're on AP. While I can't be sure of that, there are times when AP puts you into a situation where you have to disengage and maneuver aggressively... and for that you may be penalized. That said, if you know of a specific weakness, just drive through those spots manually as smoothly as you can.

If you have a particularly bad event (e.g. forward collision warning), you can dump your safety score and start over by un-enrolling from the FSD beta program for a day. Then you can reactivate and start fresh. I'm presently on my second fresh start, hoping to get 100 miles with 99+, and hopefully qualify for 2022.4.5.15 if they ever start admitting new drivers into the Beta. Currently they aren't bringing in new folks... 100% of the new FSD firmware downloads on TeslaFi are coming from older FSD firmware.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
you can dump your safety score and start over by un-enrolling from the FSD beta program for a day.
That seems not to work now.

I'm on 2022.4.5.3 and after a few months of opt-out, I decided to try again. Sadly, after a few days at 99%, my wife rushed to a Dr. appointment and got us an 80 score for the day, oops. So before the day ended, I went out and added some 100% miles including a bunch of 2 second following distance and gentle braking. This got the score for the day up to 92. Still our cumulative score dropped to 96. So I opted out. But the app still show 96%, though it is no longer logging new trips.

So it appears that opting out did not reset out score. It used to, but not this time. Yet anyway.

Am I missing something?

I think that when you opt out, you have to wait for some period of time (e.g. next day) until the Safety Score disappears from the app. Then re-enroll. Perhaps you just didn't wait long enough?
pretty sure they patched this so you can't do it anymore. from what i've read if you opt out it might stop tracking your trips but it wont clear the last 30 days of history... i'm guessing if you opted out for 30 days you'd start fresh but thats conjecture.

I've had to patch up iffy safety score days a few times. The important lessons I've learned about repairing your daily score after getting dinged for something silly are:
  1. "Unsafe Following" is the least-weighted factor. You can do *maximally* bad at this one, and if you're perfect on the other factors, you still get a 99 for the day. I wouldn't even worry about fixing this one too much if all you're trying to do is 98+ and you have the other factors under control.
  2. If you get a Forward Collision Warning, the only way to reduce its impact on your daily score is to drive a ton more miles the same day without any more of them, to reduce the FCW/mile number for the day. Luckily, this is the one case where AP/NoA miles help repairing things! Charge up that battery and go run down an empty highway for a hundred miles or whatever on NoA and watch the impact melt away.
  3. If you get dinged for Hard Braking - go drive more miles (manually) and speed up and slow down constantly (preferably on an empty-ish road so as not to annoy others). As long as your slowdowns are > 0.1g (~2.2 mph/sec) but still under the 0.3g (~6.6 mph/sec) "hard braking" threshold, they'll count as non-hard braking events, and the score factor here is the ratio between hard and non-hard braking events. I do this on a nearby low-traffic highway and just ramp up and down between ~70 and ~80 mph over and over, pausing a few seconds between cycles.
  4. Aggressive Turning doesn't hurt as much as Hard Braking, but it can be a significant factor! Fixing it is very similar to hard braking - go make a bunch more turns in the appropriate g-force band (in this case, >0.2g, but < 0.4g) to water down the impact. Find a low-traffic city/neighborhood block to circle and make every corner at the right speed over and over, or something similar.

you have to wait for some period of time (e.g. next day)
It has now been over 36 hour since I opted out and I'm still seeing my score, but it is not logging new trips.

you have to wait for some period of time (e.g. next day)
This is consistent with what I am seeing.

This change and the earlier patch to the reset-computer-before-parking trick will make it much harder to qualify for FSD Beta.

By my calculation, if I opt back in and drive 150 miles of 100% my SS should go up to 97.5 which hopefully would round up to 98. That should be feasible, if somewhat nerve wracking.

Thanks, all, for your feedback.

Does anyone know if there is anything i can do to get past this? I purchased FSD but haven't been able to use most of the features.
Mia, bbtx above makes some good suggestions. But a different approach might make you happier.

First, it appears to me that when you opt in for FSD Beta, auto-pilot starts working differently. Mine started nagging me if I looked away from straight ahead, even when I was putting torque on the steering wheel. Others have reported that AP has a lower speed limit as well. So, opting out of the beta queue might let your car behave better.

Remember that FSD beta is not what you paid for, but rather an opportunity for you to give free assistance to Tesla in their development. So don't think of beta as something you deserve. It is instead something Tesla might let you give to them.

Another suggestion is to kick AP off when you pass. High speed is not penalized in the score, so if you are careful to start your pass at least one second behind the truck, and slow down gently after you pass, you should be able to pass without it hurting your score.

It is hard to know exactly what event hurts the score, especially on a long drive. But phantom breaking won't hurt if you have speed control engaged. So those forced disengagements might be your problem. Take a look at the daily details per trip to see exactly what cost you.

Still, if you just opt out and ignore the so called "safety score" , you may enjoy your car more.

SW

I
It has now been over 36 hour since I opted out and I'm still seeing my score, but it is not logging new trips.

This is consistent with what I am seeing.

This change and the earlier patch to the reset-computer-before-parking trick will make it much harder to qualify for FSD Beta.

By my calculation, if I opt back in and drive 150 miles of 100% my SS should go up to 97.5 which hopefully would round up to 98. That should be feasible, if somewhat nerve wracking.

Thanks, all, for your feedback.
i drive that daily. It’s not hard....
50592A94-DBA9-46BB-977B-F998139C7D5F.jpeg

I'm running into this a lot. Tons of forward collision warnings just from using AP it's ****ing bullshit. I am going to have to leave their insurance since they only assume their car is perfect even though it's doing all the issues LOL.

How can I let them know their system is stupid? I might just call their CS.

Here's the deal. Essentially the safety score boils down to ratios, bad driving divided by total driving.

People read the description of the calculation on the Tesla web site and notice that nothing counts against you when Autopilot is engaged (except autopilot disengagement), so they turn on Autopilot and expect to sail to a perfect score. But when Autopilot is on, not only are the bad things Autopilot does not counted, the good things aren't counted either. So if you drive only a tiny bit yourself and accelerate or brake or turn a tiny bit aggressively or follow closely, and there are only a few human-driven miles, your score is abysmal. Those things are blown totally out of proportion. You need lots of human driven miles to dilute the bad things.

When I turned Autopilot off, my bad scores jumped to 100% every time. Just get on a controlled access highway and drive without Autopilot, not too closely, and your safety score will become no problem.

• Helpful
i drive that daily. It’s not hard....
Well done! Still no FSD beta for you?

We managed to get 100's in the early days of FSD beta, back when one could experiment around but not when they were taking on more "testers". Here in Oakland it is tough when the crazies sweep across lanes to pop in front of you. OK on AP, but a sure ding if not. Sometimes I turn on auto speed control when I see them coming, just to avoid the ding. Also Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz is too curvey for AP. When hand driving on highways, I find myself counting seconds between me and the car ahead. Going slower just invites swoop-ins.

I do think that "safety score" does prove and practice one's ability to pay attention, a good skill for us potential test-dummies to have.

We managed to get 100's in the early days of FSD beta, back when one could experiment around but not when they were taking on more "testers". Here in Oakland it is tough when the crazies sweep across lanes to pop in front of you. OK on AP, but a sure ding if not. Sometimes I turn on auto speed control when I see them coming, just to avoid the ding. Also Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz is too curvey for AP. When hand driving on highways, I find myself counting seconds between me and the car ahead. Going slower just invites swoop-ins.

I do think that "safety score" does prove and practice one's ability to pay attention, a good skill for us potential test-dummies to have.
I live in Santa Cruz and drive to San Jose 6 days a week on standard AP flawlessly. No beta yet.

You may want to try the 17 again... not exaggerating when I say it drives me the entire way with speed set to 60 in the left lane. It slows to 50 on a couple curves, but other than that, it just cruises.

My regular daily drive is the 17 -> 85 -> 280 -> San Francisco, then back down the 101 to the 17. I do nothing. It changes lanes, it takes exits, it’s perfection.

You may want to try the 17 again...
Thanks, I will try it again.

I find that the Tesla drives curves quite differently than I do. I tend to drive a larger radius line by starting wide and beginning to turn a bit early, getting near the inside at the middle of the turn and drifting back wide as the turn ends, using the excess width of the lane. Lower horizontal Gs that way and gentler start and end of the turn. (I learned this technique from my high school physics teacher, Frank Schiavo, who was also a hobbyist race car driver. He told about getting caught once by CHP for using both lanes for the curves of Hwy 17 late one night. The only other traffic was the cop, oops. He explained to the judge that, given the lack of traffic, the way he was driving was the safest way, in fact the exact opposite of reckless. Charges were dismissed. This was long, long ago, and there were actually times with little traffic on 17, and no divider barrier, so head-on's were all too common when folks hit the turns too fast.) (WGHS 1969, Go Rams!)

Anyway, the Tesla seems to try to stay in the center of the lane the whole time through a turn, but it is a fraction of a second behind. It creeps me out when it doesn't start the turn as soon as I would, making me fear it is not going to stay within it's lane. It starts to turn late, turns harder, and then ends late. When it does slow down, it waits till well into the turn instead of anticipating. On a real twisty road it gets so far behind in wind up well across the centerline. It does OK only at a speed far below what humans drive.

On 17, though, the turns are not so tight. So maybe I just need to slow it down, relax and accept it as a different style of driving.

Thanks for your feedback.

My score was continuously going down due to unsafe following. I watched a few Youtube videos and now I got my score back up to 100. Unsafe following happens only above a speed of 50 miles/hour. I was getting dinged even when I used Autopilot. I found that all my unsafe following was happening on the freeway ramp. Now I put it on Autopilot as soon as I enter the ramp. Likewise when I exit the freeway I continue AP but turn the speed down the scroll wheel to below 50 and only then I disengage AP. I am in the Midwest and only drive in the suburbs so it is easy to maintain high score here. It is no doubt challenging maintaining high scores on the west and east coast and in larger cities. That said, I am wondering if Tesla is going to expand the FSD beta testers. I do hope that while adding Canadian drivers, they also expand the US FSD beta tester program.

• Helpful
Here's the deal. Essentially the safety score boils down to ratios, bad driving divided by total driving.

People read the description of the calculation on the Tesla web site and notice that nothing counts against you when Autopilot is engaged (except autopilot disengagement), so they turn on Autopilot and expect to sail to a perfect score. But when Autopilot is on, not only are the bad things Autopilot does not counted, the good things aren't counted either. So if you drive only a tiny bit yourself and accelerate or brake or turn a tiny bit aggressively or follow closely, and there are only a few human-driven miles, your score is abysmal. Those things are blown totally out of proportion. You need lots of human driven miles to dilute the bad things.

When I turned Autopilot off, my bad scores jumped to 100% every time. Just get on a controlled access highway and drive without Autopilot, not too closely, and your safety score will become no problem.
Are we sure that’s accurate? Do you have a link to Tesla’s site?

I just can’t understand where the forward collision warnings could come from then because I was using AP the entire time pretty much and am quite sure I never got that alert when driving the very short time manually. Unless it’s counting me parking into my garage and being stupid?

Are we sure that’s accurate? Do you have a link to Tesla’s site?

I just can’t understand where the forward collision warnings could come from then because I was using AP the entire time pretty much and am quite sure I never got that alert when driving the very short time manually. Unless it’s counting me parking into my garage and being stupid?
In your app, go to safety score, and press FAQ. It is 100% true that nothing during autopilot or for the 3 seconds after you exit autopilot counts against you or is even scored at all.

Reactions: pkeller001