TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to Replace Center Console Sliding Door

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Reekdog, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Has anyone tried to replace the sliding door in the facelift center console? I have a 2016 MS with the black door and would like to change it out with one of the carbon fiber ones they offer in the newer version of the console.

I bought the "CF sticker" but don't like the fit so I didn't put it on. The actual carbon fiber version of the sliding door is approximately $75.00

Any idea how much disassembly it takes to DIY change out a door?

If so, picts/videos would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Naomi

Naomi Banned

$75

3. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Yes $75.00 for the door... that's what the parts guy told me at the Service Center. No idea what they would charge to change it out

4. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Looks like about half an hour job. I think you would need to get at it from the underside

• Like x 1
  5. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

I dobremember seeing a video that DAERIK did adding wireless charging to the flip up console panel but I couldn't tell if the sliding door could be removed as well. Hey DAERIK, ARTSCI any thoughts or ideas?

6. evster

evster Member

Any more input on how to change the lid/sliding door? I'm in the process of changing it out for Carbon fiber as well and not sure how hard/difficult it would be as a DIY. Any input would be much appreciated!

@Reekdog - did you succeed with the swap? If so, would you share how it worked out? Thanks! :)

7. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

Im also curious about the swap and the part number?

thanks for the info!!

8. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

No input so far and I'm still reluctant to dive in on my own. I plan on stopping by the SC and chatting up one of the mechanics to see if I can get anymore info. BTW, I did find this video from DAERIK that shows how to access the phone charger flip door

• Informative x 1
  9. evster

evster Member

Thanks a lot for posting that video. Maybe it is as easy as just pulling the sides off like Erik did in the video. And hopefully it is not necessary to pop the entire side panel off to access just the sliding door in the front part of the console.

I'll also try and see if I can get some more info from my local Service Center. Let's update in this thread if we do find out something of value

10. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Haven't tackeled it yet but will definitely post the process/results when I do

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

You have to lift up the front edge of the trim cover and then slide it rearward while holding the sliding mechanism that it's attached to. It makes much more sense if you see the underside of the trim piece vs the sliding mechanism.

• Informative x 1
  12. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Any photos?

13. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

#13 Reekdog, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    FInally got it done... Here's a shot of my 2016 Black model S. The only one anywhere with Gray interior and a carbon fiber sliding door (lid)! At least for now anyway...lol

The carbon fiber sliding lid id a bit sturdier that the original. It doesnt require the removal of anything but the lid itself and attaches with 6 posts to the (lid tray).

Here's the final product. It was a simple replace that took around 3 mins. My local service center did it for me.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  14. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Here's the part number 1058088-11-A
    Sliding lid D-carbon

• Like x 1
  15. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Just ordered the door here in the U.K. It costs £56 and Tesla want £80 to fit it!!

Can you please confirm the fitting instructions and if it’s easy for me to do it myself.

16. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

See post #13 above for pictures. Basically, you pull the sided of the console apart just enough so the edges of the lid come free. Then you pull the lid top towards the seats so it disconnects from the tray it rides on and reverse the process to attach the need one. Hope that helps

17. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Thank you. Should be picking it up today or tomorrow.

• Love x 1
  18. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Just had mine fitted (Tesla charged £15). So, so much better than the old finger print magnet that was there before.

• Love x 1
  19. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Cool. it really makes a difference!

Please post a pic when you get a chance.

20. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Here you go

Attached Files:

• Love x 1