Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why you keep harping that point. Tesla has already told you that the "other" bill of sale is more recent than the documents you submitted.

I read your story this way: Tesla has documents from two different people, and cannot tell which is the fraudulent ones. I would be asking Tesla to 1, open a criminal investigation; and 2, take steps to prevent a different person from taking physical possession of the car.

So, one person has a registration and title, and the other person has a bill of sale and you can't tell which one is the fraudulent one?

Did you skip the part where I said I sent them a more recent bill of sale I made up (since they obviously accept that)?

Many years ago I called Amex customer service when I was having trouble with my card. After answering an unusually-long list of verification questions, they finally accused me of being a scammer, threatened to call the police, and hung up on me. Huh?

Many exasperated calls later, we determined that the mailing address had been changed on my account without my knowledge or consent, to a place I had never lived nor even visited. They declined to reveal if this was by mistake or malfeasance, but it was quite a challenge to convince them I was actually me.

The first step was to get them to listen. Hard to believe that my 30-years-ago-self was that persuasive lol

Take what you want off the car, park in seedy airport parking lot. Wait a day and report it stolen. Even if you get the car back, now you'll have a police report to get it back in your name.

I wanted to "thumbs up" this, until I thought about it for a second and realized it's a crime. In my state filing a false police report could be a misdemeanor or felony, including a year in jail but up to 7 years in state prison for the worst offenses.

I wanted to "thumbs up" this, until I thought about it for a second and realized it's a crime. In my state filing a false police report could be a misdemeanor or felony, including a year in jail but up to 7 years in state prison for the worst offenses.
good point! I forgot that cops don't like that :p
I was half joking though, find a friendly cop and see if they can work with you on this. They might be able to give you something official that it's in your possession and not reported stolen

Reactions: Synthax
I think they were assuming that whoever got Tesla to transfer the car in the Tesla systems would come and take the car, such that it would actually be stolen at that point.

Reactions: Synthax and Zaxy
Why not just transfer the title to a family member legally as a gift (then transfer back later)? The family should be able to request a transfer from Tesla. Not sure if there is any tax for gift vehicles in Kansas though.

@Naonak, how about getting a new copy of your title using this form? It's a $10 fee but theoretically you'd have a more recently dated document that would supersede the other. Apparently it can be done at your local DMV. I'm assuming you could bring your existing title with you, explain the situation, and they'd be happy to issue it for you.

@Naonak, how about getting a new copy of your title using this form? It's a $10 fee but theoretically you'd have a more recently dated document that would supersede the other. Apparently it can be done at your local DMV. I'm assuming you could bring your existing title with you, explain the situation, and they'd be happy to issue it for you.
It might be marked as a duplicate. (It would be here). All it would show is that the "buyer" doesn't have the title yet.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Pretty much any national news organization would be very interested in this as a story. Contact one of those rabid reporters and see what she/he does to sensationalize this issue and get it plastered across the evening news. Next thing you know, David Miur will be talking about it on World News Tonight.

You doubled down with another fake...it kind of kills your credibility if they could tell yours is faked, no?

Seems like an odd step to take.

Really? It seems like an odd step after they say "The problem is we have two people claiming the vehicle is theirs and this new person claiming the vehicle is theirs has provided a more current bill of sale."

They are clearly and unequivocally saying a more current bill of sale is enough to transfer the vehicle. So sending a more current bill of sale seems odd to you? Wow.

Let's not forgot one of them has a current registration and title as well, which was already provided.

Really? It seems like an odd step after they say "The problem is we have two people claiming the vehicle is theirs and this new person claiming the vehicle is theirs has provided a more current bill of sale."

They are clearly and unequivocally saying a more current bill of sale is enough to transfer the vehicle. So sending a more current bill of sale seems odd to you? Wow.

Let's not forgot one of them has a current registration and title as well, which was already provided.
So you thought it was a good idea to create a newer bill of sale?

Terrible situation, but it's almost like you attempted to actively make it worse.