Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem seems to be that when using Autopilot the wipers go to AUTO and you cannot set them to manual. In other words, on bright, clear, sunny days when the wipers are frantically racing back and forth, scratching your windshield, you cannot use autopilot. Tesla, please fix.
And yet, when you turn the wipers on, the car does not automatically turn the headlights on (which in many states is the law, including California, where Tesla is from and has a LOT of cars). The (lack of) logic on these two details astounds me.

Can anyone explain what the reasoning behind turning the wipers to auto when AP is on?

Upvote 0
And yet, when you turn the wipers on, the car does not automatically turn the headlights on (which in many states is the law, including California, where Tesla is from and has a LOT of cars). The (lack of) logic on these two details astounds me.

Can anyone explain what the reasoning behind turning the wipers to auto when AP is on?
Because AP needs the cameras to have a clear view.

Upvote 0
Because AP needs the cameras to have a clear view.
This could have been executed much better
  • The system is smart enough to know when a camera can't see (I get occasional warnings about the visibility of cameras being diminished). If the front camera had a diminished view, a warning would come up with a recommendation of using the wipers. Maybe even lock out AP until the situation is remedied
  • There should at least be a way to turn it off after the initial startup. If the view became diminished, the same warning would come up.

Upvote 0
This could have been executed much better
  • The system is smart enough to know when a camera can't see (I get occasional warnings about the visibility of cameras being diminished). If the front camera had a diminished view, a warning would come up with a recommendation of using the wipers. Maybe even lock out AP until the situation is remedied
  • There should at least be a way to turn it off after the initial startup. If the view became diminished, the same warning would come up.
You would think so but they can’t seem to get auto wiper algorithm right still. So they default to the wipers going max speed at the slightest drop of moisture.

Plus, the other cameras can stand to have some dirt and distortion but the front cameras are mission critical so they need to be as clear as possible for optimum AP function.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Upvote 0
The problem seems to be that when using Autopilot the wipers go to AUTO and you cannot set them to manual. In other words, on bright, clear, sunny days when the wipers are frantically racing back and forth, scratching your windshield, you cannot use autopilot. Tesla, please fix.
Obviously, Tesla is not interested in customer drivers' feedback, pleas or suggestions. And I'm sure they don't bother to read posts in this forum.

Upvote 0

In my country, headlights must by law be ON between December and March on highways. You risk a traffic ticket if you forget to turn them on when leaving city limits. Yet Tesla 3 controls cannot be set to accommodate this need. Worse: when you turn on the headlights manually on a clear summer day, the head and parking lights screen icons do not show. That's obviously a bug.

Upvote 0
Tesla needs to let us turn off the auto wipers when on Autopilot or FSD beta. And if the car can't see then it would just turn off those driving functions, like it does when it's too dark and the cameras can't see. I got so frustrated with the wipers coming on using FSD beta on a sunny day, that I've stopped driving with the beta. And they need to do the same with the auto high beams too!

Reactions: Gasaraki and AZTech
Upvote 0
I hardly ever use the auto. But to bring up the wiper menu/card, just press wiper button on the stock. It's the smilar button to Park but opposite stock. In US, that's the left stock. I guess you can use the voice thing too.
I never purposely set the wipers to Auto, but it's on Auto by default when using the FSD beta or Autopilot and you can't turn it off.

Upvote 0