Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Tell if a Car has FSD subscription or Fully Paid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks does it mean its paid for and dont have to pay an additional $200/mo. / $15k?
The term Full Self Driving Computer just means that the car has the equipment required. It does not mean that the car has the software enabled. You need to look at the software page to see if Full Self Driving software is listed and whether it shows up as an 'included package' or has either auto-renewal, an expiration date, or something similar.

If you are looking at a car owned by an individual, you can also have the owner show you his Tesla app for the car. Look in the Upgrades section to see if FSD is listed in the purchase section. If FSD was purchased, it will NOT show up, since you cannot buy it again.

The term Full Self Driving Computer just means that the car has the equipment required. It does not mean that the car has the software enabled. You need to look at the software page to see if Full Self Driving software is listed and whether it shows up as an 'included package' or has either auto-renewal, an expiration date, or something similar.

If you are looking at a car owned by an individual, you can also have the owner show you his Tesla app for the car. Look in the Upgrades section to see if FSD is listed in the purchase section. If FSD was purchased, it will NOT show up, since you cannot buy it again.

thanks this is from a dealer (non-tesla) and it does say included package under autopilot and premium package

Attachments

• FSD.PNG
    FSD.PNG
    533.6 KB · Views: 923
  • software page.png
    software page.png
    473.6 KB · Views: 770
thanks this is from a dealer (non-tesla) and it does say included package under autopilot and premium package
Autopilot is included with all modern Teslas. Premium Connectivity is the cellular service that gets you streaming audio and traffic data.

The screenshots you posted did not state that the car has "Full Self Driving Capability" included, so I do not believe that the car has purchased FSD. There are no options shown for FSD beta under the Autopilot screenshot you posted either.

The car likely either had FSD on subscription, which expired. The car might also have been traded in to Tesla, who removed FSD before auctioning the car. This is very common.

If the dealer claims the car has FSD capability, then get it in writing before you buy the car.

Autopilot is included with all modern Teslas. Premium Connectivity is the cellular service that gets you streaming audio and traffic data.

The screenshots you posted did not state that the car has "Full Self Driving Capability" included, so I do not believe that the car has purchased FSD. There are no options shown for FSD beta under the Autopilot screenshot you posted either.

The car likely either had FSD on subscription, which expired. The car might also have been traded in to Tesla, who removed FSD before auctioning the car. This is very common.

If the dealer claims the car has FSD capability, then get it in writing before you buy the car.
Thanks - which screen do I need to look for to determine if fsd has been paid for ?

Thanks - which screen do I need to look for to determine if fsd has been paid for ?
Bring up the Software page. If FSD was purchased, it should state "Full Self Driving Capability - Included package", or words to that effect. Ignore anything about a Full Self Driving Computer or Autopilot. All but very old Teslas have these standard.

Bring up the Software page. If FSD was purchased, it should state "Full Self Driving Capability - Included package", or words to that effect. Ignore anything about a Full Self Driving Computer or Autopilot. All but very old Teslas have these standard.

the software page was one of the ones i posted which said full-driving computer (not capability) .. here is the additional information screen from the software screen. is the distinction capability vs computer?

in reading through the different forums it seems like if there is no expiration date on the software date then its purchased. sorry new to the tesla world and just trying to figure out what i am getting myself into before i dive in!

Attachments

• info.png
    info.png
    604.6 KB · Views: 698
the software page was one of the ones i posted which said full-driving computer (not capability) .. here is the additional information screen from the software screen. is the distinction capability vs computer?

in reading through the different forums it seems like if there is no expiration date on the software date then its purchased. sorry new to the tesla world and just trying to figure out what i am getting myself into before i dive in!
Full Self Driving Computer is simply the computer hardware in the car. The car has this equipment whether the original buyer purchased FSD or not. "Full Self Driving Capability - included package" means that Tesla has unlocked the FSD software features because the owner had purchased FSD, not subscribed. If the owner had an active subscription, then there should be words indicating an expiration date, auto-renewal, etc.

The screenshots you posted DO NOT indicate that this car currently has FSD.

Important! If you purchase a car from a dealer, you NEED to understand the following. If someone who has purchased FSD trades their car in to Tesla, then Tesla may, at their whim, remove the FSD license. Sometimes Tesla is slow to actually remove the license and the car gets auctioned to a dealer, who sells it with FSD still showing on the software screen. Later, Tesla catches up and FSD is removed! I strongly suggest that, if you are looking to purchase a car with FSD from a dealer, that you make sure that your contract for the car explicitly states that the car comes with Full Self Driving as an included package. Buyer beware!

If you purchase the car from an individual, then this should not be an issue unless, of course, that person bought the car used at a Tesla auction. If it was the original owner, and that person bought FSD, then FSD will stay on the car when sold.

Reactions: Darmie
Full Self Driving Computer is simply the computer hardware in the car. The car has this equipment whether the original buyer purchased FSD or not. "Full Self Driving Capability - included package" means that Tesla has unlocked the FSD software features because the owner had purchased FSD, not subscribed. If the owner had an active subscription, then there should be words indicating an expiration date, auto-renewal, etc.

Important! If you purchase a car from a dealer, you NEED to understand the following. If someone who has purchased FSD trades their car in to Tesla, then Tesla may, at their whim, remove the FSD license. Sometimes Tesla is slow to actually remove the license and the car gets auctioned to a dealer, who sells it with FSD still showing on the software screen. Later, Tesla catches up and FSD is removed! I strongly suggest that, if you are looking to purchase a car with FSD from a dealer, that you make sure that your contract for the car explicitly states that the car comes with Full Self Driving as an included package. Buyer beware!

If you purchase the car from an individual, then this should not be an issue unless, of course, that person bought the car used at a Tesla auction. If it was the original owner, and that person bought FSD, then FSD will stay on the car when sold.
My

thank u for clarifying I will look for the "capability feature - included package" as I continue my search

I was thrown off on this particular one since the software said fsd beta so I assumed in order to use fsd beta , fsd has to be enabled

to add to this thread, i test drove a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD today. it says the FSD computer is there (as noted elsewhere in this thread) and shows FSD Beta 10.69.2.3. the FSD software was in Beta and there was an option to enable it. We did not do that as I wasn't sure what it did. it sounds like the car does not have this FSD active right now as i did not see an expiration date, or auto-renew. Perhaps if I accepted the prompt to run the software in Beta it would then show if there is a subscription of or if is included with the car (transfer over to me)? I was told my the dealer that they took it as a trade-in from an individual and did not buy it at auction etc.

See photos for reference.

Any input appreciated!
PXL_20230204_223052005~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230204_222713177~3.jpg
    PXL_20230204_222713177~3.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
to add to this thread, i test drove a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD today. it says the FSD computer is there (as noted elsewhere in this thread) and shows FSD Beta 10.69.2.3. the FSD software was in Beta and there was an option to enable it. We did not do that as I wasn't sure what it did. it sounds like the car does not have this FSD active right now as i did not see an expiration date, or auto-renew. Perhaps if I accepted the prompt to run the software in Beta it would then show if there is a subscription of or if is included with the car (transfer over to me)? I was told my the dealer that they took it as a trade-in from an individual and did not buy it at auction etc. can share photos if better to illustrate.

Any input appreciated!
Did the software page have a line that said "Full Self Driving Capability"? Post a photo of the software page, if you are not sure.

Did the software page have a line that said "Full Self Driving Capability"? Post a photo of the software page, if you are not sure.
I don't recall seeing that anywhere on the main software screen and I didn't click on the release notes for the FSD. Perhaps that would clarify? Some other photos on here show FSD & connecticity expiration/renewal I fo, I didn't see those options on this car.

I don't recall seeing that anywhere on the main software screen and I didn't click on the release notes for the FSD. Perhaps that would clarify? Some other photos on here show FSD & connecticity expiration/renewal I fo, I didn't see those options on this car.
The release notes would not help. The software set last installed was an FSD beta software set and the release notes would reflect that. But, if there is no FSD Capability shown on the software page, then the car almost certainly had a monthly FSD subscription, which has expired. So, none of the FSD features should be functional at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: Alabaster

is FSD really worth it? going through the forums seems people are saying its not really worth the extra $$. i am seeing a a 2016 with AP1 with convenience priced $10k less (MCU1) but with free super charging ..

Reactions: Alabaster