Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC - single phase 32a

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask a question, I have a HPWC connected on a single phase 32amp circuit. My model S only has a single charger.

What charging rates should I be getting? I swear I used to get 50km/hr but the last few times I'm getting a charging rate at 33km/hr. Does this seem right, or am I getting my wires crossed?

33-34km range per hour is about right for that set up.
Did you charge at a 3 phase HPWC elsewhere? That would have been about 54km range per hour with single charger.
Hey Blue heaven,

Thanks for the reply.
No I haven't used a 3 phase HPWC elsewhere. As Ray mentioned I did change from rated to typical. This is what caused the different ranges I've seen.

Reactions: Blue heaven
Quick bit of help needed re Off Peak connection if anyone can assist?

I am sctracting my head at the moment.

Just connected 3 phase HPWC today on T31 off peak. Most of the time the HPWC is not powered up, so don't think it will open charging port? I am assuming I can open the charge port from main screen, connect, have car programmed to charge during off peak times and when off peak is live between 1pm and 7am then hope the car talks to the HPWC and charges so I wake up all ready to go?

Any experiences with off peak connections?

Probably I should let someone answer that knows what they are talking about. But I will let you know my understanding. (Not that my tesla has arrived yet).

The charge port can be opened from screen. When the wall charger gets switched on by the off peak, it waits a random amount of time before changing (a few mins). This is to prevent many chargers kicking in on a grid simultaneously after a blackout. So I assume the off peak works like a blackout recovery.

I don't think you need to set charge timings on the car. It will just charge once the flow of off peak starts. (I think you use the charge timers if you have a new "time of day" electricity meter that charges differential tariffs at different times. For this you would set the car to charge only at cheap times (even though a live charger is attached)

Hope that helps (and isn't wrong ;-)

Reactions: Bullet1
Quick bit of help needed re Off Peak connection if anyone can assist?

I am sctracting my head at the moment.

Just connected 3 phase HPWC today on T31 off peak. Most of the time the HPWC is not powered up, so don't think it will open charging port? I am assuming I can open the charge port from main screen, connect, have car programmed to charge during off peak times and when off peak is live between 1pm and 7am then hope the car talks to the HPWC and charges so I wake up all ready to go?

Any experiences with off peak connections?
My charger is connected via to off peak power via a contactor @32A. You are right that when there is no power the button on the charger won't open the charge point but you can do that from the screen or using the key fob. I just hold the boot (hatch) button on the fob for a few seconds and it pops open. You can use the schedule to start charging but there really isn't any need - once the power is on the car will start charging on it's own.

Reactions: Bullet1
My charger is connected via to off peak power via a contactor @32A. You are right that when there is no power the button on the charger won't open the charge point but you can do that from the screen or using the key fob. I just hold the boot (hatch) button on the fob for a few seconds and it pops open. You can use the schedule to start charging but there really isn't any need - once the power is on the car will start charging on it's own.
Thanks for the rundown. Didn't realise the fob opens the charger port so this is perfect.