Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still, even an Audi A6 starts with manual seats.

Manual seats in Model 3 would not be out of the ordinary in the class, though of course electric would have to be offered as an option to count as normal...
Probably because of this

Company car benefit – 1% rule confirmed: ...a company car at 1% per month of the manufacturer’s list price when new...

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Yikes you are right! BMW 3 series (another comparison) Power seats $1,000, heated seats $500, navigation $2k.
Should be interesting to see what option packs we get on the 3. If the base has manual seats, for example, the PUP equivalent could be a lot more comprehensive. (If they intend to keep the number of options down, as we here.)

• Helpful
How many Teslas have a 3 minute full-charge option during long-range driving? ;)

Let's stick to the comparable features, shall we.

The 3 major functional luxury differences between EV and ICE propulsion:

Automatic overnight refueling. For homeowners it's usually cheaper and faster than a gasoline station visit, always more convenient and safer.
Instant use. No engine damage from hard acceleration on a cold motor and no reduction in power.
Super Transmission. The transmission provides maximum rated power instantly at all times, with 0 millisec up shifts and 0 millisec downshifts.

These are very significant luxury features found on only 1% of the cars.

The 3 minute Refuel thing was solved in 2011 with EREV technology. The Luxury of EV, with the quick refueling of ICE.

Automatic overnight refueling. For homeowners it's usually cheaper and faster than a gasoline station visit, always more convenient and safer.
Instant use. No engine damage from hard acceleration on a cold motor and no reduction in power.
Super Transmission. The transmission provides maximum rated power instantly at all times, with 0 millisec up shifts and 0 millisec downshifts.

The 3 minute Refuel thing was solved in 2011 with EREV technology. The Luxury of EV, with the quick refueling of ICE.

I still don't see the point of this comparison, though of course I agree you list certain benefits of an EV. But here we are discussing non-drivetrain related features, namely HUD-related features in this thread - and those are a separate issue.

People, in the end, will make the compromise/select the mix of features that matter to them subjectively.

Reactions: R.S
How many Teslas have a 3 minute full-charge option during long-range driving? ;)

Let's stick to the comparable features, shall we.

This makes me wonder if they will hold back potential fast charging for the new 2170's (remember Elon joking about 350kw charging as being nothing?) until they can get the new cells in S/X this winter or next year. Very off topic, I know, but just thought this is a potential issue, as he promised no features go into 3 that aren't present on S/X.

Reactions: boaterva
This makes me wonder if they will hold back potential fast charging for the new 2170's (remember Elon joking about 350kw charging as being nothing?) until they can get the new cells in S/X this winter or next year. Very off topic, I know, but just thought this is a potential issue, as he promised no features go into 3 that aren't present on S/X.

If you only have 145kW chargers, there is no way you are going to charge with 350kW. It's as easy as that. The last semi-public statement, concerning 2070s in the S/X, Elon said end of this year, which means there will only be very few months of 3 deliveries. So if they are going to introduce quicker chargers, they'll just wait for the S and X to be able to use them, announce them and then actually retrofit the old superchargers.

Introducing quicker charging for the 3, but not the S and X would definitely be a stupid move.

I do wonder if there will be any steering wheel controls and I'm assuming there will be voice commands?
I would think so. A poster in this thread wondered about AC controls. I seldom use the center screen. Just tap the button on the wheel to adjust fan speed. Same thing for changing songs, using the button on the wheel and voice commands.

In all the discussions about one screen/computer vs two, I think people may be overlooking navigation. Hopefully, there will still be navigation when Internet isn't available, which is why X and S have Google maps running off the computer tied to the center screen plus the separate Navigon/Garmin navigation system with built in maps that runs off the computer tied to the guage cluster (not available in Model 3). Obviously Google updates maps much more frequently than Garmin, but Navigon is always available when traveling in rural areas so if one mapping system goes away I guess it should be Google Maps unless both systems can run on the same computer, a computer that already will have a heavy load.

• Helpful
This has been addressed quite a few times, but it probably is a combination of not just cost, but also manufacturing time. The panel itself and the wiring are the most likely things to need human installations, since they require working in smaller spaces. If it takes a couple/few minutes to run the wire, then another couple to install the screen, you're talking a significant amount of time that could cost you a few cars a day at Elon's stated "goal pace". So now instead of $87, you are talking thousands per day of lost profit, which they have to compare to the (admittedly subjective) opinion about the second screen being unnecessary. Not saying it's the right or wrong choice, but they have to make this decision for hundreds of different potential parts, and it's "death by a thousand cuts" when you are trying to get cost and efficiency down.

Agree 100%.