Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hummer EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM is actively testing three prototypes of the Hummer EV. Two have incomplete front grilles, but are fully functional otherwise. The third and newest is 100% complete and looks just like the reveal mock-up, but is fully functional. The incomplete mules are currently doing cold weather and off-road testing in the midwest and northern US. The completed mule is doing more road testing around at the proving grounds site and on public roads around the area.

The truck that GM dropped in LeBron's driveway was the reveal mock-up. This mock-up unit has a complete interior and exterior with light system to showcase the vehicle. But only has a single motor and many drivetrain and structural components are 3D printed/ or makeshift plastic with a smaller battery setup, just enough battery to run the computer, the lights and pop the hood and drive the truck into position and back to the trailer. It has a top speed of about 7mph. I saw one of the Hummer team engineers say that it could probably do 10mph, but they don't want to break it. They use a winch to pull it into and control its exit out of the box trailer that hauls it. Gently as it goes...

We will all be able to see these trucks as GM finishes up their factory construction and begins production. All GMC dealers that opted into the Hummer EV program get their own Edition 1 truck for showroom/ demo purposes. It's a full fledged Edition 1 that they can sell at a later date.

View attachment 600652 Well, someone has to post this here, lol.
Introducing the GMC HUMMER EV | Electric Truck

Looks pretty well thought out, and from a company that knows how to build trucks. Not as revolutionary as the Cybertruck, but who ever said it has to be? Pretty expensive, though. If it does everything they say it can, it will sell well and it will be real competition.

They just need to build it, lol.
IF is always the word with GM - typical vaporware from them. And they don't how to build quality trucks. My guess is another bailout request within the decade.

Reactions: LionXng
Why are none of the Truck manufacturers just building the truck everyone wants? Same configurations as an F150 or Chevy 1500, but with an electric drive train with 350 mile range. Don't need no fancy electronics, touch screen, self driving, power retracting cover, crab mode, rock-crawling, river-crossing, camper mode, ludicrous mode, bullet proofing, moon roof, or monster tires. Just a 78" long unobstructed traditional pickup bed and tailgate, and a hitch that can pull 12,000 lbs. Thats the vehicle that will sell millions per year.

Chevy hints they have one in the works. Just get on with it, already!

Reactions: coleAK
Why are none of the Truck manufacturers just building the truck everyone wants? Same configurations as an F150 or Chevy 1500, but with an electric drive train with 350 mile range. Don't need no fancy electronics, touch screen, self driving, power retracting cover, crab mode, rock-crawling, river-crossing, camper mode, ludicrous mode, bullet proofing, moon roof, or monster tires. Just a 78" long unobstructed traditional pickup bed and tailgate, and a hitch that can pull 12,000 lbs. Thats the vehicle that will sell millions per year.

Chevy hints they have one in the works. Just get on with it, already!

You describe a work truck. This type of vehicle is a smaller fraction of the pickup truck market (about 10% or so I've heard). Most people buy a pickup truck not because they need it but because they can, and because they can show that they could afford the most monstrous creature fully loaded with useless features. When our neighbor referred to his truck as "Platinum", I've learned it's a Ford's truck trim with a lot of useless expensive thingies.

So, I respectfully disagree that completely unloaded trucks will sell by millions.

You describe a work truck. This type of vehicle is a smaller fraction of the pickup truck market (about 10% or so I've heard). Most people buy a pickup truck not because they need it but because they can, and because they can show that they could afford the most monstrous creature fully loaded with useless features. When our neighbor referred to his truck as "Platinum", I've learned it's a Ford's truck trim with a lot of useless expensive thingies.

So, I respectfully disagree that completely unloaded trucks will sell by millions.

this the reality.

The average sale price of a 1/2 ton truck is ~$53k. The average price paid for a 1/2 ton now is more then the average price paid for a Mercedes.

I’m also a Land Cruiser enthusiast, I’ve had one for going on 30 years: a j60, j80, and currently have a 200 series. On the LC forums the debate always resurfaces of why toyota only sells a $85k+ LC and not a stripped down $50k land cruiser here in the US. The reality is they sell every $85-$105k 200 they import and very few American consumers want a stripped down vehicle.

Just about every auto maker, and wanna-be auto maker, is boasting about their “upcoming” all-electric vehicles. Some even post prototypes to add to the hype. My position is, “When you manufacture them, sell them to consumers for years, have proven reliability, have proven battery life, service the vehicles, and provide supercharging stations across the country, THEN we can take you seriously as a Tesla competitor.

As for Tesla’s “affordable vehicle for the masses,” they need to produce a truly affordable RWD base car, with manually adjustable cloth seats, solid roof, cheep wheels and nice hubcaps, with a 50kW battery (getting cheeper to produce) providing +/- 200 miles of range for average use, at an MSRP of $23k to $27k to compete with vehicles like the Toyota Corolla. That’s an “affordable vehicle for the masses.”

Just about every auto maker, and wanna-be auto maker, is boasting about their “upcoming” all-electric vehicles. Some even post prototypes to add to the hype. My position is, “When you manufacture them, sell them to consumers for years, have proven reliability, have proven battery life, service the vehicles, and provide supercharging stations across the country, THEN we can take you seriously as a Tesla competitor.

As for Tesla’s “affordable vehicle for the masses,” they need to produce a truly affordable RWD base car, with manually adjustable cloth seats, solid roof, cheep wheels and nice hubcaps, with a 50kW battery (getting cheeper to produce) providing +/- 200 miles of range for average use, at an MSRP of $23k to $27k to compete with vehicles like the Toyota Corolla. That’s an “affordable vehicle for the masses.”

I agree, in the first 5 or so years Tesla has been viewed as an expensive toy car company. They've built the reputation over a decade. Remember, the Autopilot is a very new thing even compared to the age of the Model S.

I believe Tesla could produce a cheaper car right now, BUT it simply has no manufacturing capacities for that car and for all more pricey vehicles. Also, smaller cars typically have smaller margins.

I believe Tesla could produce a cheaper car right now, BUT it simply has no manufacturing capacities for that car and for all more pricey vehicles. Also, smaller cars typically have smaller margins.

Lower battery manufacturing costs will help. You hit the big issue Re: manufacturing capacity. Tesla is continually growing at a very rapid rate which is a huge challenge... there is just so much growth that they can handle... and Tesla continues to exceed most expectations.

I wonder what the sales of each version of the cybertruck will be? The 250 mile version would most likely be the work truck. But towing a large trailer and loading up the truck with gear and people would not make for long trips before charging. The 300 mile truck could be the mid range truck. With better towing capacity and longer range you can go farther before charging but not much. The 500 mile is the top of the line truck. However it is also the most expensive with a 14000 pound towing capacity With towing a 12000 pound trailer it should go twice the distance as the other two trucks towing just under their max capacity. I hope Tesla will lower the 500 mile cybertruck. price. Maybe give a discount for fleets

Can’t travel in any of the EV on the market now...no charging network

Tesla supercharging network covers quite well unless you are in very rural areas. Level 2 charging Networks are not sufficient for long trips. Only overnight, with availability concerns. Superchargers are just about the only way for longer trips.

I currently live in an apartment offering shared Level 2 chargers (free and almost always available) and a private garage with a simple household 15A circuit. 90% of the time I just pull in the garage and plug in. Moving the car is a PITA, especially after a busy day. I just want to plug in and forget about it... unless I really need a full charge faster.

My car is the Model 3 SR+ with lover electric consumption used for short trips. It is much different than a heavy SUV driven for commercial purposes or to transport a family around all day, requiring more energy per charge.