Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 can be installed by mobile service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retrofits "later this year", not early this year, so starting ~28th December then I suppose. Ay caramba!
hA96010C8.jpeg

With all the current software updates.... Hardware update HW3.0 will be coming fairly quick I would suspect. Especially if it is in fact replacing HW2.0 for people that purchased FSD. The computer in my vehicle has been much slower lately with all the software updates.

All they need to do to swap the computer card is remove the glove compartment, and unplug a few cables. We’ve seen this in the front camera add-on thread where we access (but don’t remove, lol) the computer. Glad to hear it’s been confirmed this won’t clog up the Service Centers for a quick job like this!

With all the current software updates.... Hardware update HW3.0 will be coming fairly quick I would suspect. Especially if it is in fact replacing HW2.0 for people that purchased FSD. The computer in my vehicle has been much slower lately with all the software updates.

You can’t feel AP stuff yourself. The HW3.0 does nothing to improve ur car entertainment system experience.

That particular clusterfart is why I have zero confidence in them not screwing the pooch with the HW3 upgrades. They can't even organize THAT.
That's why they need to just send the new part to me on a cross ship RMA. I pull out the old, toss it in the shipping box, pop in the new one, and do a Power down reboot, drive to the PO/Fedex/UPS store and send the old back to them. Easy-peasy. I expect my new HW3 part in the mail by later this month.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
That's why they need to just send the new part to me on a cross ship RMA. I pull out the old, toss it in the shipping box, pop in the new one, and do a Power down reboot, drive to the PO/Fedex/UPS store and send the old back to them. Easy-peasy. I expect my new HW3 part in the mail by later this month.

Plausible for the S & X, but the 3 has watercooling to deal with.

Plausible for the S & X, but the 3 has watercooling to deal with.
I jest. The thought of the unwashed masses handling the circuit boards, trying to "foolproof" the install to an adequate extent for anyone that convinced themselves they were good enough to do it, would keep engineers sleepless. :)

That said, as Eno Deb points out, to get the claimed install time it has to be streamlined enough for a reasonable competent DIY to pull off.

If they were smart they used quick disconnect fittings, which would allow swapping the computer without first draining the cooling system. I don't see how else they could come close to swapping the unit in 30 minutes.
I jest. The thought of the unwashed masses handling the circuit boards, trying to "foolproof" the install to an adequate extent for anyone that convinced themselves they were good enough to do it, would keep engineers sleepless. :)

That said, as Eno Deb points out, to get the claimed install time it has to be streamlined enough for a reasonable competent DIY to pull off.

I consider that install time just like any other claim from Elon involving time: the absolute best case scenario.