Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 and Center Horn on 2023 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the horn placement on the yoke. I rarely use a horn, but it’s nice not having to move my hand to reach a center horn - I just have to stretch out my thumb. Yes, after 50 years of driving my muscle memory was set on a center horn, but it’s just a matter of retraining that habit. Not so hard.
Everytime I horn, my cruise control, windshield wipers, etc... go off. There's so many times where I couldn't horn because my yoke was in an awkward turning position. And even more times where I'm fumbling for the button.

I love my '21 MS LR with Yoke. But I ****ing hate the horn. It's the only thing I absolutely hate.

Maybe because live in northern New Mexico, or because I drive in Chill mode ;), but I just never have the need to toot my horn. Although a couple of days ago an a**hole cut me off and I felt I needed to let him know my dissatisfaction - the one finger salute was not enough!

Reactions: lowtek
Well that's just it. I rarely use my horn so I don't have enough opportunities to build muscle memory. Turn signals I use all the time so I have adapted to those just fine. But not the horn. As @lowtek said, the few times I've needed it my choice was to look down away from whatever was causing my need to use the horn or just focus on avoiding the accident. I avoided and then after the crisis was averted I then tooted my dissatisfaction with the other driver :rolleyes:

Muscle memory is king in a panic ... I always smack the airbag and then it's too late, the moment is usually gone (or they've hit you) 🤣

Find an overbearing loved one to sit in the passenger seat and yell, “HORN!!” and you reach for the horn, repeat about 50 times, and do that exercise every day for a month.

Muscle memory reset!

Last edited:
I like the horn placement on the yoke. I rarely use a horn, but it’s nice not having to move my hand to reach a center horn - I just have to stretch out my thumb. Yes, after 50 years of driving my muscle memory was set on a center horn, but it’s just a matter of retraining that habit. Not so hard.
I personally don't like it at all. If you have to honk the horn with the button, you have to take your eyes off the road and search for it because it's so small. And usually, if you're honking it's because something is happening that needs your attention on the road.

I personally don't like it at all. If you have to honk the horn with the button, you have to take your eyes off the road and search for it because it's so small. And usually, if you're honking it's because something is happening that needs your attention on the road.
I never liked it on my 95 Acura, but got used to it. I've had plenty of time to do so! The buttons (2) are larger and on both sides.

You can't be looking for the button when you need it, IMO.

It seems using a consistent hand position on the left, will enable one to use the " karate " chop method suggested elsewhere on this forum.

Reactions: GalacticHero
I never liked it on my 95 Acura, but got used to it. I've had plenty of time to do so! The buttons (2) are larger and on both sides.

You can't be looking for the button when you need it, IMO.

It seems using a consistent hand position on the left, will enable one to use the " karate " chop method suggested elsewhere on this forum.
I'm not using martial arts on my car just to get it to honk the horn. they need to make the center the activation again.

Muscle memory is king in a panic ... I always smack the airbag and then it's too late, the moment is usually gone (or they've hit you) 🤣
Exactly. Also I don't want my muscle memory retrained. I still have to drive other cars. I want standard shaped steering control, normal horn placement, and same for the turn signals. For that matter, the 3/Y speedometer placement is problematic too, out of sight line. It would be worse except that I usually have at least TACC engaged. If the weather deteriorates or gook gets on a camera and the car decides to bail on TACC, then you get to remember how bad it is having the speedo off to the side :-(

In case some of you don't already know, Tesla has provided an interim work around to activate the horn whenever the right side of the yoke surface is covered by the hand. So, in the event you need to trigger the horn quickly, simply palm the right side of the yoke surface without having to exact the location of the designated horn area.

It's not perfect, as sometimes the wiper or voice control may also trigger, but the horn does indeed go off each time when I tried it.

I think the horn and turn signals are a safety issue more than anything. I don't mind change, as a matter of fact, I love change.
In case some of you don't already know, Tesla has provided an interim work around to activate the horn whenever the right side of the yoke surface is covered by the hand. So, in the event you need to trigger the horn quickly, simply palm the right side of the yoke surface without having to exact the location of the designated horn area.

It's not perfect, as sometimes the wiper or voice control may also trigger, but the horn does indeed go off each time when I tried it.
It's not by design ... just happens you hit the button when you do that ... there's no special mechanism ... half the time I hit one of the other buttons as well