Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 and Center Horn on 2023 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over a year after the promised update, no go? Does that mean the hardware was never there as promised or they're still woking on a software update? The tweet said all cars after Nov 2021 I think have the hardware.
As far as I’m aware it’s been confirmed that there’s no physical switch in the center that can act as a horn. Now it is possible that their plan was to detect a center press in some typical Muskian overcomplicated method of using the interior camera or something and they never actually got the software to work.

There is some evidence that they were planning for a center horn at some point Elon Musk confirms yoke steering wheel airbag horn will be turned on through OTA software update

Though for all I know that picture was staged

Perhaps the model 3 highland steering wheel and airbag would work in the S/X and that does have a center horn. But the diameter is probably small enough to obstruct the instrument panel. And I don’t know if there’s be any potential issues as far as the airbag goes.

Reactions: dsm363
As far as I’m aware it’s been confirmed that there’s no physical switch in the center that can act as a horn. Now it is possible that their plan was to detect a center press in some typical Muskian overcomplicated method of using the interior camera or something and they never actually got the software to work.

There is some evidence that they were planning for a center horn at some point Elon Musk confirms yoke steering wheel airbag horn will be turned on through OTA software update

Though for all I know that picture was staged

Perhaps the model 3 highland steering wheel and airbag would work in the S/X and that does have a center horn. But the diameter is probably small enough to obstruct the instrument panel. And I don’t know if there’s be any potential issues as far as the airbag goes.
It’s incredibly odd for a CEO to make a definitive statement about production and then for silence the year later. That’s how they work now though I guess.

I hope eventually that an adult in leadership prevails and they at least offer retrofit and new cars with round steering wheels offer this and turn signal stalks. But it’s unlikely over the next couple years if ever.

Reactions: KJD and aerodyne
Well, the service manager here said there hardware is definitely not there. So the march 2022 tweet saying all cars from Nov. 2021 onward and the hardware there does seem to be wrong. You'd think Tesla would retract that statement or clarify it at some point.

Well, the service manager here said there hardware is definitely not there. So the march 2022 tweet saying all cars from Nov. 2021 onward and the hardware there does seem to be wrong. You'd think Tesla would retract that statement or clarify it at some point.
Tesla never made that statement. Elon did, and Elon isn't Tesla. Also, Elon is Tesla.

You can email Telsa PR for an official retraction. It will come in the form an automatic 💩 reply, but that’s as good as a retraction. 🤣

Not going to get an argument from me! For a while it was "fine," - but it's clear he's losing the plot, and the X shenanigans haven't helped.
I'm about as early a customer as possible and it's all starting to wear on me. I obviously ordered another Tesla so will see what happens after that. I'm hoping they go the Apple route and get a more boring CEO that can help the company grow and lower the temperature at the company. Maybe they won't innovate as fast but I guess that's the downside of a less erratic CEO.

This Horn thing needs to be fixed ASAP. I can never find it and when I do, it's by accident. Every time I attempt to blow the horn and vear out of a close call, the windshield wipers come on. I never can find that button. So, when you see me driving down the road and an idiot cuts me off and the wipers are on, just know I was once again trying to blow the horn.

This Horn thing needs to be fixed ASAP. I can never find it and when I do, it's by accident. Every time I attempt to blow the horn and vear out of a close call, the windshield wipers come on. I never can find that button. So, when you see me driving down the road and an idiot cuts me off and the wipers are on, just know I was once again trying to blow the horn.
In the mean time, you can put a clear raised plastic button on it. That'll make it easier to find by feel.
Bottle Cap Co. Vintage Epoxy Dot... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EDWQKW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions: teko and terranx
It is a little sad that people are putting 20 cent plastic dots on a $80,000 car to make it functional though. Should give Tesla some clue their design isn’t great.
Some can identify as being a little sad, but thats not my choice. 20 cents, cheapest mod ever. My 2022 MSLR is the best car I've ever owned. Has a hatchback for hauling wood from home depot, luxary ride to take my wife and friends to dinner. It blows away my 355 HP Corvette with 670 HP, very nice!

Last edited:
Either that or you have the auto wipers enabled. The only thing it can't be is it actually raining.
I keep hitting the wrong button. Autowipers, yep, another fun thread.

In the mean time, you can put a clear raised plastic button on it. That'll make it easier to find by feel.
Bottle Cap Co. Vintage Epoxy Dot... Amazon.com
I do like this idea.

Reactions: zoomer0056