Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 leaked by @greentheonly - new cameras coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what rental? First it's likely doable with mobile service... but even if it was not, I haven't been offered a loaner in years-- just Uber credits.

But $1000 a car IS trivial when you consider the fact you have a couple million Teslas on the road that might never buy FSD for $15,000 if there ends up being a development dead end.... but might well buy it for $15,000 (or more) if HW4 FSD eventually works a lot better. Every one of those you sell to, even with a 1k "cost" for HW upgrade, is $14,000 in profit per person.

That's apart from the public image benefits of not cutting off literally all your current customers from those improvements once they reach the separation point from HW3, and avoiding lawsuits from early adopters who aren't getting what they were promised which no upgrade plus feature divergence would be solid evidence of.

Course a few folks have suggested maybe HW4 is more like 3.5 and they're not going to significantly diverge code.... I suppose I could see a scenario like that where there's an eventual HW5 that IS designed to be retroable into all HW2+ cars and that's the one FSD buyers of older vehicles will get upgraded to that actually delivers L4 driving.
@EVNow told you! Shouldn’t have contradicted the head of engineering, finance, logistics and manufacturing of Tesla!

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
I think the title meant no new additional camera positions. It is obvious there are different camera units, but they are in the same positions and there is no additional new position or even a change in position (like for example the rumor of moving some to headlights).
Says "won't include new cameras or updated placements." To me this means all the same cameras in the same places. But I can see how this can be interpreted like you say, and this makes more sense.

I thought I read someone's analysis of the new FSD HW4 computer and the formfactor changed, meaning it won't fit in HW2/3 cars. I don't know if that's true, and we'll have to wait until it's actually released to find out.
This much we already know, unless green is wrong on his tweet (see original post on this thread). Also Elon stated no retrofitting because cost.

The website only calls out the FOV of the B-pillar cameras as per section you quoted at 90 degrees. He's asking instead about repeaters, which the website does not specify. As I mentioned above, I did a calculation based on the diagram and came out to ~75 degrees FOV for those. I can possibly verify on my car when I have the chance, but it's harder for the rear repeaters given they go over the bodywork (so marking the edge of that is more difficult)
You mean the side fender mounted backwards looking cameras? It is not a repeater for forward vision for sure.

Maybe the Semi uses all 12 camera connections for now?
  1. F-SVC (bumper front)
  2. Wide (fisheye forward)
  3. Main (forward)
  4. Spare (narrow forward)
  5. L-SVC (left mirror facing down)
  6. R-SVC (right mirror facing down)
  7. L-FF-Side (left mirror facing left)
  8. R-FF-Side (right mirror facing right)
  9. L-FF-Rear (left mirror facing rear)
  10. R-FF-Rear (right mirror facing rear)
  11. Selfie (interior)
  12. Backup (reverse / trailer)
semi 12 cameras.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Maybe the Semi uses all 12 camera connections for now?
  1. F-SVC (bumper front)
  2. Wide (fisheye forward)
  3. Main (forward)
  4. Spare (narrow forward)
  5. L-SVC (left mirror facing down)
  6. R-SVC (right mirror facing down)
  7. L-FF-Side (left mirror facing left)
  8. R-FF-Side (right mirror facing right)
  9. L-FF-Rear (left mirror facing rear)
  10. R-FF-Rear (right mirror facing rear)
  11. Selfie (interior)
  12. Backup (reverse / trailer)
View attachment 911537
I think main camera assembly is going to be two cameras instead of three.

When I've looked at prototype Semis, I see two front camera housings. One near the bottom of the windshield and one at the top. The one at the bottom is approximately at the same height as existing Tesla vehicles.
Images in this 2017 video:
Showing the Autopilot/Autonomous cameras. Now, shown on the side wings, each wing has a additional camera that I did not show in video. I saw this at another source. It was too dark for my camera to pickup the back facing cameras. So count is up to at least 12 cameras so far for Autopilot, and 2x360* cameras.

When I've looked at prototype Semis, I see two front camera housings
Yes, the prototypes had 2 sets of forward triple-cameras at the top and bottom of the windshield, and they also had small triangular "fins" above and behind the doors probably before these cameras were consolidated to the sideview mirrors after Tesla evaluated which camera positions were necessary and/or acceptable.

I think main camera assembly is going to be two cameras instead of three.
I couldn't find a great picture of how many forward cameras, so I assumed they were like the prototype with 3 and slotted the "unnecessary" narrow/far camera into "Spare." So yes, it could very well be 2 cameras dropping the count to 11 leaving the spare port unused. This is the best view of the delivered Semis showing off the forward cameras, and it does seem like it could be 2:

semi prototype vs delivered.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and DanCar
I posted this picture in a different thread for X delivered with HW4 where the service manual confirmed unused purple and black ports:

hw4-left-jpg.915533

Purple: F-SVC & Spare (2x unused)​
Black: L-SVC & R-SVC (2x unused)​
White: R-FF-Rear & L-FF-Rear (repeaters)​
Blue: Selfie & Wide (dummy in Far housing)​
Black: Main & L-FF-Side & Backup & R-FF-Side (pillars)​

It seems like FSD Beta will need to be supporting multiple vehicle sizes (like HW3 for X vs 3) with slightly different camera positions, multiple camera attributes (HW4 higher resolution and RGGB(?) sensors) as well as above's multiple exterior camera setups (8x with HW3, 7x with current HW4, potentially up to 12x for Semi and Cybertruck).

Potentially to address all this complexity, this might have been what Ashok Elluswamy was hinting at during Tesla AI Day 2022 when he talked about a "weekend project" for Radiance Fields as Vision's Foundational Model. Maybe instead of training the neural networks to predict things from video coming from certain fixed camera positions, an internal representation could be formed from the numerous camera setups, so that Tesla doesn't need to "retrain from scratch" for say the Cybertruck's additional higher resolution cameras in different positions.

This would be quite the architectural change probably worthy of a FSD Beta 12 version bump. Tesla is probably doing something custom for Optimus with the much smaller form factor, but theoretically this unification could bring aligned neural network prediction improvements to vehicle robots, humanoid robots, and probably many other potential vision-based robots too. For example, learning to accurately predict shapes of random objects in a garage is probably useful for Optimus to pick it up or for a vehicle to avoid.