Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually feel pretty bad for the owners in these groups. Many of them were convinced they were doing the right thing, and were led to believe by Toyota that their fueling situation would only get better, not worse. Obviously EVs have a lot of options, so it's hard to create a similar comparison, but if someone frequently traveled up and down I-5 and Tesla turned all of the Superchargers off, it would be similarly frustrating for those owners.

It appears Toyota is currently approving $50/day for rental cars. That on top of the $15k fuel card.. this is a pricey experiment for Toyota.

I take it that this car is leased only in CA. Because it looks like it can be used only in LA and Bay area.

I put in my nearest hydrogen filling station for me residing in the South East. The nearest ones were were Mississauga in Ontario and Riverside California 3000 miles + away.

I doubt that this Mirai experiment will last long. Time to throw in the towel and take the losses as write off.

Reactions: FutureShock
You were ascribing intent to someone else's inconvenience, and doing so in a way that is favorable to your argument. What about those who got into a lease, were told hydrogen filling stations would be more plentiful, and have found that the stations closest to them have no fuel? They're trapped (imprisoned) in a vehicle that is inconvenient and inefficient, and causes them to sink time and energy into driving to fuel them up. But sure, let's just say they're doing it because they love the cars so much. That seems fair to them.
They all have access to free rentals with gas reimbursement. if many of them are still choosing to drive their fuel cell cars, does that tell you something?

Is that a line at the supercharger? Even with those 4-5 cars in line, it doesn't take longer than a supercharger visit with no waiting.;)
May be you can convince these impatient drivers to get an electric car instead and see their reaction to supercharger horror stories? ;)

Last edited:
Well... to be fair... I don't think Tesla would let you out of your lease if electricity was no longer available. Also no one would care as they would have MUCH MUCH bigger problems because electricity is no longer available...
Oh yes. The dreaded PSPS (public service power shutdown) alert has been issued in California! Watch out for furious electric car drivers stranded at random places.:)

They all have access to free rentals. if many of them are still choosing to drive their fuel cell cars, does that tell you something?

Is that a line at the supercharger? Even with those 4-5 cars in line, it doesn't take longer than a supercharger visit with no waiting.;)
May be you can convince these impatient drivers to get an electric car instead and see their reaction to supercharger horror stories? ;)

Unless you have to drive an hour to get there. Or you get there and there's no H2 for hours, or even an entire day.

Oh yes. The dreaded PSPS (public service power shutdown) alert has been issued in California! Watch out for furious electric car drivers stranded at random places.:)

Can you fuel an HFCEV if the power is out?

Anyway PSPS isn't likely to be a problem. Ignore the misleading headlines and read the map.

Haha! That pretty much rules out everyone. Due to net metering, most solar panels are connected to the grid, and will be shutdown when grid has no power.

It's a cost effective option that's readily available on the market, I have it. You would be surprised the number of people that have backup these days. With the wind causing preventative outages regularly now that number is going to increase rapidly.

It's not even that expensive.... it can be added to SMA systems for <$200.

Where the home electrolyzers at?

Oh, btw, you may have missed a couple from the same public Mirai page that you used and I pointed out few days back. You are welcome.
I don't know if we need to cross the names, when these are on a public page anyway. :)
Toyota Mirai - Owners page
pppp.JPG

qqqq.JPG

@mblakele ,
"Can you fuel an HFCEV if the power is out?"
I would guess yes, since gas stations and other important places often have generator/backup power. the liquid H2 stations also have to maintain power to keep it chilled.

Last edited:
Oh, btw, you may have missed this from the same public mirai page that you used and I pointed out few days back. You are welcome.
I don't know if we need to cross the names, when these are on a public page anyway. :)
Toyota Mirai - Owners page
View attachment 463754

So.... because 'only' A LOT of people are unable to drive their Miriai that's somehow a win???? LOL! Glad you're not running the FAA 'To be fair... the vast majority of 737 passengers did not die... '

Why is it so difficult for you to accept reality?

How long before the basics are met? 20 years? 40? H2 in cars makes no sense.

1. >90% of H2 (ALL H2) is sourced from H2O NOT CH4
  2. Connected to #1; Electrolysis is cheap enough to use Surplus Wind or Solar (Operate at a CF <20%)
  3. Connected to #2; >50% of H2 is sourced from SURPLUS wind or solar
  4. Home electrolysis is a thing OR it's a PHEV

Which of these do you think can be skipped and why? Clearly #4 is needed given the state of things.....

The Mirai got nipped in the bud by Tesla. No, not this Tesla but Alexander Tesla when he found a way to produce cheap AC electricity that can be carried long distance.

Alexander, brother of the famous Ronny Tesla?

I have to admit I do not know about either Alexander or Ronny, can you guys enlighten me, please ?
As far as I know AC electricity was pioneered by Nikola Tesla:
Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia

• Funny
Reactions: Kamban
Is that a line at the supercharger? Even with those 4-5 cars in line, it doesn't take longer than a supercharger visit with no waiting.
You clearly didn't read the caption.
They all have access to free rentals with gas reimbursement. if many of them are still choosing to drive their fuel cell cars, does that tell you something?
They're not all getting them. And people bought FCEVs because they mistakenly assumed that they were efficient, "green" vehicles. So many don't want to drive an ICE.
Oh, btw, you may have missed a couple from the same public Mirai page that you used and I pointed out few days back. You are welcome.
That public page is a sad story, and you know it. There are a few defenders, but the majority of the posts are unhappy about their cars and the H2 situation. As one person said, "It was a fun experiment" but they were glad they had their Nissan Leaf to get around. Toyota told another owner they should drive their wife's car. The man was single.
Oh yes. The dreaded PSPS (public service power shutdown) alert has been issued in California! Watch out for furious electric car drivers stranded at random places.
Let's unpack this - hydrogen shortage for months? @Curious George says it's fine. People love their cars, no trouble! A few hours of potential downtime in limited areas of the grid? Furious electric car drivers stranded. These mental gymnastics are mind blowing. I award Olympic Gold!

Well... to be fair... I don't think Tesla would let you out of your lease if electricity was no longer available. Also no one would care as they would have MUCH MUCH bigger problems because electricity is no longer available...
Also, Tesla isn't selling EV's knowing there are only 8 electrical outlets within a 300 mile radius, each of which are on only a portion of the day.

Reactions: JRP3
After reading some of the wailing on the Facebook page I have to ask myself " How can some of the owners of Mirai be so stupid. Have they got no brain cells to do some research and not see that this is not a viable car for anything other than run to the filling station and back". Did the fuel card blind them to the fact that this was a nonsensical purchase and however a tree hugger they might be, this lease or purchase does not make any financial or transportation sense.

I can accept that Hydrogen can be useful for things like city buses like NYC or Chicago that come to one central point once a day and fill up and get going. And the hydrogen station is for the exclusive use of the city buses and kept filled by the supplier. But for individual mom amd pop drivers it makes no sense.to have hydrogen vehicles.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
It tells me they are not able to cancel the lease and return the cars earlier.
Some insistent folks have done exactly that.

They're not all getting them. And people bought FCEVs because they mistakenly assumed that they were efficient, "green" vehicles. So many don't want to drive an ICE.

Let's unpack this - hydrogen shortage for months? @Curious George says it's fine. People love their cars, no trouble! A few hours of potential downtime in limited areas of the grid? Furious electric car drivers stranded. These mental gymnastics are mind blowing. I award Olympic Gold!
They're all getting free rental. What is your proof that some are not? Or are you also one of those here who are making up facts on the fly?
On top of that, there is this, from the top of that page you so keenly follow but were reluctant to post.

credit.JPG

The power shutdown can be up to 7 days. PG&E isn't going to bother with alerts for a few hour shut down.
" At 10:15 a.m. on October 7th, 2019 Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) notified 29 counties in Northern California of a potential power shut off starting at midnight Wednesday October 9th and extending until approximately 9:00 a.m. on Thursday October 10th (33 hour duration). "

After reading some of the wailing on the Facebook page I have to ask myself " How can some of the owners of Mirai be so stupid. Have they got no brain cells to do some research and not see that this is not a viable car for anything other than run to the filling station and back". Did the fuel card blind them to the fact that this was a nonsensical purchase and however a tree hugger they might be, this lease or purchase does not make any financial or transportation sense.
IDK. You can ask that question to the "I love my tesla but" crowd on this forum, who have their cars stuck in service centers while they drive crappy old gas cars or Teslas. How about a credit for the monthly lease payments for them?;)

Last edited: