Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai Ioniq 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The videos on this looked fantastic! Convinced me to put a reservation in as I am stuck in Model S limbo.

In particular, the V2L system was a real killer feature for me over the Y. I think the design and autonomous lane changing are nice and make it feel modern rather than just a hack job.

This was the video that sold me on the car:

Count me in as someone who doesn't care that much about range. We have 2 Tesla's and only need one car that can go over 100 miles. Certainly 240 vs 320 doesn't really matter to me. Now - it would be hard to pay more than a Tesla and get a sub 200 range but if there was a cost savings, that is a different story.
Another factor right now is that Tesla is relatively mature and resale is likely higher than a EV coming from Hyundai that might be discontinued a year later and no comparable vehicle that shares parts.

Reactions: HumanInput
Count me in as someone who doesn't care that much about range. We have 2 Tesla's and only need one car that can go over 100 miles - so when looking to replace my 2015, I don't need a long range car. Certainly 240 vs 320 doesn't really matter to me. Now - it would be hard to pay more than a Tesla and get a sub 200 range but if there was a cost savings, that is a different story.
Another factor right now is that Tesla is relatively mature and resale is likely higher than a EV coming from Hyundai that might be discontinued a year later and no comparable vehicle that shares parts.

I think the Ioniq 5 looks great and would meet all my requirements for a car. I’d value the hatchback practicality over my Model 3 in particular. The only thing preventing me going for it is the Tesla supercharger network vs 3rd party network in the UK. And I don’t even use it that much as 90% of my driving is covered via the home charger. Maybe, I shouldn’t worry about it so much.

Reactions: HumanInput
I think the Ioniq 5 looks great and would meet all my requirements for a car. I’d value the hatchback practicality over my Model 3 in particular. The only thing preventing me going for it is the Tesla supercharger network vs 3rd party network in the UK. And I don’t even use it that much as 90% of my driving is covered via the home charger. Maybe, I shouldn’t worry about it so much.
I watch a lot of the RSymons videos on YouTube and the charger networks in the UK seem to really be maturing, no? :)

Count me in as someone who doesn't care that much about range. We have 2 Tesla's and only need one car that can go over 100 miles. Certainly 240 vs 320 doesn't really matter to me. Now - it would be hard to pay more than a Tesla and get a sub 200 range but if there was a cost savings, that is a different story.
True, I don't know if I'd get it over a Model Y at the same price, but it's a close call. This one would also already have the EV incentive, whereas a Tesla order you'd need to wait for that to pass first.

The V2L when thinking about camping with the car just seems so great. I wonder if the IONIQ has a camping mode, or if you need to keep the car running in neutral like the Audi e-tron GT.

I watch a lot of the RSymons videos on YouTube and the charger networks in the UK seem to really be maturing, no? :)

Yes, improving all the time but not enough yet. I do fairly regular drives up to Scotland from South Wales, a 375 mile trip each way. Not that long really but I find that the simplicity and reliability of the Tesla charging network and the ease of sat nav integration to schedule a charge stop, is a real benefit when I make those trips. The thought of having to sign up to multiple alternative providers puts me off alternative EVs at the moment. But by the time the warranty is up on my Model 3 in a couple of years, I will certainly consider alternatives such as the Ioniq 5 as the network is bound to be better by then.

Yes. I love my Model 3. But wish some things were "normal". Headlights, glovebox, windshield wipers, etc. Those things should not require going through a bunch of menus.

I would add internal door levers to this list. The switch / button approach confuses everyone that gets into my Model 3. And Id prefer a mechanical lever for safety reasons also. I know there is an additional lever for the front doors but it all seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

They eventually learn how to push the button to open the door, right? I think Tesla started putting little graphics on the door button.

I would add internal door levers to this list. The switch / button approach confuses everyone that gets into my Model 3. And Id prefer a mechanical lever for safety reasons also. I know there is an additional lever for the front doors but it all seems unnecessarily complicated to me.