Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai vs. Tesla | Why Hyundai Poses the Biggest EV Threat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...If they are so innovative and high quality, why the US doesn't allow any Chinese made cars (by Chinese company) here?...
They are not blocked from selling here. They are not here yet because of tariffs and that they are selling all they can build in China. When they have ramped production more and if tariffs are eased, they will be here with a vengeance. They are already starting in Europe where tariffs are lower.

...@patmurphey have to disagree. Current icon is a '74 Z. Fine car. It wasn't my first Datsun (well actually the first was my wife's). Next one was a '78 Datsun 510 wagon. Eventually had a bit of rust but heck it had 300,000 miles on it. And only 1 head gasket.
My statement was exactly correct for when Japanese cars first turned up.

BTW, my 1971 Porsche 914-6 was an embarrassment to Z owners who didn't know what it was at a traffic light.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Anothergeek
...And here I thought the 914 was a vokswagen
They made a small number of them assembled in the Porsche Stuttgart factory with 911T six-cylinder drive train reversed in the rear and all suspension components from the 911. No obvious difference from the outside except a more level stance and 911 5 lug wheels. (Mine was this color.)

IMG_0004+11186807712[1].jpg

A little off subject fun for car people...

Reactions: wws and tm1v2
worked with a another irish 914 owner at AT&T. I think it was the late '70s. Jim O'Malley. His was a pumpkin orange.

Not surprising a porch could outrun a Z though. Normally aspirated 2.6 inline 6. Mine was really crawling at 120mph. Don't know about the 300zx. Never took it that fast and it was heavy to begin with and as a convertible it was even heavier. I think its 1-60 as maybe 6.3 or someting 50% slower than a run of the mill MY.

Even though EV growth has been large worldwide, the numbers stated by BYD were misleading because if they only sold 10% of Tesla’s sales, it means that for the larger population in China, it’s pretty weak. The point is to get more EVs sold worldwide to bring down unit cost. Until we get more plants in the US to make the vehicles, the costs will be higher due to freight.

As opposed to a US made Nikola Badger? Lordstown Endurance? An Elio?

Would you prefer a Bolt (that catches fire) maybe? Mach-E (with a contactor issue)?

Which phone are you using? Motorola? iPhone?
Nikola, Lordstown Elio ??? they don't exist. so don't care.
I buy Tesla because GM/Ford sucks.
Apple is NOT Chinese company.
Who owns Motorola these days? Motorola has been out of most people's memory long time ago anyway, so no one cares.

Nikola, Lordstown Elio ??? they don't exist. so don't care.
I buy Tesla because GM/Ford sucks.
Apple is NOT Chinese company.
Who owns Motorola these days? Motorola has been out of most people's memory long time ago anyway, so no one cares.
As others have mentioned, how about Volvo? Lotus? Pirelli?

Point is, compare like with like. There's a lot of "sugar" happening here as well.

Don't dismiss China that easily, especially if you own TSLA, or you might get blindsided.

As others have mentioned, how about Volvo? Lotus? Pirelli?

Point is, compare like with like. There's a lot of "sugar" happening here as well.

Don't dismiss China that easily, especially if you own TSLA, or you might get blindsided.
You still don't get my point.
I am talking about the Chinese founded/started companies in China (some big ones are owned by Chinese government). I am not talking about the companies that Chinese companies have shares or bought. (They will eventually get impacted by the Chinese cultures and mindset of doing business that I mentioned previously. Also, Chinese companies are dictated by (or some owned by) the Chinese government.
I don't dismiss China at all. They are the enemy and #1 threat to the US, and we should put a lot of effort to protect everything we have and American lives.

You still don't get my point.
I am talking about the Chinese founded/started companies in China (some big ones are owned by Chinese government). I am not talking about the companies that Chinese companies have shares or bought. (They will eventually get impacted by the Chinese cultures and mindset of doing business that I mentioned previously. Also, Chinese companies are dictated by (or some owned by) the Chinese government.
I don't dismiss China at all. They are the enemy and #1 threat to the US, and we should put a lot of effort to protect everything we have and American lives.
You're making my point. You're painting with a broad brush not a point.

Reactions: NotForResale
I didn't read through all 5 pages here but the Genesis EV6 is a very strong argument against the Model Y. The Hyundai Ionic5 as well!

If I wasn't so dead set on performance I'd prolly get one of those.
What kind of performance are you looking for? The Ioniq5 can go 0-60 in less than 5. I don't notice negative hanging experiences with it compared to my MS, but I'm not a good judge of handling usually.

What kind of performance are you looking for? The Ioniq5 can go 0-60 in less than 5. I don't notice negative hanging experiences with it compared to my MS, but I'm not a good judge of handling usually.

The I5 and EV6 handle very well for crossovers but the Model Y handles better...especially because its sprung pretty stiffly. However, the I5 and EV6 have very supple and forgiving suspensions with excellent ride quality...the Model Y isn't really all that comfortable as a crossover ( I hear the latest versions are better though). I think all 3 handle poorly vs. my M3P but that is expected. If you want handling, the Model 3 and S are better platforms for that.

If you want the compromise of a true performance SUV though, Model Y and Mach E are really the only game in town. The I5 and EV6 would get smoked especially from a highway roll.