Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am really sick of hearing you all cry about trunk / storage space in the 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
We all have our issues with the Model 3, largely due to Tesla not telling us anything, to keep their S and X sales going until the last possible minute. But one thing that really irritates me is everyone who is crying, whining, grumbling, wailing, bellyaching, sniveling, bitching, and moaning about the lack or perceived lack of storage space, and the trunk not being big enough.

If storage is really that important for you, get a 15 passenger van or pickup truck. The Model 3 is not for you.

We all have our issues with the Model 3, largely due to Tesla not telling us anything, to keep their S and X sales going until the last possible minute. But one thing that really irritates me is everyone who is crying, whining, grumbling, wailing, bellyaching, sniveling, bitching, and moaning about the lack or perceived lack of storage space, and the trunk not being big enough.

If storage is really that important for you, get a 15 passenger van or pickup truck. The Model 3 is not for you.
Can I complain about the frunk space in the Model S refresh? I don't have the D option nor the HEPA filter, so why is my frunk so tiny???

agree...people expect a mini s model for 1/2-1/3 the price.Laughable. If a trunk makes you nOT buy a car thats just lame...Anyone with a brain at this stage of the game will not even buy an s yet untill the 3 IS OUT AND TEST DRIVEABLE.

agree...people expect a mini s model for 1/2-1/3 the price.Laughable. If a trunk makes you nOT buy a car thats just lame...Anyone with a brain at this stage of the game will not even buy an s yet untill the 3 IS OUT AND TEST DRIVEABLE.

Yes. I can tell you now what the Tesla Q3 sales numbers will be when they announce it in October or so. They will be down significantly. Because people will be holding off on S purchases to investigate the 3, but the 3 production will not yet be up to full speed, so not many 3 deliveries. YET. But not long after, Q4 numbers will be good.

Can I complain about the frunk space in the Model S refresh? I don't have the D option nor the HEPA filter, so why is my frunk so tiny???

I was thinking the other day that they should offer an "expanded frunk" option for the Model S that makes it close to the same size as the original Model S RWD frunk. Nearly everyone would get it, and it would be an easy way to make a couple hundred bucks more on every Model S!

I never complained about it on TMC, but the trunk design of the Model 3 was probably the biggest reason we decided to seek out a CPO Model S instead of keeping our day 0 reservation. Let me just put it this way: Tesla managed to decrease the cargo volume to the same as a Ford Fiesta sedan (which gets poor ratings for cargo volume), but the Model 3 is a foot longer. How'd they manage such an inefficient use of space, especially when they cut out so many parts from an ICE vehicle? Our Tesla (of either variety) is replacing a Prius, which has one of the best uses of cargo space out there, and is basically our benchmark. Honestly the Prius is not a "large vehicle" but it's very space efficient. Model 3 is 9 inches longer but has less cargo volume (not to mention the lack of hatch). The Model S is unfortunately 20 inches longer than the Prius, but at least it has more space instead of less!

Not sure where we would have landed had we not found a CPO Model S in the fire sale that was basically the same price as a Model 3 (with predicted upgrade option costs).

I never complained about it on TMC, but the trunk design of the Model 3 was probably the biggest reason we decided to seek out a CPO Model S instead of keeping our day 0 reservation. Let me just put it this way: Tesla managed to decrease the cargo volume to the same as a Ford Fiesta sedan (which gets poor ratings for cargo volume), but the Model 3 is a foot longer. How'd they manage such an inefficient use of space, especially when they cut out so many parts from an ICE vehicle? Our Tesla (of either variety) is replacing a Prius, which has one of the best uses of cargo space out there, and is basically our benchmark. Honestly the Prius is not a "large vehicle" but it's very space efficient. Model 3 is 9 inches longer but has less cargo volume (not to mention the lack of hatch). The Model S is unfortunately 20 inches longer than the Prius, but at least it has more space instead of less!

Not sure where we would have landed had we not found a CPO Model S in the fire sale that was basically the same price as a Model 3 (with predicted upgrade option costs).

How much space were you expecting in the M3 frunk?

Tesla managed to decrease the cargo volume to the same as a Ford Fiesta sedan (which gets poor ratings for cargo volume), but the Model 3 is a foot longer. How'd they manage such an inefficient use of space, especially when they cut out so many parts from an ICE vehicle?

My take on it is that The Model 3 has a massive cabin. It is speculated to be a similar cabin size as the Model S; given that the Model 3 is about a foot shorter than the S and not a lift back, front and rear cargo space is sacrificed as well as the space above the 'parcel shelf' which is considered cabin space in the 3, but cargo space in the Model S, the Prius, the Fiesta, etc.

I would guess that the Ford Fiesta has a far smaller cabin than the Model 3. If I were given the choice, I would take the Model 3 proportions any day. It is easy to add on cargo space (roof rack with box, hitch-mounted box, bags upon the parcel shelf, etc.) than it is to add people space. This will be my family's only car (currently 4 people, perhaps 5 some day) and we will be good for all road trips I presume.

I would call that very efficient use of space. We'll have to see how it 'feels' once these things start rolling in volume. Very excited for that!