Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am really sick of hearing you all cry about trunk / storage space in the 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the assumption is that the M3 trades trunk space for rear seat space? How do we know?

@CmaxVs - @elonmusk Thx for #Model3 ! Why small trunk lid instead of big hatchback like S&X? I ride a bike not a surfboard :)
AElonmusk - @CmaxVs Only way to get enough rear passenger headroom was to move the rear roof cross-car support beam. A bike will still fit no problem. (April 3rd 2016)

Most of the M3 will be awesome, but a few things will not be as good as the car that you currently own or want. I know I'll lose some trunk space compared to my Prius, but I expected that, knowing the kind of car the M3 is, and happy that I'm making an informed decision. You can't have everything in life, get used to disappointment.

A comment here and there?

I must be missing it. According to the OP it seems to be constant and flooding the forum. But it isn't.

What's worse are thread titles to get clicks that aren't really true.

Okay folks I did a forum-wide search looking for the flood of comments related to trunk space and guess what, most results point to @timk225's posts trying to make mountains out of molehills at the slightest chance anyone mentions interior space or anything related to that topic. So it seems it was not enough trying to promote self interests at every opportunity that it became necessary to start a separate thread to get everyone fired up.

The Model 3 design is done folks and the first cars will go out soon. We can either waste our brain cycles arguing about issues that don't exist or enjoy & discuss the EV revolution that Model 3 is bringing - pick your choice.

Reactions: SageBrush and Runt8
The Model 3 design is done folks

Not for those of us with metal cutting tools.

1-weird.png

Most of the M3 will be awesome, but a few things will not be as good as the car that you currently own or want. I know I'll lose some trunk space compared to my Prius, but I expected that, knowing the kind of car the M3 is, and happy that I'm making an informed decision. You can't have everything in life, get used to disappointment.

Speak for yourself - no disappointment with the 3 here! We currently drive an Acura ILX that features 12.3 cu ft of trunk space. It's our only car, and we're generally able to carry 1-3 adults sorta-comfortably, a Nuna Rava car seat (w/21 month-old), Nuna Mixx stroller in the trunk, diaper bag, and several groceries/other shopping bags (strategically placed mind you). When we go to Costco 1-2 times a month, the stroller stays home and we're able to fit everything just fine.

For moving or hauling large stuff once or twice a year, we've always either simply used a family member's truck or rented a truck/van at Home Depot for like $20/75 minutes.

Thrilled to be moving from a tiny ICE car to a slightly bigger, super sexy EV.

I'm resigned to the Model 3 not having the utility of a hatch, but I hope it will be possible to fold down one rear seat for good pass-through access to the trunk while leaving one rear seat for a passenger. That would be pretty functional and meet the lion's share of my uses.

Reactions: Weezer Fan
In the US, trucks outsell sedans and sedans outsell hatchbacks.
Name one other country with that sale distribution... ;-)
Most of the world drives fewer cars, so cars get to go all tasks. Without a spare van or pickup in the driveway, in many cases people just take a hatchback or wagon, at least in my neck of the woods. So easy to toss cars in the back. Why would a 2017 Model 3 be so much more clumsy with luggage than my beloved (RIP) 1991 Mazda 323F?

I also consider Model S a huge hatchback. Beats me why a truely restrictive sedan would be what people want most.

Name one other country with that sale distribution... ;-)
Most of the world drives fewer cars, so cars get to go all tasks. Without a spare van or pickup in the driveway, in many cases people just take a hatchback or wagon, at least in my neck of the woods. So easy to toss cars in the back. Why would a 2017 Model 3 be so much more clumsy with luggage than my beloved (RIP) 1991 Mazda 323F?

I also consider Model S a huge hatchback. Beats me why a truely restrictive sedan would be what people want most.

Restrictive? Having a slightly smaller trunk space than the model S (a much bigger car) is hardly restrictive. Personally, I drive a hatchback now (a Pontiac vibe that thanks to connections to Toyota will not die no matter how much I want it to) and I won't miss the space much.

If you must have a hatchback, you probably want the model Y. The model 3 cannot be all things to all people. If you want an EV hatchback, that's pretty much every other EV on the market.

How can you know that at this point, given that the car (especially its interior), its specs, and its pricing/options haven't actually been released/announced yet?

Isn't it more accurate to say that you have no disappointment with the Model 3 that you are presuming will be released?
LOL - I'm confident enough in Elon, Tesla, sedans, and what I've seen of the Model 3 thus far to say that the 3 has already impressed me.