Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am really sick of hearing you all cry about trunk / storage space in the 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without a spare van or pickup in the driveway, in many cases people just take a hatchback or wagon, at least in my neck of the woods. So easy to toss cars in the back.
Again that's regional too

for-transporting-a-lot-of-ducks-a-motorcycle-works.jpg

Since there are more Teslas sold in the US vs any other country, it's best to satisfy your customer base. I'm sure there will be more models soon and perhaps the Model Y fulfills people's needs.

I'm resigned to the Model 3 not having the utility of a hatch, but I hope it will be possible to fold down one rear seat for good pass-through access to the trunk while leaving one rear seat for a passenger. That would be pretty functional and meet the lion's share of my uses.

The backseat should fold down otherwise not sure how the bike will fit.

Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2017-7-18_15-30-50.png

Very timely thread. Yesterday, while raising the Model S hatch and putting grocery bags in the deep recessed area of the trunk without hitting my head, I thought: Would I really want to give this up for Model 3?

The answer is simple. Wait for a test drive and bring along some items to place in the trunk.

Very timely thread. Yesterday, while raising the Model S hatch and putting grocery bags in the deep recessed area of the trunk without hitting my head, I thought: Would I really want to give this up for Model 3?
Or just draw a 30 degree line on the wall in your bedroom and make sure you can bend that much each morning before you head to the kitchen.

• Funny
Reactions: kbM3 and EinSV
Rumors say it's a standard 60/40 split.

That configuration would be just fine. We'll see if this time Musk can find a manufacturer capable of making second row seating.

Or just draw a 30 degree line on the wall in your bedroom and make sure you can bend that much each morning before you head to the kitchen.

Pre-coffee that is expecting too much.

Can I complain about the frunk space in the Model S refresh? I don't have the D option nor the HEPA filter, so why is my frunk so tiny???
Cost and efficiency optimization.

More details...
My recollection is that the HEPA filter change was the straw -- Tesla finally got tired of having different configurations for the frunk region, choosing to simplify to a single design.
Tesla Model S Refresh Details: New Front Fascia, HEPA Filtration, Charger Upgrade, Colors

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day that they should offer an "expanded frunk" option for the Model S that makes it close to the same size as the original Model S RWD frunk. Nearly everyone would get it, and it would be an easy way to make a couple hundred bucks more on every Model S!
I use my frunk for taking fast food or anything that gives off odors to try to prevent the cabin from smelling. The small frunk makes picking up pizzas a bit problematic. I had a friend ask me to pick up a pizza for him on the way to visit him, and when I showed up to the pizzeria it turned out he ordered four pizzas. I had to put them vertically in the frunk to fit. Luckily my friends were already drunk by the time I showed up and didn't realize. If I had the original sized frunk it would not be an issue.

Then a Chevy Bolt is the PERFECT car for you.
Seriously.
You've exactly described it.
It's got a very compact footprint, but a lot of interior space for its size.
Forget about the 3 and get yourself a Bolt.

I'd rather have a damn sexy sports sedan, but that's just me.

Model S has a hatch and it's sexy.

And the Bolt lacks the Supercharger network, which is basically a deal-breaker for me.

Model S has a hatch and it's sexy.

The hatch wasn't Tesla's problem, it was rear seat head height. Musk wanted a glass roof option on the 3, and he wanted to fix a problem of inadequate back seat access for a particular Chinese demographic.

Ironically they did not design the model 3 for the typical use of the majority of today's reservation holders. An unusual move, but it should work out O.K.

The answer is simple. Wait for a test drive and bring along some items to place in the trunk.
With the Model 3 rear motor supposedly moved to in front of the rear axle, could the recessed aera be...longer, as in reach more forward? They did this to free up trunk space sacrificing battery volume, so let's see the result!

And the Bolt lacks the Supercharger network, which is basically a deal-breaker for me.
Realistically this is not a deal breaker for most people who can charge at home. With the DC fast charger option you can still get 90 miles in 30 minutes. It all depends how often you travel and how far. For me and my travels I'd probably need 30 minutes worth of DC fast charging and with a Model 3 it'd be less than half that (assuming there's a supercharger). It's not a deal breaker by any means.

Realistically this is not a deal breaker for most people who can charge at home. With the DC fast charger option you can still get 90 miles in 30 minutes. It all depends how often you travel and how far. For me and my travels I'd probably need 30 minutes worth of DC fast charging and with a Model 3 it'd be less than half that (assuming there's a supercharger). It's not a deal breaker by any means.
Have you looked at a map of CCS chargers? I'm not even sure I could reliably drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas with the current state of CCS/CHAdeMO fast chargers.

We all have our issues with the Model 3, largely due to Tesla not telling us anything, to keep their S and X sales going until the last possible minute. But one thing that really irritates me is everyone who is crying, whining, grumbling, wailing, bellyaching, sniveling, bitching, and moaning about the lack or perceived lack of storage space, and the trunk not being big enough.

If storage is really that important for you, get a 15 passenger van or pickup truck. The Model 3 is not for you.
There is never a shortage of people complaining. It sounds like you yourself just found something new to complain about - congrats! :p

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8
Theoretically, but what are the odds there is a DC fast charger on your route?

Have you looked at a map of CCS chargers? I'm not even sure I could reliably drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas with the current state of CCS/CHAdeMO fast chargers.

Check plugshare with a Bolt's range you could charge in Victorville, CA.
Also I live in Indy, there are plenty of charging stations around. Keep in mind superchargers are not everywhere yet either. There are still vast stretches of nothingness. If GM was serious, they'd put charging stations at every dealership.