Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am refusing delivery of my CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can anyone sell Tesla warranties when only Tesla can work on a Tesla.

Is Tesla going to allow Carmax to sell ESA on Tesla's?, if so that's pretty awesome.

As stated, it wouldn’t be a Tesla warranty. We had a CarMax warranty on a Honda Accord that had its transmission die. Took it to the Honda dealer, and CarMax paid them directly after the deductible. In theory, Tesla shouldn’t care at all - they are still getting paid for the work. The question will be if Tesla can figure out how to handle the billing to 3rd party warranty companies or if the owner will have to make the claim themselves.

Reactions: mdevp and dhrivnak
What Tesla can do is to offer some discounted bodywork. or even a coupon to the body shop. It is hard for the average consumer to swallow a used car at $70K in this kind of exterior condition. You can argue the car brand new is $130K. People who buy and sells cars will know at what price, a car in this condition is a good deal. The average joe won't. A comparison to similar luxury brand CPO is instantaneous for the average joe.

Carmax warranties you can take to a dealer if they have an agreement in place ..I have a neighbor who bought Lexus from car max but gets warranty repair from Lexus dealership

I can’t comment about the USA, but in Australia the dealer will always have that stuff repaired before putting it up for sale. Those that take in different brands from their own will on sell to a used car dealer who do the same. Even those that end up in auctions will have been cosmetically fixed. No one here will buy a car that looks “used”.
What did the previous owner do to that thing? Scratches in places cars usually don’t get scratched, paint chips everywhere. My 3.5 year old 60000 km car looks showroom by comparison. I have indeed done road trips with it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: glewis83186
@WISluggo,

If you order a Model 3 P now, Tesla estimates that it will be delivered within 1 to 3 months. You still get $7,500 tax credits for deliveries until the end of this year. Compared to the Model S P85D, you get more range, similar performance, better Autopilot and better track performance. A new Model 3 P with autopilot costs $70,000 - $7,500= $62,500. I'm surprised you were considering buying a nosecone Model S. The nosecone was discontinued in April 2016.

I can’t see the photos, the link just hangs.

But from the description it sounds like the damage was more than what would be considered “normal wear and tear” for a four-year old vehicle.

I bought my CPO when Tesla was still fixing cosmetic damage. They didn’t always get those fixes perfect, but I expected a three- year old car with 32K to have some stone chips and other minor issues. The worst damage was not from stone chips but from where a sticker was clumsily removed from the tailgate, then fixed with touch-up paint.

But my car was a lease return, and I knew that because of Carfax.

Tesla’s process does suck in that there is no transparency or disclosure. Photos online are stock photos, requests for photos (clicking the button) aren’t always fulfilled, and when they are, the are frequently in poor lighting conditions and still do not show much.

So the whole process becomes a roll of the dice. To WISluggo, I hope your deposit can be transferred to another CPO and your rejected car didn’t come with a $2K delivery fee.

Reactions: davidc18
@WISluggo,

If you order a Model 3 P now, Tesla estimates that it will be delivered within 1 to 3 months. You still get $7,500 tax credits for deliveries until the end of this year. Compared to the Model S P85D, you get more range, similar performance, better Autopilot and better track performance. A new Model 3 P with autopilot costs $70,000 - $7,500= $62,500. I'm surprised you were considering buying a nosecone Model S. The nosecone was discontinued in April 2016.
But the model 3 is not that attractive in my opinion.

I can’t see the photos, the link just hangs.

But from the description it sounds like the damage was more than what would be considered “normal wear and tear” for a four-year old vehicle.

I bought my CPO when Tesla was still fixing cosmetic damage. They didn’t always get those fixes perfect, but I expected a three- year old car with 32K to have some stone chips and other minor issues. The worst damage was not from stone chips but from where a sticker was clumsily removed from the tailgate, then fixed with touch-up paint.

But my car was a lease return, and I knew that because of Carfax.

Tesla’s process does suck in that there is no transparency or disclosure. Photos online are stock photos, requests for photos (clicking the button) aren’t always fulfilled, and when they are, the are frequently in poor lighting conditions and still do not show much.

So the whole process becomes a roll of the dice. To WISluggo, I hope your deposit can be transferred to another CPO and your rejected car didn’t come with a $2K delivery fee.

Actually they have been better about the $1k deposit. I was offered a full refund

@WISluggo, what was the price when you placed your deposit? I'm curious what the car will re-list for, and we can track to see how much it eventually sells for.

I'm also shopping for a used or CPO MS - sorting by largest discount or listing date on ev-cpo can give you a good idea of the cars that are likely to be in worse shape cosmetically.

I'm considering factoring the cost of Autoflex into my purchase if I go CPO. That way exterior color matters less, and I can customize it. Any vehicle I've been sent pictures of had paint flaws, but I do value the warranty on higher mileage cars. On the vehicle you refused, they don't seem to be major - I didn't notice dings or dents that would need actual body work, but each buyer is entitled to their own standards.

Reactions: P85_DA
@WISluggo, what was the price when you placed your deposit? I'm curious what the car will re-list for, and we can track to see how much it eventually sells for.

I'm also shopping for a used or CPO MS - sorting by largest discount or listing date on ev-cpo can give you a good idea of the cars that are likely to be in worse shape cosmetically.

I'm considering factoring the cost of Autoflex into my purchase if I go CPO. That way exterior color matters less, and I can customize it. Any vehicle I've been sent pictures of had paint flaws, but I do value the warranty on higher mileage cars. On the vehicle you refused, they don't seem to be major - I didn't notice dings or dents that would need actual body work, but each buyer is entitled to their own standards.
It was right at $68 and had been sitting on the site for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Bro i'm NOT trying to start an argument with you cause theres always one person who feels like there comments most be heard more than others....This man is probably feeling super let down at the moment and the last thing I would want is people arguing over something stupid instead of the overall issue....I did state if YOU are okay with buying that MS then go for it but I wouldn't waste my time as little a damage as it may seem. I knew the moment I put in Mercedes or BMW basically anything but Tesla there would be that one person saying something about it. 70 point inspection or NOT I would of done the same thing and refused that car. Again NOT trying to start and argument with you JUST stating MY own opinion.

Thank you so much for posting this. It seems that some people think that just because a car is 3 years old, it should look all beaten up. The only reason a 3 year old car may look like it came from a junk yard is because it was abused. Notwithstanding the "70 point inspection," I completely understand how customers have the expectation to receive a quality used car when they buy the car directly from Tesla. This is especially so when they don;t disclose the condition of the car on the listing.

We too would have refused the car delivered to the OP. It looks like the car needs entire body panels repainted.

What Tesla can do is to offer some discounted bodywork. or even a coupon to the body shop. It is hard for the average consumer to swallow a used car at $70K in this kind of exterior condition. You can argue the car brand new is $130K. People who buy and sells cars will know at what price, a car in this condition is a good deal. The average joe won't. A comparison to similar luxury brand CPO is instantaneous for the average joe.

Or they should just hire anyone who runs the CPO program for any other car manufacturer, as every car dealer and car manufacturer seems to have figured out how to sell quality used car in great condition, make a bunch of profit, and most importantly do business in a transparent and reasonable way and make customers happy.

The way Tesla sells these cars is the opposite of making customers happy when they deliver badly beaten up cars.

Reactions: davidc18

That's what we thought too but not really. From the photos we have seen, the prices have little correlation to the condition of the car. Basically they list cars overpriced and then they reduce the cost of the car by about $600 every day.

The stories are true, the quality of the CPOs and the process leaves something to be desired. I put a deposit down on P78184 which I knew had cosmetic damage to the driver's mirror and lots of damage to the rims. However, the delivery team sent pictures yesterday that showed lots of rock chips and scratches over trunk, bumpers, and back pillars.

Quality of the vehicle aside, the entire process felt like I was the one having to manage all of the steps along the way. I know the team is working hard on improving the experience, but coughing up $70K or so for something that looks like this was too much for me to handle.

I tried adding all of the pics to this dropbox folder. Let me know if the link works

Dropbox - New folder - Simplify your life

At least it's clean inside, we have seen way, way worse on this forum.

Still sucks that they don't put up pictures before, so that you can brows through the cars and select the one you think is worth it.

Seems like a sleazy car salesman tactic. First get you interested by not getting you the full information and then disclose the damage just before you buy it, so that you won't back out again.

Or they should just hire anyone who runs the CPO program for any other car manufacturer, as every car dealer and car manufacturer seems to have figured out how to sell quality used car in great condition, make a bunch of profit, and most importantly do business in a transparent and reasonable way and make customers happy.

The way Tesla sells these cars is the opposite of making customers happy when they deliver badly beaten up cars.

They did, they hired a guy from Carmax. He is now gone but only last about a year. Kevin Lorell

Our Team | Roadster

Last edited: