Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drive a 370z now and want a M3. On Paper 0-60 is same. Driving it was intertesting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my local dealer had a lame test drive loop. I drove a LR models. I mashed the gas a few times and it was quick but felt slower. I am not used to EVs and my 370z is loud plus the whole gear shifting thing I think it was the same.....

Much more smooth and quieter.

I'm wondering if i should go for the AWD as it's spec'ed quicker...the performance is much more $$ so not an option IMO.

it's funny as a kid i always wanted a car that didn't slow down when I turned the AC on. My things have changed.

my local dealer had a lame test drive loop. I drove a LR models. I mashed the gas a few times and it was quick but felt slower. I am not used to EVs and my 370z is loud plus the whole gear shifting thing I think it was the same.....

I'm wondering if i should go for the AWD as it's spec'ed quicker...the performance is much more $$ so not an option IMO.

it's funny as a kid i always wanted a car that didn't slow down when I turned the AC on. My things have changed.

I know what you mean about it feeling slower than a 370Z. The thing is, the M3 is about the same, but the acceleration is constant, whereas with the stick shift, you are accelerating really fast, split second pause, slow, then fast accerlation, pause, repeat, etc.

Because the M3 has constant accerlation without the pauses and ramp ups, it comes out the same, but it doesn’t feel as fast.

I suspect the performance model 3 would feel faster.

Definitely different ride. The 370Z is a true sports car that hugs the road. I don’t know if the Model 3 can compete in that regard.

The experience is different. With a stick shift ICE car, when you want maximum acceleration you first need to mentally calculate the gear that will work best, push in the clutch and adjust RPMs to match that gear being selected. Then you let out the clutch while mashing the gas. This will give you noise, sudden acelleration and a jolt to the drive line pushing the car forward.

With EV the experience is much different. You simply apply more pedal and the car produces more torque seamlessly. You are moved forward like the ICE, but without the drama. Some are hooked on the drama and want that experience, but the end result is far better with the EV>

For street driving you find yourself much more in command of where you can position the vehicle. A bonus is that none of the cars around you have any idea how easily you moved up into that open slot ahead of you : >)

I know what you mean about it feeling slower than a 370Z. The thing is, the M3 is about the same, but the acceleration is constant, whereas with the stick shift, you are accelerating really fast, split second pause, slow, then fast accerlation, pause, repeat, etc.

Because the M3 has constant accerlation without the pauses and ramp ups, it comes out the same, but it doesn’t feel as fast.

I suspect the performance model 3 would feel faster.

Definitely different ride. The 370Z is a true sports car that hugs the road. I don’t know if the Model 3 can compete in that regard.
I don’t know man. The model 3 equipped with proper tires is a true sport car as well. I have seen the RWD compared to a Porsche 718 boxter which is definitelty a better sports car than the old 370z

Reactions: dhrivnak
The experience is different. With a stick shift ICE car, when you want maximum acceleration you first need to mentally calculate the gear that will work best, push in the clutch and adjust RPMs to match that gear being selected. Then you let out the clutch while mashing the gas. This will give you noise, sudden acelleration and a jolt to the drive line pushing the car forward.

With EV the experience is much different. You simply apply more pedal and the car produces more torque seamlessly. You are moved forward like the ICE, but without the drama. Some are hooked on the drama and want that experience, but the end result is far better with the EV>

For street driving you find yourself much more in command of where you can position the vehicle. A bonus is that none of the cars around you have any idea how easily you moved up into that open slot ahead of you : >)
The cops probably love the drama better too..

Reactions: dhrivnak and MXWing

You should go for the AWD. The Performance is very nice to own, but it does cost more for what it has to offer. Don't regret for spending on something you could technically afford, so get the AWD. Pre-Tesla Model 3 Performance, I drove a 2006 Acura RSX Type S. Turning on the AC was a performance hit on the 4 banger. The RPM would drop faster when shifting gears and I know some power is lost to the AC running. I agree, now I don't have to worry much about the AC sucking some performance. Now I just need to focus on smashing down on the accelerator pedal and get pushed back into the chair. Love it every time I do it and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. :)

I have a 370z, it's difficult to get the Z to go faster unless you have perfect launches and perfect pavement. My Model X will destroy the Z up to about 90mph I bet. I have never gone that fast, so can't test it.

I am sure my Z can kill a Model 3 at the track, the car is simply heavier and it is a big sedan. Maybe the performance model has enough to overcome it.

LoL!!! 370Z is a true sports car?? I don’t think so. Budget wanna be.

I’m not saying the Model 3 is. It’s not. But the above statement I don’t buy.

Whatever

What is a sports car? It has 2 seats, it has enough power to get out of its own way, it's fast enough, it handles well enough. It's not a 911, but it's faster than a Miata. It's more of a sports car than a Model 3.

AWD is a great buy for your money - $5k to shave a second off your 0-60 *and* you get extra traction in adverse conditions *and* a redundant motor in case of motor failure, *and* an extra source of battery heating in cold conditions. Too bad the efficiency is so inexplicably lower (it should be lower, but not ~10%).

AWD is a great buy for your money - $5k to shave a second off your 0-60

It’s only a 0.6 second difference according to Tesla. LR RWD 0-60 is advertised at 5.1 seconds and LR AWD 0-60 is advertised at 4.5 seconds. Perhaps you are thinking of the difference between the dual motor and performance dual motor which is a full second faster at 3.5 seconds.

I traded in my 370z for a LR RWD. 0-60 is very comparable. Two very different cars. Handling on the Z was superior, it handled twisties much better with hardly any body roll. Having said that, the model 3 is still sporty enough that I don't regret buying it or miss the Z. Long trips in the Model 3 are much more comfortable, the seats in the Z killed my back on long trips. If the AWD was available when I ordered, I would've been tempted to go that route to shave a bit off 0-60 because it isn't adding that much cost for what you get.