Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I had a call from as sales representative at Tesla today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had sales calls before towards the end of quarter (and other times) as a consequence of requesting trade in offers in the past. Tesla’s EOQ pushes are no joke, they go hardcore.

Not seen sizeable discounts and free supercharging for 6k miles (which works out as another £3k or so if you use all of it) before, so I think there probably is something to demand softening.

I was keen on a new M3P when the delta was £10k, but even that was a little too much to swallow. Now it wouldn’t be worth considering. I’m also interested to see what/if this refresh is like, though knowing Tesla it could be even more cost cutting with negligible or negative benefit to the customer.

• Informative
Reactions: GlynG and ACarneiro
Electricity pricing must be playing its part too. Every news and consumer programme on TV is about how people can save a few pounds here and there by switching things off or turning things down. A big EV attraction used to be the massive disparity of fuel costs ... this was enough to push "the undecided" towards committing to the huge financial investment of an electric car. The advantage has been significantly eroded and nowadays the thought of doing anything that might increase electricity bills is a big turn off (literally). Despite the reality that EVs are still cheaper on "fuel", people are understandably uncertain about the future. Petrol/diesel prices going up and down is something we have lived with for years and it seems to be in a separate psychological category than electricity and gas for many people... people have learned to live with it. Taking your "fuel" costs and adding them to your utility bills makes them look scarily high. Tesla and other EV manufacturers are not immune to the caution factor.
Very much agree. The situation isn’t helped by the “popular” media always using the most expensive rapid charger they can find as the benchmark cost of charging an EV. If you have a driveway and can charge using a suitable EV tariff, it’s still far cheaper to drive an EV rather than a petrol car. However, the media frenzy are very much making those waters very murky.

Interesting thing happened today.
I had placed an order about a year ago for a MYP. As the potential delivery date approached, though, a few things happened
- Mr Putin did silly things
- The economy went a bit downhill (high inflation and insane tax load)
- USS got removed
- The resale value of my M3 plummeted

So in the end I decided it wouldn't be very sensible to splurge over £30k to have a heat pump, a bigger boot and a hatchback (much as I'd love all of them) when I absolutely love driving my M3P- and it has been mostly problem free. So I decided to keep it until it dies (hopefully in 15 years or more). I cancelled my MYP order and got a refund on the deposit. The money I would have spent on that upgrade went in part into two more Powerwalls, which should at least save me some money in the long term (maybe).

This morning I had a phone call from a very nice chap at Tesla asking if I would be interested in reconsidering. There are MYPs in inventory for immediate delivery, he said, and there are price cuts (he didn't tell me by how much). Free SuperCharging thrown in as well.

It was very tempting but I still said no.

I had never heard of Tesla going out of their way to push sales so I suspect the MYPs may not be as popular here as initially expected. That, along with free Supercharging and the resurrection of the referral programme does make me wonder what's going on...
@ACarneiro I'm in a similar position to you as I am cancelling my M3LR order which was due for delivery this month and keeping my 2019 M3LR. However, Tesla are refusing to refund my £200 deposit.

I've read the various threads about this and am in a back and forth via email to inform Tesla about their obligations under Distance Selling Regulations but I'm wondering why some customers (like me) have to do a merry dance to get a refund whilst others just get refunded straight up.

Did you have to push hard to get refunded or was it straightforward?

@ACarneiro I'm in a similar position to you as I am cancelling my M3LR order which was due for delivery this month and keeping my 2019 M3LR. However, Tesla are refusing to refund my £200 deposit.

I've read the various threads about this and am in a back and forth via email to inform Tesla about their obligations under Distance Selling Regulations but I'm wondering why some customers (like me) have to do a merry dance to get a refund whilst others just get refunded straight up.

It was pretty straightforward, really.
As is far too often the case with Tesla I suspect it’ll very much depend on the individual at the other end of the line :/

Reactions: MikeeUK
It gets to the point that they can’t just keep churning out max capacity from factories and expect to sell ‘every one’ in the UK market.

Tesla are grossly overpriced ... other brands allowed deliveries to stretch to 24+ months, Tesla raised price each time the delivery period got extended as a demand-cooling-lever. Coupled with that they have opened new factories, significantly increasing production, and have things like the US Rebate coming in from January, which will have cooled sales there (Texas factory coming on stream will have reduced sales of China variants on US soil, and make MIC available in other markets, and MIG output rising increases availability in EU - and also reduces requirement for MIC in EU ... so there is scope of MIC cars to be pushed into any markets where cost effective).

My view is that is a lot more production, and probably a fair number of cancelled orders from customers anxious about economic state. Tesla dropping the price by a penny impacts their bottom line, of course, but they, compared to other marques, have a huge margin available for a price war, - Tesla's build-hours-per-car is the envy of their competitors.

The tech is moving so fast, people are getting weary. ... There is nothing ‘new’.

I've owned Teslas since 2015, typically owning for 3 years. The amount of "new stuff" that has come OTA is extraordinary. Some of it very useful / welcome, some of it of amusement value only, and some of it of no interest to me. And some of it much hoped for and never arrived (wipers ...)

No requirement for "return to dealer" for the drive-train elements (unlike competitors) and all upgrades without any subscription.

e.g. "Rather than just the crash test data (e.g. Head-on, acute-angle and side-impact) we have used real-world data from actual crashes to improve the deployment of airbags" ... I can remember when you had to buy a new model, of Volvo :), to get that sort of improvement. Might be my life that that saves ...

Fart Mode, when it first came in, was pretty niche ... I would have thought that the recent Apple Music was of broad appeal (if not to me, personally)

So being a Tesla Owner gets you a lot, over the ownership period. I think the new buyer should be aware of what they might get over-lifetime-ownership, rather than whether This Cool Widget is better than the Brand X Ones

I think it’s probably more to do with the fact that they have some royally pissed shareholders right now

I think that they have a lot of cars to sell that aren't pre-allocated. They manufactured them knowing that, and judged which markets would be able to absorb them. I would have expected them to favour left-hand-drive for that - more countries across EU where they could find sales ... so my take is that Tesla reckon that UK can absorb a fair few.

We've had plenty of this in the past (may seem a BIG amount now, but as a percentage of growing sales I doubt it is more than in the past). I've always thought this is part of their PR ... lots of people place an order and wait for "Next Quarter", or perhaps the one beyond that ... but having people who get a car "tomorrow", and then telling their mates, I think is good for brand awareness PR

They have frequently sold the shop floor cars as part of quarter end pushes, nothing that unusual.

This.

I reckon a fair few "ex demo" have done no miles at all - might have been sat in by people whilst parked in a shopping mall. Or maybe "none at all", and "ex demo" is actually just "available"

Reactions: Danzr and Beady3647
I read they’re even selling off their showroom and demo models, so maybe you’re onto something.
They seem to sell their demo stock every quarter so nothing unusual there but they also seem to be selling very new showroom stock too which is nothing more that pre-registering vehicles and giving a discount - many of these vehicles are MY RWD which have only been in the country for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: boombap
Tesla are grossly overpriced ... other brands allowed deliveries to stretch to 24+ months, Tesla raised price each time the delivery period got extended as a demand-cooling-lever. Coupled with that they have opened new factories, significantly increasing production, and have things like the US Rebate coming in from January, which will have cooled sales there (Texas factory coming on stream will have reduced sales of China variants on US soil, and make MIC available in other markets, and MIG output rising increases availability in EU - and also reduces requirement for MIC in EU ... so there is scope of MIC cars to be pushed into any markets where cost effective).

My view is that is a lot more production, and probably a fair number of cancelled orders from customers anxious about economic state. Tesla dropping the price by a penny impacts their bottom line, of course, but they, compared to other marques, have a huge margin available for a price war, - Tesla's build-hours-per-car is the envy of their competitors.

I've owned Teslas since 2015, typically owning for 3 years. The amount of "new stuff" that has come OTA is extraordinary. Some of it very useful / welcome, some of it of amusement value only, and some of it of no interest to me. And some of it much hoped for and never arrived (wipers ...)

No requirement for "return to dealer" for the drive-train elements (unlike competitors) and all upgrades without any subscription.

e.g. "Rather than just the crash test data (e.g. Head-on, acute-angle and side-impact) we have used real-world data from actual crashes to improve the deployment of airbags" ... I can remember when you had to buy a new model, of Volvo :), to get that sort of improvement. Might be my life that that saves ...

Fart Mode, when it first came in, was pretty niche ... I would have thought that the recent Apple Music was of broad appeal (if not to me, personally)

So being a Tesla Owner gets you a lot, over the ownership period. I think the new buyer should be aware of what they might get over-lifetime-ownership, rather than whether This Cool Widget is better than the Brand X Ones

I think that they have a lot of cars to sell that aren't pre-allocated. They manufactured them knowing that, and judged which markets would be able to absorb them. I would have expected them to favour left-hand-drive for that - more countries across EU where they could find sales ... so my take is that Tesla reckon that UK can absorb a fair few.

We've had plenty of this in the past (may seem a BIG amount now, but as a percentage of growing sales I doubt it is more than in the past). I've always thought this is part of their PR ... lots of people place an order and wait for "Next Quarter", or perhaps the one beyond that ... but having people who get a car "tomorrow", and then telling their mates, I think is good for brand awareness PR

This.

I reckon a fair few "ex demo" have done no miles at all - might have been sat in by people whilst parked in a shopping mall. Or maybe "none at all", and "ex demo" is actually just "available"
Great post, deserves more upvotes than I'm able to give it.

• Love
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Given the fuss over the removal of radar (warranted or not, can't tell here as we still have it) they may be concerned about the 'HD' radar re-introduction leaving them holding any '22 stock which will be branded unsellable by the media. Combo of that and more info about 'highland' M3 potentially starting to leak out in Jan, they may just be dumping as much stock as they can. As other have said, they have upped the price a number of times recently and it is presumably better to do a temporary dip at the end of quarter over a formal price reduction.

I was encouraged into my 2019 p- through phone calls, all be it that it was me calling them...

UK has to be a hard market just now tho between interest rates, actual heating costs and everyone that is converting to heating their homes by candle as per social media advice :rolleyes:.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Interesting thing happened today.
I had placed an order about a year ago for a MYP. As the potential delivery date approached, though, a few things happened
- Mr Putin did silly things
- The economy went a bit downhill (high inflation and insane tax load)
- USS got removed
- The resale value of my M3 plummeted

So in the end I decided it wouldn't be very sensible to splurge over £30k to have a heat pump, a bigger boot and a hatchback (much as I'd love all of them) when I absolutely love driving my M3P- and it has been mostly problem free. So I decided to keep it until it dies (hopefully in 15 years or more). I cancelled my MYP order and got a refund on the deposit. The money I would have spent on that upgrade went in part into two more Powerwalls, which should at least save me some money in the long term (maybe).

This morning I had a phone call from a very nice chap at Tesla asking if I would be interested in reconsidering. There are MYPs in inventory for immediate delivery, he said, and there are price cuts (he didn't tell me by how much). Free SuperCharging thrown in as well.

It was very tempting but I still said no.

I had never heard of Tesla going out of their way to push sales so I suspect the MYPs may not be as popular here as initially expected. That, along with free Supercharging and the resurrection of the referral programme does make me wonder what's going on...

Steering wheel is also much thinner (grip is thinner) than on model 3.

Yes had the same issue I did a charge back through my credit card was a piss take got my money back they are now saying none refundable even though changed the delivery date three times do a charge back the only way

Reactions: MikeeUK
Well I thought I would share my story on here as my 1st post.

Ordered a MYLR at the end of Oct 22, got an ETA of Jan-Mar 23 and a est tradin value of my car for £26k (both on the Tesla site and the CS person at the showroom) which is its trade in value. Anyway I got a phone call a few weeks later offering me a car but my EV wall charger wasn't going to be installed until the start of Dec so declined. I wasn't ready anyway but still was happy to get the call.

Anyway, last week I got a phone call from someone (a Reading number) who said they had some MYLR spare and would I like one, I said yes thats great and found a nice model Y but I would have to travel to the NEC to collect. As they hadn't completed my tradein on their side I asked if that would be done, the guy said yes so I was happy to accept. So the tradein part was done and WOOOOW! it wasn't just a little under but several £££k's under value so I reached out. I was told the offer can't be changed so I told them if I have to sell my car privately I can't travel to the NEC (I'm Newcastle way) so was told I would get a call from the NEC team that day. 3 days later on Saturday evening I get a call, someone from the NEC team, so I explained the situation and told them I wouldn't accept the car. After over 30 mins of the 'hard sell' which was getting nowhere as I was willing to accept the tradein if they discounted the car's features but seeing Tesla don't budge it was pointless. ohh and the 6,000 supercharger miles wasn't applicable to me either as I pointed out this 'freebie'.

So after been told the NEC pick would be removed from my account and I would go back onto the waiting list (my choice) I thought nothing of it, then I get a text asking me to complete my pre-delivery tasks and to book the colllection appointment. I then got another text telling me the same and so I text back saying NO. Now this evening I get a text telling my my collection is set for 28/12/22 @ 3pm for a car I told the person Saturday I wasn't going to accept.

So not only is Tesla doing the 'hard sell' but now ignoring new customer wishes, forcing collection time/dates and sending texts to tell me to settle the outstanding balance.

This is my 1st Tesla, my 1st EV car and if this is how they treat new customers then I think a trip to Nissan, Hyunda or even BMW is on the cards for me. Shame really as I do like the MYLR but my experience with Tesla to date isn't turning out to be a good one.

Reactions: CWT3LR
I expect price cuts are coming as @upgraded pointed out.

I don't think this is just a Tesla issue. Cars have been increasing in price and discounts have been hard to come by for a couple of years.

People could stomach this as financing was cheap and they were often only looking at monthly costs.

On top of this, the shortage of new cars was making trade in values extremely strong. People were trading in two year old cars for as much as they paid for them. Why not switch to a newer car for next to nothing.

With higher interest rates and lower trade in values, the cost to get in to a new car has increased massively in the last few months. Coupled with better supply of new cars, I think a price war is coming.

Already you can get over a 10% discount on an ID4, a car that theoretically has a 12 month waiting list.

When I look at the price of the EQS SUV and Volvo EX90 (I was so close to reserving an EX90 to replace my Model X) I think that pricing has got out of whack with reality and needs to come down. I just couldn't bring myself to sign up for a £100k Volvo. I think that the car manufacturers have a false impression of the demand for their cars and are in for a shock.

Sales calls and texts are nothing new for Tesla. They use them to offer "demand levers" to temporairly reduce inventory. Clear the decks of current production to make way for fresh incoming production. Tesla has good margins, so they can offer discounts and still remain profitable.
In the USA they are currently doing similar things as there is a proposed tax credit coming next year. Offering a "Bird in the Hand" discount for deliveries before the EOY for some is better than gambling that the tax credit will apply to them if they wait till 2023.

Reactions: boombap
Tesla have no dealers so carrying over stock from cancelled orders at the end of the quarter kills cashflow, any modest slowdown can quickly snowball. Last thing they need at the moment with Elon burning everything he touches as he goes full Howard Hughes.

They can lower production to match market conditions (hence China production cut) and open sales in new markets, but having no dealers can really turn into a liquidity issue.

Agree all car prices are crazy, that was fuelled by low interest rates which made financing them easy. I would hazard a guess that the whole industry business model (not just Tesla) is going to feel a bit of stress over the next few years as the era of free money ends. And if you think Tesla are in a spot imagine trying to shift a 150k Range Rover, at least Tesla have margins to help absorb the problem. They aren't even sellng the S and X here. There is pent up demand for those irrespective of the above conditions.

Reactions: boombap and Durzel
...then I get a text asking me to complete my pre-delivery tasks and to book the colllection appointment. I then got another text telling me the same and so I text back saying NO. Now this evening I get a text telling my my collection is set for 28/12/22 @ 3pm for a car I told the person Saturday I wasn't going to accept...
Standard Tesla communication I'm afraid.

I was going to be in the USA for 6 weeks during the most likely Q4 collection slot for my Model Y. So I called into my local SC before travelling & the really helpful guy who finalised my Model 3 in 2020 put numerous messages on my a/c to the effect of 'don't arrange collection until after 1st December, don't send any Android texts to communicate, only use email'. He repeated the message eight times in huge bold capitals & showed me (I can't reply to Android texts on my phone plan from USA unless I subscribe to £5/day)

Nevertheless I got similar text messages to @Forcefire continually bombarding me with a choice of 24, 25 or 26th November collection, all being dates while still overseas. Four phone calls back to Tesla UK with random SC personnel answering and promising to sort achieved nothing so the automated texts just kept coming. Eventually a really helpful Tesla chat guy called David did sort it out and I was given 1st December (seven days from the earliest offered date otherwise Tesla would cancel). He sent me the final invoice & registration so I paid the balance two weeks before returning and then for another week I received daily texts telling me to pay the balance (my account had shown zero owing within a few hours of paying). Only when another of the people who had been involved with my original Model 3 spotted what was going on did she intervene and finally put a stop to this ridiculous and frustrating process.

As an existing Tesla customer I actually expected all this, they never improve.

There’s that HD radar that Tesla have stated they’re releasing in January. Don’t know what it relates to, but there’s definitely snippets here and there.
Radar is expected to go back into productions (perhaps more efficient that previous versions) so this will obviously impact those who have orders that can be delivered --> explains why Tesla are incentivising deliveries before yer end

[/QUOTE]
I expect price cuts are coming as @upgraded pointed out.

I don't think this is just a Tesla issue. Cars have been increasing in price and discounts have been hard to come by for a couple of years.

Not just cars, I've just bought a new eBike for 65% of the original list price from the manfacture - would have been impossible 6 months ago to get any discount!! The cost of living squeeze is only starting to show, and expensive 'luxury' stuff is getting hit first, even Rolex are dropping prices.

But all this stuff is nothing compared to the big ticket item, house prices. I'm acutally surprised house prices haven't fallen much yet, but employment rates are still very high so mortgage repostitions I would guess are still low.

In the current economic outlook anyone who's biggest worry is the purchase price of a Tesla (or eBike) should count themselves lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.